DSE SD Set Top Box - Page 2

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

"Bazil"

** Staff ( et management) at DSE wisely elected to write their own handbook
for the DSE  STB.

 How hard can it be for someone to take home the Asian manual and a sample
of the product to play with for a few days  -   then write out all the
ambiguities and delete all the silly / unneeded stuff.

.........   Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Actually, speaking of cheap STBs, I picked up one of those Kross SD
boxes from Woolworths a week ago for $79 and it works a treat (even
has a readable manual).

- Rob.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I actually used to work for DSE Powerhouse. All I can say is their DSE
branded STB's are rubbish.

Your pretty lucky, considering most that bought them, returned them
with faults.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On 2 Jun 2005 17:44:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au - in a blinding

<Reviews cmwmjt's previous posting history ..... Wonders : now why am
I thinking about a credibility issue here .....>

--
steam3801
ASCII a silly question, get a silly ANSI

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Don't hold it against me because I hate Indonesia(s)

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On 2 Jun 2005 17:44:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I wonder how many people buy these STBs in the hope of "fixing" an
existing reception problem? How many of these faults were genuine
failures and how many were simply pixelation issues due to bad
reception?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Frank we got our DSE STB about 6 months ago - we live behind a large hill -
Ch2 reception was crap - SBS etc were poor. Reception is now good on all
channels - we get occasional pixelation due to poor signal but it sure beats
watching a snow storm on ch2. I must look at getting a digital antenna some
day.

I can imagine some people taking their sets back as "faulty" due to antenna
problems.
r.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Well simply the problems stemmed from the cheaply and poorly built
boxes.

The DSE brandname is mostly junk, aside from one or two decent items.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

The return rate vs actual legitimate faults are much lower than you think.
However, the general lack of technical lnowledge by PowerHouse staff
members is much higher than average, no doubt most of the STBs you saw
returned were sold for the wrong reasons and the customers given no after
sales backup, after all, the PowerHouse motto is "duh, we dunno, just
refund it..."

mike

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

You know there was a time when DSE staff knew a little bit
about electronics

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

A *very* little bit unfortunately.
But I agree, they know even less now.

MrT.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I remember a time when they knew alot, because many of them were
enthusiasts, electronics students doing degree/tafe courses after a bit of
extra money and even qualified techies in between jobs... Hmmm, all of a
sudden i feel old :)

mike

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Unfortunately may know less than they think. CB enthusiasts were a common
example. OK if you were after a CB I guess, but usually not much else.
(Not counting real amateurs here, as the ARRL course was worthwhile)

Knowledge will depend on how far they are into the course then obviously.

Yes, but that still happens now there are less real jobs.

MrT.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Enthusiasts of all kinds, CB, Electronics, computers.

Sure, obviously some were first year and some were nearing the end of their
courses, or had finished and were looking for jobs in their chosen fields.

Guess it does.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I find the debouncing of the on/off key on the box and the remote
really bad.  I try and press the button to turn the set off and most of
the time it turns off and then back on again.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Once upon a time snipped-for-privacy@impartsp.com.au decided to write:

Well the Teac ones cost the same (around $148). Anyone own one of these? If
so, are they good or would you know if they're better than the DSE ones. I
may buy another in the future and may try the Teac one.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I have the TEAC DVB420 (I think thats it...) cost $160 at Myer 6 months ago.

Novice user, no electronic skills or understanding... set it up with no
probs and the thing has not missed a beat. Oh, not quite true, every now
and then (maybe once a month) it will lock up and require off/on to
reset. Maybe firmware upgrade will fix that?

Brisbane northside (Strathpine)user.

I'm happy with it but have nothing to compare it with...

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Not even a summer's day?

dashdash*space*
http://tinyurl.com/a7upx

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On Sat 4 Jun 2005 at 01:44:51 +1000 Blob at <blob> wrote in

<Arfur's snipping>

You're thinking of "compare to", which means the opposite:
<http://tinyurl.com/9qqnx

--
Arfur Moo

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:44:48 +1000, Arfur Moo

"Error: TinyURL redirects to a TinyURL."

dashdash*space*
http://tinyurl.com/a7upx

Site Timeline