DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

DSE and Tandy have both posted safety recall notices for the whole range of
"Digitor" adaptors:

http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/support/prodrecall_adaptor.pdf

Seems the darn things fall apart in your fingers.

............   Phil

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

Old news. They announced that recall around mid May.

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

"nva"

**  The notice is dated May 25th   -  never posted here before.

   Have you seen it in the daily papers ??

...........   Phil

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

I seem to recall reading it in the terrorgraph, sometime last week,
hidden amongst the rest of the rubbish they call news in there...

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

"eeviil inc."

**  I was in the  DSE  Burwood store today and did not see any notice.

Then I was not looking for one.

Wonder how long before DSE electrocutes another customer  :-(

...........    Phil

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:49:22 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Another ?  have they electrocuted any already ?
Actually I hate to think of the effect of rectified and filtered mains
(quite deadly) voltage on unwary fingers.  (assuming these are a
switchmode supply)

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

"KLR"
 "Phil Allison"

**  At least one that I know of.

 He died while working on a Musicolour IV kit.

 His missus sued DSE  -  unsuccessfully as it turned out.

**  All the cat. numbers in the notice refer to the "Digitor" SMPS
daptors  - see page 225 of the current catalogue.

You would have to be a *darn* unlucky person to get a shock if a typical
transformer adaptor broke apart  -  but a switching one is likely to be full
of exposed live conductors on the PCB.

 Nasty.

............    Phil

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

  The effect is that it *really* gets your attention. Once I was
working on a partly disassembled JVC (I think) VCR while someone was
chattering in my ear. When I picked it up to move it, my fingers
contacted the rectified mains on the SMPS board and I sure dropped it
again in a hurry! The bloke doing the talking/distracting thought it
was hilarious.

Bob

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

"Bob Parker"

**  Wot  -  no  RCD  used on your work bench   ??

.........    Phil

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

  There always has been since that incident. In this situation I doubt
that an RCD would have helped, because the VCR chassis wasn't earthed.
But I refuse to work on any mains-powered gear without an RCD now.

Bob

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:39:33 +1000, Bob Parker

doesnt matter. thats not how they work. they cut out if
Iactive- Ineutral > 30mA

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

"Arpit"
 Bob Parker

**  That missing 30 mA+  has to go via another path.

...........   Phil

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

  If you don't understand a subject, don't make assumptions which make
it obvious to everyone else.

Re: Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

Got  caught on a monitor many years ago, both hands & couldn't let go.  Finally
managed to pull out the plug with my little finger (the only one I could move).
I'll never forget the smell of burning flesh.  A few skin grafts later & I've
learnt not to touch anything unless it's via a safety switch.

(I hate single pole mains switches, particularly when they're not wired right).

snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au
Re: Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

"Stan Blazejewski"
 "Phil Allison"

**  I had one similar,  VERY frightening experience with a fluoro desk lamp
about 30 years ago.

    Never again.

..........   Phil

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

   I can relate to both those very nasty experiences. I was holding a
preamp vertically on its side on the bench, with one hand flat against
the bare bottom cover. With my free hand I thought I was reaching for
the power button on the front panel, but somehow touched the terminals
of the switch itself on the inside of the front panel.
   It was like getting kicked in the chest by a horse, and of course
this instantly broke the connection. I got only a minor burn on my
finger, but I was very lucky. An RCD would have tripped if I'd used
one.
   Now that I think back, I always used an RCD after that, so I
probably was powering that VCR through one. Both happened over 12
years ago, and my memory ain't that good these days...

Bob

Re: Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

A RCD is of no use if your hands are across the active and neutral with no
leakage to ground.
Under these conditions you would simply appear to be a "load" across the
supply and the current would flow through you from active to neutral, rather
than from active to earth .  In the former situation it would not make any
difference unless you were able to establish an appreciable imbalance in
current flowing in the active lead compared to the neutral lead, and the
only way you could do that is to have more current flowing from active to
earth than via the active to neutral circuit.

Albeit there is no doubt RCD safety switches save lives, where the current
flows from and to, determines their effectiveness and if they operate at
all.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

less deadly than unfiltered unrectified current though

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

I like the Sub Directory they filed it in,

isroot  ..

Re: DSE/Tandy recall SM adaptors

they left the "ed" off though ....

Site Timeline