DSE ESR meter

Still around of course:

I was of the understanding that RS Australia still pulls in (or used to a few years back at least) more income than Farnell Australia, although if that's true I'm not sure how, most engineers I know prefer Farnell as the catalog is much better, and they generally have a better range of semis.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

When I think back (as W. Neville Williams used to say), RS used to be in exactly the same position in the industry where Farnell is now. Then Farnell gradually became more and more popular while RS sort-of faded into the background. Probably the better catalog and component range had a lot to do with it, as you said.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I remember reading an article a few years back that listed the turnover for all the major electronics companies in Australia, and if I remember rightly RS had about 3 times the turnover of Farnell at the time. Anyone know who the current winner is?

I always reach for the Farnell catalog first, and only go to RS if Farnell don't have it, or I want to price match for a larger QTY.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

all very relevant if I turned it to Ohms and measured R directly.

not so much use if I turn it to extremely low volts, and continue measuring current and voltage. I can measure my current to much better than 1%.... with a uVolt meter I can wind the current down, avoid self-heating problems and still get a great measurement.

?!

There isnt much of a correlation between inductance and resistance, unless the core fill factor remains constant. and even then I can still get widely varying R for the same L - eg using TIW instead of magnet wire gives much higher R for the same L, as TIW has much, much thicker insulation. ditto for using Litz

Im not using wire, and one of the things I dont know is the actual resistivity of the material, although I do know the geometry.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

law.

4-wire (Kelvin) measurement.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

2c

law.

I expected you would, but there is still the connection (aka junction) resistance where you somehow make connection with the winding.

Reply to
rebel

Well in theory it doesn't matter as long as the total measured current flows through the resistance under test, and the impedance of the voltmeter is high enough, and the voltmeter connection is positioned where you want the reading. ie not including current leads.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

2000
1000A.

problem

Which is what I said already, but doesn't address the calibration issue.

close

inductance is

And you don't know what wire you are using or what the meanufacturers spec for resitsance is? Would be a lot easier to find that out and measure the length, than to try to measure the resistance IMO.

know

That's

I see, (well not exactly since it's a bit vague), good luck then.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Sort of. Even with a four-wire connection, you will need to ensure that the sensing connections are good.

Reply to
rebel

Yes, if they are "bad" you might not get a reading at all :-)

(for the purpose of this limited discussion I will ignore things like thermally induced EMF's etc.)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T