DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

I know this topic's been covered before at great length and we all
know why it's happening but I thought I'd share this little gem.

Just yesterday I went to Dick Smith's and went to the counter with a
handful of components (the few I could find - have you noticed even
the component towers are only half full?).

The salesman wanded through a couple of items and then asked me what a
particular component was. I told him and he said "I'm glad at least
one of us knows."

The item in question was made of silver metal in a rounded oblong sort
of shape about 1.5cm wide and a bit taller. There was a flange on the
bottom end and two leads of equal length poking from the bottom of the
component, insulated from the metal case by some form of dielectric.
On the case was a number '4.00000' and a few letters.

It was, of course, a 4MHz crystal.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Fair go!  You DON'T actually expect the average DSE staff member to know
anything about what they are selling do you?  :P :-)

Cheers,
Alan

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Not unless they're trying to sell you a mobile phone, DVD player, computer,
television set etc

Charles L

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Point taken, although I rate them no better than the average salesperson at
an electrical discounter for product knowledge, which is disappointing when
you think of it.  Unfortunately most of these jobs aren't well paid and the
rapid turnover in staff generally means they don't get to know much about
what they sell before they move on to another position.

My experience with my local Altronics and Jaycar stores is that there seems
to be a core of permanent staff who at least have a reasonable knowledge of
the products they sell.  That isn't to say you don't draw a blank from time
to time.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

But I've already *got* all of those things. All I really needed was a
4MHz crystal (sometimes I 'ang about at night *dreaming* of owning a
4MHz crystal). But yes the thought did cross my mind that if I ever
needed a new mobile phone or plastic thing with lights that plays
MP3s, then I was in the right place.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Been that way for 15+ years and is expected.
The hard part is when they refuse to process it and make you go back
and get the part number and write it on one of those little self-serve
order sheets. Do they still do that?

Jaycar and Altronics are still pretty good in this area though.

I've noticed a few times now that the Farnell trade counter staff
refuse to offer any advice on components when someone comes in and says
"I need a 10A fuse" or whatever. They weren't like that a few years
back.

Dave :)

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Not IME. But is to be expected. Jaycar complained in SC for ages that they
can't get good staff because they aren't prepared to pay the wages necessary
for qualified people.
Personally I'd rather get the cheapest price and NO advice. (incorrect
advice is worth less than nothing anyway)

Someone probably tried to sue them. That usually stops people giving free
advice pretty quick smart.

MrT.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Yes, noticed that. The ones I visit seem to have some (but not all)
fairly cluey staff though, at least on the basics. Certainly streets
ahead of DSE.

So would I.
I don't need advice, but it's nice when you dump your components on the
counter and they know what is is and/or how to punch it into their
system quickly so you don't have to wait for the dreaded "catalog
number check". That's the difference bewteen DSE and Jaycar/Altronics I
guess, DSE are not in the "component game" any more so the sales staff
don't know what to do when you bring a bunch of components to the
counter.

I suspect as much. They have to refer people to a "component engineer"
if they want any sort of advice.

Dave :)

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Dick Smith where I am have not had 10K resistors in the trays for three
years now, you tell the counter-jumpers this and they say "The computer
says we have 1000 in stock...so there".

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

maybe the 10k ris were priced as 10a fuses when they were sold

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Mr.T furiously typed the following on 5/10/2005 3:11 PM:
[snip]

BINGO!

I was hired by DSE for my background in electronics - but after a few
"customer cases", we were informed that "...advice was not to be given
to any customers in regards to componants, kits or repair of items..."
because, even if we gave good advice, the person went home and did what
they wanted anyway most of the time.

So, after a while, if the staff werent allowed to give out the advice,
why hire people trained in the advice - when they could earn more money
somewhere else...   ...in all truth, it took the fun out of helping
people in the job and was one of the reasons that I left to drive the
lightrail in sydney!  :-P

--Richard W

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

I fondly recall DSE staff in Melbourne who you could actually discuss the
pro's and cons of circuits with. They're just checkout chicks now. Your new
job sounds better by far. :-)

Ken

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Ken Taylor furiously typed the following on 6/10/2005 9:31 AM:

It gets that way Ken, and "just being a counter jockey" was crap - even
some of the Area Managers left too, Bill White from the Nth Shore
(Hornsby) and Newcastle Area, where I was...

...and these days, I run my own business - Im a professional Magicician!
  ;-)

--Richard W

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Did you wave a magic wand and introduce more letters? :-)

The staff at the Lonsdale St. store in Melbourne when it first opened were a
great bunch of guy; hams, hobbyists and hackers. Ah, the good old days......

Cheers.

Ken

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

I've always wondered if the guy who comes in to water and trim the
indoor office plants has a better and higher paying job than being an
electronics design engineer?

Jim's mowing franchise anyone?

Dave :)

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

I once read an article published by a casual electronics TAFE lecturer.
Taking into account he doesn't get paid for preparation time, research,
updating lecture notes, photo-copying etc he worked out that he'd be making
just a much money as a trolley boy rounding up shopping trollies at the
local shopping centre and with a lot less grief.  And people wonder why I
can't be bothered doing the TAFE lecture circuit anymore. :P

Cheers,
Alan

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Casual rates at Uni: $28/hr for practicals, $57/hr for tutorials, $78/hr
for
lecturing, $156/hr if you write the notes yourself.

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

making

Doesn't appear to have changed much, if at all, since when I did it about 6
years ago. Okay for putting bread on the table until they cut me down to 3
hours a week then it was off to work....

Ken

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

<snip>

I swore I would never do software whilst I was doing hardware. Now I
do software I swear I will never do hardware. Do yourslef a favour
Dave, learn C# or Java.

3 month contracts @ $60-70/hour for an entry level professional
programmer anyone?

Re: DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

Cool! where can I get one of those?.

Site Timeline