Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Hi all

I have a old P100 PC in the shed running DOS for a MP3 player, it's
equipped with a infrared sensor on the serial port for control by
remote.

What i'm wondering is it possible to splice another infrared sensor in
parallel to the existing one, so i can run the PC from outside the shed
as well as inside. So infact have 2 infrared sensors wired to the same
serial port.

Another serial port card is out of the question, due to the software
only able to access one port at a time, guess it's not really out of the
question, i could do it thru different boot loaders, but i couldn't have
both sensors working at the same time.

My other option is a remote extender, but seeing i already have a spare
infrared sensor it's the cheapest option.

Personally i can't see a problem as it's only recieving signals, but
thought i'd throw it past you ppl as well.

I'd probably make a "double serial adaptor" instead of butchering up the
plugs on both sensors.

cheers Dee

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Its not going to work, you cant just have a double adapter for serial lines.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

It might work just wiring them in parallel, it might not.

you might need to fit an and or or and gate of some sort between the sensors.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Similar things have worked for others in the past.

if the sensors send automatically when they receive an infrared signal
and remain silent at other times wiring both to the same port should work.

it really depends on the protocol they use, if there's a dialigue between
the sensor and the computer it's npt going to work, but if all the data
flows in one direction there's no reason for it not to work.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Give us a sample cct diagram

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

assming the signal line is low in the idle state (like a normal async rs232
connection) a resistor-diode or gate like the below could work.

 in1  --+-[1K5]--+----- out
        |        |
        `-->|----+

 in2  --+-[1K5]--+
        |        |
        `-->|----'

 getting it to actually work depends on the source device having being able
 to overcome pull-down resistor attached to the other device.

 if that doesn't work something like this might.

                         +V

   in1    |\              10K
   -------|-\              |
          |  >----+---|<---+          +V
       .--|+/     |        |         |
       |  |/      |        |       |\|
       +--[68K]---+        |       |  >-----
       |                   |    .--|+/
      10K                  |    |  |/|
       |                   |    |    |
     --+--                 |  --+--   -V
     /////                 |  /////

   in2    |\               |
   -------|-\              |
          |  >----+---|<---+
       .--|+/     |
       |  |/      |
       |          |
       +--[68K]---+

      10K

     --+---
     /////

   the data rate (as opposed to the modulation frequency) of most infrared
   remotes is only around 1200 bps so even abusing a quad op-amp like that
   will probably work.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Nope, not one.

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

Nope.

work,
work.

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Please explain.

Please define silent? It can never work

It has nothing to do with the protocol or data flow

The only way it could possible work is if you could drive the output
of the 'sensor' into a hi-z mode, essentially isolating it from the
other device. There is no other possible way to make this work.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

A thread a few months ago in abse discussed putting two DTEs in parallel
on the same end of a serial line...

emitting a constant voltage on the output pin.

It doesn't need to be hi-z, if the wires are reasonable short converting
them both to open-emitter is enough - a diode each can do that,

pulldown can possibly be got from the output of idle unit.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

"Rod Speed"

You clearly don't have clue how an IR detector works.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Irrelevant when paralleling them at the RS232 level.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

The OP didn't say anything about doing any such thing.  He wanted to
know, "What i'm wondering is it possible to splice another infrared
sensor in parallel to the existing one.....".  Sounds clear enough to
me.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

--
Kwyj
Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

reading
make a
sensors.'

Didn't you read this part: "What i'm wondering is it possible to splice
another infrared sensor in parallel to the existing one, so i can run
the PC from outside the shed as well as inside. So infact have 2
infrared sensors wired to the same serial port"?

Apparently, neither you nor Rod know how most of these IR receivers
work.  They do not use TXD or RXD pins of the serial port, they
communicate by pulling the DCD pin low.  IOW, two sensors can be wired
in parallel at any level you'd like as long as only one is active at a
time.

Clear now?

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Agreed entirely (although I'm from Oz too, and we're not all filthy mouths).
Although he has much sense to say his language and dismissive attitude (eg
'wrong - as always') spoils it utterly, so I have killfiled him to remove
the pollution from my screen but IMHO if people will keep replying quoting
the filth this defeats the purpose of a killfile.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

mouths).

I know or I wouldn't bother.  I didn't intend to insinuate that you all
were.  :-)

(eg
remove
quoting

Sorry, I'll edit them better.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

OK mate (says he, top posting). They all do it. It's established Usenet
custom but it does have that weakness. Filth gets propagated even if the
perpetrator is killfiled!

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

"Rod Speed" absolutely nothing of a factual or argumentative nature.

You're really pitiful.

Re: Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Some silly little terminal fuckwit child claiming to
desperately attempted to bullshit its way out of its
predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

Site Timeline