DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited - Page 2

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

But DSE / Tandy in 2005 are nothing like they were
say 25 years ago..  They sold better stuff back
then IMHO

Playmaster amplifiers for one thing from DSE

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

the
is

Hasn't this always been the case? You don't expect them to pay for actual
technicians or engineers do you.
Anybody actually wanting kits or parts will almost certainly have more
knowledge of electronics than the sales people in most similar stores.

So does my local DSE Powerhouse.

MrT.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

I dont think this has *always* been the case. Even in the early 90s you
could find very knowledgable people in DSE stores, guys that were hardcore
into electronics, built kits, experimented. One of my friends that worked
for DSE had a degree in electrical engineering and continued to work in the
company for many years before finally moving on to a design based job.

I know this isn't the case anymore, however there are still some hardcore
electronics guys in stores, few and far between now, but occasionally you
do come across them. And, from what I can gather, your most likely to find
decent service in regular DSE stores than in Powerhouses, not sure why, but
thats the feedback I get.

not for much longer... enjoy it while they still have stock.

mike

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

the

Sure, there may still be the odd exception in a store somewhere. Who knows.
It was never common though IME.

but

Some of the older stores have longer serving staff I guess. Even a counter
monkey can learn something if he does it long enough.

I do hope you are wrong. Not that I buy much there anyway, but it is handy
when I am after a resistor or something in a hurry.

MrT.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Maybe it was the stores I was dealing with.

Yeap, as long as they are willing to learn.

I tend to think of Powerhouses now as electrical supermarkets and regular
stores as the 7-11 of electronics stores.

mike

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:28:16 +1000,  (or one of their many personalities)
said......

I once bought an Epson cartridge from a Dick Smith Powerhouse. I then went
to David Jones and saw the same cartridge for $20 less (standard price,
not on sale, etc). Needless to say I bought the cartridge from DJs and
returned the DSE one....

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:57:48 +1000, Josh B

I once bought a memory card from JB Hifi. I then went to a DSE store and
saw the same capacity card for $50 less.

Mike

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Even better, 14 days.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Once upon a time Kissing Lettuce decided to write:

You should delete these duplicates or at least turn skip on. Also there's no
point having HD on an SD box, so delete those too. Then you'll have less
repeats when flicking channels.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Actually it's funny that it even receives the HD
in that you get all the audio and the screen
displays a  box that says that it is a HD broadcast.

Pity it can't be hacked to permit a picture, but that
might involve more circuitry I guess...

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Actually it's funny that it even receives the HD

My SD box displays the picture on the HD channel, but it's jerky.
Watchable if you had nothing else I guess.

Dave :)

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Why? You wouldn't get a HD picture, and you probably haven't got a HD TV
anyway.

You think? Maybe that's why the HD box costs more.:-)

MrT.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

They all do that..

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

<snip>

: > Why are there so many of the one channel? Is this a STB fault
: > or the way it's supposed to be?
:
: You should delete these duplicates or at least turn skip on. Also there's
no
: point having HD on an SD box, so delete those too. Then you'll have less
: repeats when flicking channels.

Unless you contemplate switching the SD box to another TV?
--
David Barnett

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:32:21 +0930, Kissing Lettuce

yeap thats normal. TV stations will use the other channels for extra
content during special events, such as the Olympics, Grand Finals and so
on. For instance, Channel 7 when it was broadcasting the Olympics used a
secondary channel for stats on the various sportspeople competing in the
event shown. Years ago Channel 10 during Bathurst used each channel for a
different view of the circuit, in car cameras, pitlane interviews and a
timesheet. When there is nothing special being broadcast they usually just
repeat what is on the main channel.

Don't delete the HD channels as someone suggested, Channel 9 have been
known to use their HD channel as a secondary SD channel. They did this just
recently with the special on Pompe.

Mike

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Have not deleted them just set them so that I skip over them

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Once upon a time Mike Paull decided to write:

I deleted, but do I just rescan to find them again?

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:27:15 +1000, "Chriz"

yeah, do a rescan and they'll be back :)

mike

Site Timeline