DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!! - Page 2

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

I'm practically a full-time Labwindows/CVI programmer at the moment.
Software on its own doesn't really do it for me I'm afraid.

You CAN get good money for electronics design, but as always, you have
to be in the right place at the right time.
Contract work sucks, too much pressure, been there, done that. More to
life than working the hours.

I do electronics because I enjoy it, sad I know, one day I'll come to
my senses :->

Dave :)

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

I hope not Dave! I still get to dabble in design and prototyping but play
with satellite stuff these days - way cool!

Ken

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Most probably.

Yes, selling franchises is HIGHLY profitable. He even has Jim's Antennas,
Jim's fencing, Jims dog wash etc. etc. etc ........

It's a LONG time since he mowed lawns :-)

MrT.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Well this little bit of advice landed in my mailbox the other day from a =
local computer shop.  It reads -

"Always double check with your salesperson when purchasing a system in =
parts. Make sure that all components are compatible with each other, eg. =
SATA, PATA, DDR1 and DDR2. Majority of new motherboards require the user =
to have SATA rather than PATA. A lot of products are returned due to =
them being incompatible with each other."

Sensible advice, but could they be sued for it?

Cheers,
Alan

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Yes it now the case of "do you want fries with that"

DSE have dropped MOST kits (from the new catalogue).  I was told at one
store make an offer on kits. Remember when they sold ecells? Sorry what
a 1 watt resistor is the reply in most stores.  The only good test
equipment there now is the Meterman which is fluke (danaher)

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

local computer shop.  It reads -

parts. Make sure that all components are compatible with each other, eg.
SATA, PATA, DDR1 and DDR2. Majority of new >motherboards require the user to
have SATA rather than PATA. A lot of products are returned due to them being
incompatible with each other."

Of  course. You can be sued for anything. Whether or not they would win is a
different matter.
Even the shops who win are usually wary of repeating the process
unnecessarily.
However in the above case, they are trying to limit the number of returns,
so the risk/benefit would appear to be on the side of providing the advice.

MrT.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Say for example

DSE sell  1 Xtal at $1 and make 50c proffit    (50%)

DSE Sell 1  Radio at $100 and $10 proffit      (10%)

IF you owned the DSE store would you want $10 or 50c in your pocket.....
(less GST of course).

So to make more dollars in your pocket  it's quite hard work selling small
qty of components,
BUT sell a few Radio's ....

Would you encourage your staff to sell Xtals or Radios?

If a customer wants 1000 Xtals  - he wont pay $1 each ' he/she will shop
around.

Have you ever gone in to a supermarket for milk and come out with lots more?

JG

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Actually, neither ; )

Instead I'd go for cables, audio adapters, and cordless phone batteries.

Eg:  1 x $30 phone extension lead = $20 profit
        1 x $300 TV (discounted)  = $20 profit

Peter

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Buy 1x TV, also buy:
    Antenna, Surge Protector, Power Board, RF Lead, Universal Remote .. the
TV leads to a lot of onsell opportunities, even upsell chances .. customer
comes in for discounted $300 TV, ends up buying $500 not-so-discounted TV
because sales person upsells em to it on features/benifits .. plus any extra
onsold extras such as cables, etc, with high margins :)

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

"Lord-Data" wrote

Buy 1x TV, also buy:
    Antenna, Surge Protector, Power Board, RF Lead, Universal Remote .. the
TV leads to a lot of onsell opportunities, even upsell chances .. customer
comes in for discounted $300 TV, ends up buying $500 not-so-discounted TV
because sales person upsells em to it on features/benifits .. plus any extra
onsold extras such as cables, etc, with high margins :)

******* At last,recognition of what really happens in a Capitalist system!!!
Note the use of the words,"sales person",now that's the way to go!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Could be because I work in retail ;)

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

I thought I would post one in praise of DSE. I went into our local branch,
enquiring after a fairly trivial capacitor, or something. , and the counter
guy looked at his screen, and said, "You 're in luck. We have just two
left." We went to one of those carousels made up of little drawers, and lo,
in one of those neatly-labeled drawers, there were two left.
A word of caution: it wasn't a real Dick Smith, it was a sort of
country-town music store with one end dedicated to DSE stuff.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

The plot thickens. It seems that DSE has thoroughly screwed these people.
After years of doing all the work, and giving DSE a respected presence in
the town, they now find that DSE has opened a shop DIRECTLY opposite them.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

They should open a branch of "Leading Edge" electronics.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

the
extra

Yep.  And don't forget the extended warranty ; )

I've wondered why some competitors have pursued a 'minimal range' model and
don't carry many compact but high-profit accessories.

Cordless phone batteries is one example; DSE must almost have that market to
itself; not due to price, but because of its big range).

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Probably more. The Warehouse(tm) can sell them for $5 and still make a
profit.

More like $100 gross profit. Their overheads are high though.

MrT.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Speaking of DSE has anyone seen the new TV ads asking
"where were those smart kids we used to know?"

It really felt like someone was reading this thread

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Yeah, when they said they were working for them I almost fell of my chair
laughing!  The "smart kids" left DSE long ago to be replaced by the typical
"check out kid" you come to expect at Woolies..

Although I must say it has created a whole new past time for those of us
that do know what we're talking about.  Some of the explanations they give
customers are just so ridiculous that you just can't help but step in and
make them look like the morons they are!  Christ - if you don't know then
just say so (or actually find out) instead of heading off on some wild
tangent leading the poor customer on some fantasy journey into electronics
"La La Land"....

Remember one "smart kid" one day having an argument with 2 amateur radio
operators telling them that you can't build your own Field Strength meter.
Funny how hams have been building those for years hey!

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Oh that's priceless......... I'm framing this

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

My funny one was in Hardly Normal buying an RJ-11 cable for a modem.

The dude said it probably wasn't the right one and when asked why, he
said it needed the bigger connectors like a network cable. To which I
replied no, this is the one. Annoyed that he was wrong, he said well it
still wont work because you need a cross over and that is not a
crossover. At which point some guy behind me burst out laughing. I just
paid my money and left the dickhead to suffer.

Baz

Site Timeline