DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Do digital channels get duplicated?

Here is the channel list from my set top box and I'm wondering if
this is correct.   Everything is there except channel 7 of course
which I will be fixing in the next few weeks with an outdoor antenna...

ABC HDTV
ABC TV
ABC ADELAIDE
ABC2
Nine Digital
Nine HD
SBS Digital 1
SBS Digital 2
SBS EPG
SBS HD
Ten Digital
Ten Digital
Ten Digital 1
Ten Digital 2
Ten Digital 3
Ten Guide
Ten Guide
Ten HD

Why are there so many of the one channel? Is this a STB fault
or the way it's supposed to be?

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

"Kissing Lettuce"

 ** Yep.

**  Why not ?

Each channel allocated to a broadcaster ( 6, 8, 1 & 12) has enough bandwidth
to transmit 3 x SD digital signals or 1 x SD signal and 1 HD signal
simultaneously  -  plus various guides, audio only channels  etc.

The broadcasters are allowed to send duplicates and doing this makes sure
your STB has all the possible channels in its tuning memory  -  so when they
do send something new there is no need ot re-scan the band.

 **  The later.

..............   Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Ta thanks Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

It's fine, I and everyone else with a STB has that many channels.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Phew.....  I was a bit worried when there were so many
incarnations of channel 10 but now that I have had a look
at digital there's no way I'll go back to analog with the
ghosting and snowy picture

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

[snip]

Yeah they run multiples for the (unlikely) possibility they use a second
channel for multi-angle views, or extra info (such as Seven during Rugby
World Cup etc). When they are showing the main channel they use almost no
bandwith because they just "point" to the a/v of the main channel. Nine has
used its HD channel a couple of times for extra info (e.g. Pompeii).

I guess Ten and Seven leave theirs on so people don't have to rescan for
events like that (some boxes pick up new channels automatically, others
don't)

Other times you might get multiples could be if channels are broadcasting
from two sites, e.g. in Sydney I pick up both North Shore VHF and Kings
Cross UHF.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Normal as others have said.
Damn annoying to flick through too unless you program "favourites" or
some such, or delete the unwanted channels.
I've got mine programmed so that I can use one set of arrow keys to
flick through 2/7/9/10/SBS for channel surfing, while the other set of
arrows takes you through them all if needed. If I want the guide (not
often), then I find it easier to just jump straight to that channel.
Eg. 7's guide is on 77, 9 on 99, etc.

Dave :)

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Hey, I just tuned mine in last night too and I noticed the same thing.

Trouble is, all the programs are still shite.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Try asking for your money back then! :->

Dave :)

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

You expected otherwise?

Dick Smith still has a 7 day return policy I believe.

MrT.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

14 days actually. It's printed on the bottom of the
sales docket

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

"Kissing Lettuce"

*  The policy was for 7 days since the mid 1970s.

    It changed recently with the new  2004/5 catalogue.

............    Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:25:04 +1000, "Phil Allison"

I would never buy anything from DSE these days......

SO I went to my local Big-W to buy some ink cartridges for my printer
the other day. None in stock. So as I was walking up the other end of
the shopping complex(very small one) i noticed a recent addition, a
DSE. Walked straigt past to the newsagent. $17 for a cartridge. Walked
out and went to DSE. Got 2 for just over $20. So i would buy something
from DSE, but only because Big-W was sold out..

Anyway, looking in the store, no kits...no parts... just the shittiest
consumer crap you can buy, at twice the price of everywhere else. I
can feel a Tandy coming on...

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:28:16 +1000, The Real Andy

Tandy = DSE = Woolworths.

--
EVICT HOTDOGS - Call 1902 5555 62
or

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Were they brand name cartridges or the others like Calidad/Print
rite/etc? and who had the better price?

bubblejet ink prices. Was DSE Set top box.....

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:53:26 +1000, Terry Collins

They were genuine cannon catridges. I think big-w is the cheapest.

I am about to buy a Cannon i9950 printer (photogrophy is one of my
hobbies) so it will be intersting to find out what those cartridges
are worth, considering it has eight ink tanks... Umart
(www.umart.com.au) lists each cartridge at $23 for the i9950. The
BCI-24 that i currently use is listed at $30 for a color, big-w from
memory sells 2 for not much more that this.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

You do realise DSE, Tandy and Big W are all owned by Woolworths?

MrT.