Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Pig ignorant lie, you have ingested plenty of legal drugs.

Wasnt meant to fool anyone, f****it.

language

Pig ignorant lie, you have ingested plenty of legal drugs.

Reply to
JohnH

Hi all

Thought i should supply a bit more info, sorry for the silence, been working steady the last week or so.

The infrared sensor I use is one of the Packard Bell Fast media Remotes, not sure what's inside them. I don't know much (stuff all really) about electronics, so a lot of the comments here went over my head.

The software for the remote is called Dosgir, this is just a little TSR program that converts the signals into keystrokes, any remote can be trained to input commands. My mp3 software is called mpxplay, a brilliant little dos mp3 player that is controlled by keyboard, mouse or joystick. so the remotes work well for song change, pause, volume etc.

because dosgir is configured to watch just one serial port I can't just add another port, so thats the reason for 2 sensors on one port.

The computer is located in the shed under a window and I just want control from just outside that window near the pool, but using the remote thru the window is out, as the are blacked out for the home theatre setup in the shed. so I don't need to run a cable very far.

If it's not possible to double them up, i'm thinking of just setting up a button on the remote to run a small batch file to unload dosgir and then reload it using a different port, this should work ok just not as pretty as having 2 sensors working at once.

one other thing I was thinking of was a splitter box with switch to select a different sensor while both are on the same port, anybody see any problems with that ? would a simple switch do the job if it has enough poles for the sensor, or would I need a proper switch box? I've got a old parallel one laying around somewhere, so i might see if i can hunt up a serial one. not sure if this will upset the software, but I can try just by pulling the sensor plug out and plugging it back in to see what happens anyway.

cheers

Reply to
Dee