Dual Serial Input for Infrared control?

Hi all

I have a old P100 PC in the shed running DOS for a MP3 player, it's equipped with a infrared sensor on the serial port for control by remote.

What i'm wondering is it possible to splice another infrared sensor in parallel to the existing one, so i can run the PC from outside the shed as well as inside. So infact have 2 infrared sensors wired to the same serial port.

Another serial port card is out of the question, due to the software only able to access one port at a time, guess it's not really out of the question, i could do it thru different boot loaders, but i couldn't have both sensors working at the same time.

My other option is a remote extender, but seeing i already have a spare infrared sensor it's the cheapest option.

Personally i can't see a problem as it's only recieving signals, but thought i'd throw it past you ppl as well.

I'd probably make a "double serial adaptor" instead of butchering up the plugs on both sensors.

cheers Dee

Reply to
Dee

Its not going to work, you cant just have a double adapter for serial lines.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It might work just wiring them in parallel, it might not.

you might need to fit an and or or and gate of some sort between the sensors.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The only way that could possibly work would be to have the remote photodiode in parallel with the internal one (Not at the serial port level)

--
Kwyj
Reply to

Many years ago, when serial ports were common on mini computers, I have seen a bar-code scanner connected in parallel with a terminal on a single serial port. IIRC it involved fitting a diode (1N914 ?) in the bar-code reader's Tx line. Being only a reader of course, there was no Rx line.

This worked reasonably well, the only problem we had was that the combination would not work at a distance ie a couple of floors down in a fairly large library building. A 'wedge' connected reader, ie one that connected in series with the terminal's keyboard was the only solution at that distance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch

Similar things have worked for others in the past.

if the sensors send automatically when they receive an infrared signal and remain silent at other times wiring both to the same port should work.

it really depends on the protocol they use, if there's a dialigue between the sensor and the computer it's npt going to work, but if all the data flows in one direction there's no reason for it not to work.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Give us a sample cct diagram

Reply to
two bob

jasen wrote

Nope, not one.

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

Nope.

work,

work.

You clearly dont have a clue how RS232 actually works.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Rod Speed"

You clearly don't have clue how an IR detector works.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Anthony Fremont wrote

Irrelevant when paralleling them at the RS232 level.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The OP didn't say anything about doing any such thing. He wanted to know, "What i'm wondering is it possible to splice another infrared sensor in parallel to the existing one.....". Sounds clear enough to me.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Wrong.

You might want to remove your foot from your mouth, then continue reading the rest of his post. Particularly the bit that says 'I'd probably make a "double serial adaptor" instead of butchering up the plugs on both sensors.'

Clear now?

Reply to
Kwyjibo

Anthony Fremont wrote

I wasnt commenting on what the OP said, I was clearly JUST commenting on what that fool 'Jansen' said.

Do TRY to keep up.

More fool you.

Reply to
Rod Speed

reading

make a

sensors.'

Didn't you read this part: "What i'm wondering is it possible to splice another infrared sensor in parallel to the existing one, so i can run the PC from outside the shed as well as inside. So infact have 2 infrared sensors wired to the same serial port"?

Apparently, neither you nor Rod know how most of these IR receivers work. They do not use TXD or RXD pins of the serial port, they communicate by pulling the DCD pin low. IOW, two sensors can be wired in parallel at any level you'd like as long as only one is active at a time.

Clear now?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Please explain.

Please define silent? It can never work

It has nothing to do with the protocol or data flow

The only way it could possible work is if you could drive the output of the 'sensor' into a hi-z mode, essentially isolating it from the other device. There is no other possible way to make this work.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Agreed entirely (although I'm from Oz too, and we're not all filthy mouths). Although he has much sense to say his language and dismissive attitude (eg 'wrong - as always') spoils it utterly, so I have killfiled him to remove the pollution from my screen but IMHO if people will keep replying quoting the filth this defeats the purpose of a killfile.

Reply to
<aalaan

mouths).

I know or I wouldn't bother. I didn't intend to insinuate that you all were. :-)

(eg

remove

quoting

Sorry, I'll edit them better.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

"Rod Speed" absolutely nothing of a factual or argumentative nature.

You're really pitiful.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

OK mate (says he, top posting). They all do it. It's established Usenet custom but it does have that weakness. Filth gets propagated even if the perpetrator is killfiled!

Reply to
<aalaan