DSE SD Set Top Box

Not a bad little product

Some questions though.

1.
It isn't mentioned much in the manual but where and how
do you upgrade the software for this. The STB has an
RS-232 serial port on the back. Anyone played around with
this feature?

2.
I can get ABC, ABC2, and ABC Adelaide,  Nine Digital, Ten
Digital and the Ten Guide as well as the EPG.  The only
channel I can't get is 7.

Anyone know of a decent indoor antenna for this STB? Everything
except channel 7 is working on this.

Oh and do any of the channels do Teletext?

--
John

I drive the very latest hovercar
Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

"Kissing Lettuce"

 **   Yep - got one myself.

**  Ask the nice folk at DSE -   they have a phone number.

 **  But where are you  -  in a country town ???

 > Anyone know of a decent indoor antenna for this STB? Everything

**  No indoor antennal is good if you are in a fringe area or dead zone.

 Ch 7  does.

.......     Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I like it it's quite cool

I plan to do just that Phil

In the metro area. I don't think Salisbury is a fringe suburb
is it?

See above

Thanks Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

"Kissing Lettuce"

**  Above does not tell me if you are in a dead zone of dead spot.

Successful indoor antenna usage is a matter of pure serendipity -  depending
on the actual building design, surrounding buildings and particular location
of the antenna.

However, if you have a viewable analogue pic -  then the digital one ( if it
exists at all) should be fine.

..........    Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Next to Elizabeth.  May as well be in Port Agutta.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
[ http://www.VIDGuide.com ]

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Once upon a time Lord-Data decided to write:

Is the firmware actually necessary?

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I havnt installed it yet .. still yet to actually get a null modem cable :)
I've had no issues with mine .. works flawlessly, never crashed or failed ..
I dunno whats added in the firmware ..

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
[ http://www.VIDGuide.com ]

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

So a bog standard serial cable won't work? Bugger!!!!!

What I find interesting is that there are two meters for the signal
one that measures signal level and one that measures the quality
of the signal.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I have found if the quality
of the signal drops below 50% the box drops that channel
and the screen says "Bad or no signal"

Yet I find when that happens the signal level is still around 60%
despite the quality level being around 50 or 55%.   This is my
experience when trying to get channel 7 digital....

I wonder if that aspect of the unit could be hacked a bit
to make it less picky?

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Yes, get a better antenna.

Alternatively, try another brand of STB and hope for a more sensitive tuner.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

"Kissing Lettuce"

** The signal quality bar indicates how well the MPEG data contained in the
signal is being extracted -  there is a degree of redundancy included so it
need not be 100 % to get a perfect result.

Once the data is corrupted by a certain amount the picture cannot be fully
reconstructed so the DSE unit momentarily freezes on the the previous
complete frame or if the data corruption is on going, it just goes blank.

Basically  -go fix your antenna problem - you are on the wrong track .

............    Phil

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:44:18 +0930, Kissing Lettuce

Does 7 Adelaide broadcast a digital signal?

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Once upon a time Kissing Lettuce decided to write:

Got one just yesterday. Happy with it so far.

You forgot about SBS and possibly any other special digital TV stations in
your city/town (Macquarie for me). All stations should also have a guide
station, not just Ten.

I assume most do. Ten and Seven seems to have it when I checked.

A roof aerial is recommended, however if analogue reception was good you
should be able to easily get digital with an indoor aerial.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

SBS does indeed work as does ten. But why no guide for channel 9 and
why bother when you  have the EPG to program the times and all?

I am told channel 7 do teletext

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Once upon a time Kissing Lettuce decided to write:

Does ABC have a guide?

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

They will in the next few weeks.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

When I set up my mum's STB (different brand, with a roof aerial) it
wouldn't tune in channel 9.  I had to connect it directly to the aerial
feed (rather than have it daisy-chained after a VCR and a DVD recorder)
to tune it successfully - I think the VCR was just too much of a drain
on the signal strength.  This _could_ be your problem.

--
Hugh - to reply, don't c me

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

Some people have had success using amplified indoor antennas from DSE. If it
doesn't help they'll give you a refund too.

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:44:18 +0930, Kissing Lettuce
composed:

FWIW, here are the corresponding instructions for a Legend model LSD2
STB. At the very least you'll get a laugh out of them.

Put the cursor on the Factory Setting instruction to enter its submenu
and which shows us as:
Entry needs cypher

System info: to show the software version, date etc. related
information

Restore default: to reset the installation. Note: all the data former
your set will be cleared if you confirm the reset

Software update: to update your built-in software of the device
through PC to box or box to box the two manners; the following is the
operation steps of an instance:

PC to box: connect the serial data interfaces of the PC and the box
with serial cable and make sure that the two interfaces are accordant;
dblclick the '.exe program upgrade.exe as right side

Open the Setup menu and select the correct interface on your computer
(as the right illustration interface COM 1 is illustrated);

Press the OK instruction to pitch on the COM1

Force down the icon UPGRADE to spring out the dialog box with words
"upgrade progress"

Turn off the box and then turn it on to choose the PC to box
instruction to start the upgrade and the upgrading program will be
downloaded to the box.
Restart the box to complete the upgrading.

Box to box: do not connect the serial cable firstly. To pitch on the
instruction of Box to Box in the menu of Software Upgrade, define one
the box that owns higher version software as the master and the other
as the slave; to display the Master Box phrase on the master box,
press the OK key to wait until the monitor display "downloading..."
character. The same operation on the slave box to show the
"Receiving..: character; then to connect the serial cable well to
download the software and the screen will show the pace of download.
After download, the monitor of the slave box shows "Burning...". After
burning, the slave monitor turns into blank screen; the upgrade has
been accomplished

Note: The two descriptions above-mentioned just belong to the samples.
Serve for the reference only. Attention that the process of upgrade
does not allow the power cutting or the STB will be damaged

- Franc Zabkar

Re: DSE SD Set Top Box

I think that belongs in the Chinglish thread...

Site Timeline