DSE LED TV report:

got myself one of these a few days ago:

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/GE6831/dick-smith-28-5-quot-72cm-hd-led-lcd-tv

Currently on special, for a mere $199.

Has both analogue and SD/HD digital tuners plus facility to use a USB
storage device for record and playback.

While I have nothing really to complain about  -  the specs leave out
things, are ambiguous about others and have an error.

First, it does not weigh 21kgs  -  fully packed, the weight is about 8 kgs
and the set alone is 5.5 kgs.

The AC consumption is 65VA or about 36 watts.

The AC lead is attached and rather short - maybe one could cut it and fit an
IEC in-line female plug.

There is a hardware AC switch, easily accessible, under the screen  -  using
this is bound to extend the life of the SMPS.

Stereo audio output can be had from the mini-jack headphone socket ( at low
level ) OR  from 2 x RCAs at high level - the latter having no remote
volume. The sound quality available is first class.

The inbuilt speakers will go quite loud, but have limited bass and treble
response.

The blue ON led is too bright, but easily tamed with a bit of opaque
adhesive tape.

While 72cm may seem small, viewable pic size is considerably bigger than
with a 68cm CRT and STB.

One nice feature is you get the new program title displayed for a few
seconds when channel changing.

Lastly, you can extend the warranty to 2 years for an extra $28.

....   Phil

Re: DSE LED TV report:

Just had a look at one on the DSE site, quite tempting as I don't have
a 'proper' TV (just a large LCD monitor) in the living room... and I
have friends staying who can't get their head around my setup... any
misgivings on this purchase since you posted this?

Re: DSE LED TV report:

"Je▀us"
"Phil Allison"
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/GE6831/dick-smith-28-5-quot-72cm-hd-led-lcd-tv

(snip rest)

** Nope.

I have not tried the USB recording feature as yet.

....  Phil

Re: DSE LED TV report:

No worries, thanks. I might buy one while I'm down Hobart tomorrow if
I have the time.

Re: DSE LED TV report:

Or just rely on the Australian Consumer Law on the basis that a
television should last at least 2 years anyway.

Though enforcing that in the event might cost $37 (in NSW), unless
you're a pensioner, in which case $5.

Sylvia

Re: DSE LED TV report:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 14:12:25 +1100, Sylvia Else

Good to know :)

Re: DSE LED TV report:

Just to be clear, there's nothing in the Australian Consumer Law that
expressly says a television should last at least two years. How long
something should last depends on the circumstances. But I'd be surprised
if a tribunal or court would consider it reasonable for a television to
fail after less than two years.

Sylvia.

Re: DSE LED TV report:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 18:11:47 +1100, Sylvia Else

One would hope. I ended up buying the 96cm model ($39something).
Setup couldn't be quicker or simpler, not terribly impressed with the
quality of the plastic or the base... but hey it was cheap.

When I declined their offer of another 12 months warranty, they
offered it to me for $14, so I took it.

Site Timeline