DSE SD Set Top Box - Page 3

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On Wed 6 Jul 2005 at 14:19:01 +1000 Blob wrote in

Sorry, Blob. As far as I know it's the first time one of my TinyURLs has gone
wrong. I don't know why it happened. Shall I compare it to other computerish
things that've been designed to test us?

Anyway, in case anyone is still interested, TinyURL's error message mentions
the original URL as <http://www.poetry-online.org/
shakespeare_sonnet_18_shall_i_compare_thee_to_a_summers_day.htm> (beware of
that linebreak!). Marvellous writing.

--
Arfur Moo

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I hope they're better than their TVs. Which look nice but break a lot (like
mine did).

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Once upon a time ant decided to write:

I've had two experiences with Teac in the past and their products don't seem
to last as long as better brands. I guess they're on the upper scale of the
cheap brand products though because they are known well enough.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

So true I find it a prick to use.I find the RF connection in the back of it
a bit sloppy too.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Return it while you still can!

#1: Would not recieve signal at all.
#2: Left channel sound dead (Staff member trying to convince me it was my
cabling. Produced RCA cable from pocket, inserted into nearest TV, shut him
right up)
#3: Refund.

From what I've seen, digital doesn't need a particularly strong signal to
recreate it on your TV (anything over 60ish percent), you just drop a few
FPS on a worse signal.
Mine picked up extremely well on rabbitears, out near the blue mountains.

Just make sure you try it out before you buy it. If they won't let you,
don't get it.
And screw around with it, if you can't change settings without reading the
manual, forget it ;)

-mark

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

You're one of those really annoying customers.. arn't you .. Ever get the
impression sales people hate you?

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
[ http://www.VIDGuide.com ]

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Thankyou to everyone that replied and offered
advice.... Problem with 7 digital seems to be
mostly solved now...

Using an amplified antenna

I noticed 3 chips while poking around in the box too
but can't seem to find any information via google
and am wondering what else to try.

So far I only found info on one of them.

The chips are as follows

Vdata
P0442E
VDS66164A4A-6

I have found data for this one and it is a I megabit memory
chip

Omega
STI 5518B0C
D1S-G410921
AAAAN  VG
TWN AA 422

MALAYSIA
29LV800TE-90PFTN
8420  F32

If anyone can help with identifying these chips

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:52:23 +0930, Kissing Lettuce
composed:

Microprocessor/decoder/chipset by ST Microelectronics. Datasheet is
probably subject to a NDA.

http://www.st.com/stonline/press/news/year2000/p845p.htm

Low voltage 8Mbit (1Mx8) 90ns flash EEPROM, possibly by Fujitsu.

 ^^^^
If this is a YYWW date code, then I expect it should read "0420".

- Franc Zabkar

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

What's an NDA?  And for that matter I did use
google but could not find the Omega chip.

What did you use for your search query?

I tried various combinations of lines in the printed
text on the actual chips.

I am realy curious now where are you getting your info?

It's definitely 8420 F32

See here
http://www.users.on.net/~aviannix37/PeekInside.html

There's photos of the board in the STB and it's
definitely 8420 F32

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Non Disclosure Agreement

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Oh duh... Should have realised

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On 5 Jun 2005 17:11:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@internode.on.net put
finger to keyboard and composed:

That should be STi5518BQC.

I recognised the STi prefix as being used by ST Microelectronics. I
then searched for STi5518 at the following URL:
http://www.st.com/products/index.htm

I typed 29LV800 into Google. The name "Fujitsu" popped up, together
with brief functional descriptions.

Had you posted a picture earlier, I would have immediately recognised
the /F/ logo. I would then have searched for datasheets at
http://www.fujitsu-fme.com/datasheets /

Your part is actually a Fujitsu MBM29LV800-TE90PFTN:
http://www.fujitsu-fme.com/datasheets/e520888.pdf

OK, my mistake this time. :-)

- Franc Zabkar

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Hi again Franc

I think also the Omega chip might also be  SGS Thomson see below
http://www.st.com/stonline/press/news/year1996/unknow.htm

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:01:50 +0930, Kissing Lettuce
composed:

SGS Thomson became ST Microelectronics in 1998.

See http://www.antiquetech.com/companies/SGS-Thomson.htm

- Franc Zabkar