DSE SD Set Top Box Revisited

Do digital channels get duplicated?

Here is the channel list from my set top box and I'm wondering if this is correct. Everything is there except channel 7 of course which I will be fixing in the next few weeks with an outdoor antenna...

ABC HDTV ABC TV ABC ADELAIDE ABC2 Nine Digital Nine HD SBS Digital 1 SBS Digital 2 SBS EPG SBS HD Ten Digital Ten Digital Ten Digital 1 Ten Digital 2 Ten Digital 3 Ten Guide Ten Guide Ten HD

Why are there so many of the one channel? Is this a STB fault or the way it's supposed to be?

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

"Kissing Lettuce"

** Yep.

** Why not ?

Each channel allocated to a broadcaster ( 6, 8, 1 & 12) has enough bandwidth to transmit 3 x SD digital signals or 1 x SD signal and 1 HD signal simultaneously - plus various guides, audio only channels etc.

The broadcasters are allowed to send duplicates and doing this makes sure your STB has all the possible channels in its tuning memory - so when they do send something new there is no need ot re-scan the band.

** The later.

.............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It's fine, I and everyone else with a STB has that many channels.

Reply to
Fish! - of Arcadia.

Ta thanks Phil

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

Phew..... I was a bit worried when there were so many incarnations of channel 10 but now that I have had a look at digital there's no way I'll go back to analog with the ghosting and snowy picture

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

[snip]

Yeah they run multiples for the (unlikely) possibility they use a second channel for multi-angle views, or extra info (such as Seven during Rugby World Cup etc). When they are showing the main channel they use almost no bandwith because they just "point" to the a/v of the main channel. Nine has used its HD channel a couple of times for extra info (e.g. Pompeii).

I guess Ten and Seven leave theirs on so people don't have to rescan for events like that (some boxes pick up new channels automatically, others don't)

Other times you might get multiples could be if channels are broadcasting from two sites, e.g. in Sydney I pick up both North Shore VHF and Kings Cross UHF.

Reply to
Kevin Hendrikssen

Normal as others have said. Damn annoying to flick through too unless you program "favourites" or some such, or delete the unwanted channels. I've got mine programmed so that I can use one set of arrow keys to flick through 2/7/9/10/SBS for channel surfing, while the other set of arrows takes you through them all if needed. If I want the guide (not often), then I find it easier to just jump straight to that channel. Eg. 7's guide is on 77, 9 on 99, etc.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Hey, I just tuned mine in last night too and I noticed the same thing.

Trouble is, all the programs are still s**te.

Reply to
Kevin V. Russell

Try asking for your money back then! :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Once upon a time Kissing Lettuce decided to write:

You should delete these duplicates or at least turn skip on. Also there's no point having HD on an SD box, so delete those too. Then you'll have less repeats when flicking channels.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.
Reply to

Actually it's funny that it even receives the HD in that you get all the audio and the screen displays a box that says that it is a HD broadcast.

Pity it can't be hacked to permit a picture, but that might involve more circuitry I guess...

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

Kissing Lettuce wrote: Actually it's funny that it even receives the HD

My SD box displays the picture on the HD channel, but it's jerky. Watchable if you had nothing else I guess.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

You expected otherwise?

Dick Smith still has a 7 day return policy I believe.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Why? You wouldn't get a HD picture, and you probably haven't got a HD TV anyway.

You think? Maybe that's why the HD box costs more.:-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

14 days actually. It's printed on the bottom of the sales docket
Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

Even better, 14 days.

Reply to
Kevin Hendrikssen

"Kissing Lettuce"

  • The policy was for 7 days since the mid 1970s.

It changed recently with the new 2004/5 catalogue.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I would never buy anything from DSE these days......

SO I went to my local Big-W to buy some ink cartridges for my printer the other day. None in stock. So as I was walking up the other end of the shopping complex(very small one) i noticed a recent addition, a DSE. Walked straigt past to the newsagent. $17 for a cartridge. Walked out and went to DSE. Got 2 for just over $20. So i would buy something from DSE, but only because Big-W was sold out..

Anyway, looking in the store, no kits...no parts... just the shittiest consumer crap you can buy, at twice the price of everywhere else. I can feel a Tandy coming on...

Reply to
The Real Andy

Tandy = DSE = Woolworths.

--
EVICT HOTDOGS - Call 1902 5555 62
or

Were they brand name cartridges or the others like Calidad/Print rite/etc? and who had the better price?

Reply to
Terry Collins