DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

: > Why are there so many of the one channel? Is this a STB fault : > or the way it's supposed to be? : : You should delete these duplicates or at least turn skip on. Also there's no : point having HD on an SD box, so delete those too. Then you'll have less : repeats when flicking channels.

Unless you contemplate switching the SD box to another TV?

--
David Barnett
Reply to

You do realise DSE, Tandy and Big W are all owned by Woolworths?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

They all do that..

Reply to
Allan

"> You do realise DSE, Tandy and Big W are all owned by Woolworth's?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Horace Wachope" Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:15 PM Subject: Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited ....

Did you also know that Woolworth's own, Safeway, Food For Less, Woolworth's Liquor, BWS, First Estate, Dan Murphy's, Plus Petrol, BIG W, Woolworths Ezy Banking, Woolworths HomeShop and GreenGrocer.

That's just unbelievable.. employing over 145 thousand people, and they still selling transistors, fruit and veg and booze..:>

PS EVICT HOTDOGS - Call 1902 5555 62 or SMS 19 10 10 with the message 'Hotdogs'

Reply to
Allan

And they own the ALH group of hotels

wtf is that supposed to mean ^^^

Reply to
The Real Andy

They were genuine cannon catridges. I think big-w is the cheapest.

I am about to buy a Cannon i9950 printer (photogrophy is one of my hobbies) so it will be intersting to find out what those cartridges are worth, considering it has eight ink tanks... Umart

lists each cartridge at $23 for the i9950. The BCI-24 that i currently use is listed at $30 for a color, big-w from memory sells 2 for not much more that this.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I'm guessing you actually went into a DSE "PowerHouse", not a regular DSE store. The PowerHouses no carry only the basic kids learning type kits, the former EA/SC/ETI kits section being replaced with small consumer whitegoods. It appears as though Woolworths have decided that PowerHouse stores will be nothing but a BigW electrical section on sterioids, which is fine, most of the staff there seem to be on an intellectual level with supermarket kiddies.

The regular DSE stores still stock kits, parts and so on as they always have.

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

yeap thats normal. TV stations will use the other channels for extra content during special events, such as the Olympics, Grand Finals and so on. For instance, Channel 7 when it was broadcasting the Olympics used a secondary channel for stats on the various sportspeople competing in the event shown. Years ago Channel 10 during Bathurst used each channel for a different view of the circuit, in car cameras, pitlane interviews and a timesheet. When there is nothing special being broadcast they usually just repeat what is on the main channel.

Don't delete the HD channels as someone suggested, Channel 9 have been known to use their HD channel as a secondary SD channel. They did this just recently with the special on Pompe.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

Have not deleted them just set them so that I skip over them

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

But DSE / Tandy in 2005 are nothing like they were say 25 years ago.. They sold better stuff back then IMHO

Playmaster amplifiers for one thing from DSE

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

the

is

Hasn't this always been the case? You don't expect them to pay for actual technicians or engineers do you. Anybody actually wanting kits or parts will almost certainly have more knowledge of electronics than the sales people in most similar stores.

So does my local DSE Powerhouse.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Once upon a time Mike Paull decided to write:

I deleted, but do I just rescan to find them again?

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.
Reply to

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:28:16 +1000, (or one of their many personalities) said......

I once bought an Epson cartridge from a Dick Smith Powerhouse. I then went to David Jones and saw the same cartridge for $20 less (standard price, not on sale, etc). Needless to say I bought the cartridge from DJs and returned the DSE one....

Reply to
Josh B

I dont think this has *always* been the case. Even in the early 90s you could find very knowledgable people in DSE stores, guys that were hardcore into electronics, built kits, experimented. One of my friends that worked for DSE had a degree in electrical engineering and continued to work in the company for many years before finally moving on to a design based job.

I know this isn't the case anymore, however there are still some hardcore electronics guys in stores, few and far between now, but occasionally you do come across them. And, from what I can gather, your most likely to find decent service in regular DSE stores than in Powerhouses, not sure why, but thats the feedback I get.

not for much longer... enjoy it while they still have stock.

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

I once bought a memory card from JB Hifi. I then went to a DSE store and saw the same capacity card for $50 less.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

yeah, do a rescan and they'll be back :)

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

the

Sure, there may still be the odd exception in a store somewhere. Who knows. It was never common though IME.

but

Some of the older stores have longer serving staff I guess. Even a counter monkey can learn something if he does it long enough.

I do hope you are wrong. Not that I buy much there anyway, but it is handy when I am after a resistor or something in a hurry.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Maybe it was the stores I was dealing with.

Yeap, as long as they are willing to learn.

I tend to think of Powerhouses now as electrical supermarkets and regular stores as the 7-11 of electronics stores.

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull