DSE CRO on Sale

The big CRO at Telecom Chermside had "Claude" pencilled in on the front panel.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Thanks for that, been meaning to pick one up, just ordered one.

Reply to
Simon

My wife is a scientist and that's what she calls it! :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Actually Bob that is how I have to describe things sometimes these days - following a bypass op (apparently the bypass machine sometimes leaves bits of crap in your blood vessels) I sometimes forget the names of things - bloody pain when you have to ask a shopkeeper for (eg) a box of those little sticks that you can light, or ask the butcher for some of those long thin things with meat in the middle!!!

Getting old is a real bastard sometimes

David

Bob Parker wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

I got news for you David - it's happening to all of us blokes from the generation who say 'CRO' and know what a 5Y3GT is. ;-) It's getting pretty crook when you ask the butcher for long thin things with meat in the middle, when you meant "Long thin things with meat-flavoured sawdust and floor sweepings in the middle"!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Friend got one today and it went back to the store same day.

Beam is rotated and no way to make it stright. Small crapy screen and you can see that it is generally cheaply made. You get what you pay for. $98 will not get you a good scope even low-bandwith one.

Rudolf

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Reply to
Rudolf

"Rudolf the Ratbag "

** Yes there is - two screws on the back loosen and then the tube can be rotated.
** Bollocks !!!

The display is sharp and easy on the eyes - waaaay better than any low cost LCD scope - including the Tek portables.

** It is actually very well made inside - no SMD, nice quality rotary switches and easy to get semis.

The CRT is even magnetically shielded.

I posted pics here a while back.

** You are a complete ass !!

It is a **ideal** first CRO for hobbyists plus a very serviceable spare or easy portable one for techs.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not long ago I bought a Q1803 which dear old Australia Post violently threw around in transit and shattered its CRT (story at

I had to disassemble it in a fairly big way to replace the tube, so I got a good look at its construction. I thought it's quite well built and a bargain for the price. The CRT can be rotated by loosening and nudging the screws for that purpose on the rear panel as Phil said. The triggering and general operation's pretty good. It's a flat-face CRT with external graticule, but I wouldn't call it "crapy". It would be nice if it had graticule illumination, but you can't expect that kind of luxury for under $100. :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Needing a bypass op is probably a sign that there have been things amiss in the circulatory system for a while, meaning that little bits of the brain get slowly damaged. Any "bits of crap" substantial enough to get flushed up the aorta and make it to the brain would probably cause more damage. Fortunately if you take your time and exercise the ability you can retrieve it to some extent. Might be worth doing crosswords with the morning paper, or something like that.

Reply to
Matthew Kirkcaldie

I saved a copy of those:

Chris
Reply to
Chris Baird

"Chris Baird" <

** The inside view one is mine.

Click on it for a high res version.

Poorly made ??

Not in my book.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

WOw, i didn't know that people still made tube cro's!!! Thats like a blast from the past!

Reply to
The Real Andy

It's a retro thing, just like LED watches and Atari T-Shirts are back in fashion.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

They had them for the equivalent price in NZ a few months back...

The clearance pages are worth a read sometimes... free logic probes, or $1 power drills if you're willing to travel to the aproprate location.

yup... not dual trace or anything neat like that though.

$98 for a 10Mhz probe ?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

HI Mathew

While you are right of course, unfortunately there is also a condition caused by the bypass machine itself (but buggered if I can remember what it is called at the moment). My docs brother had to give up practice as a psychiatrist due to this condition - I had to give up working as a therapist.

David

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

"snip>

Been there, done that. (mitral valve repair). It kept me alive and active, for which I daily give thanks. The cost is that I have a mental fog at times and forget things, and names, and where I put things, and where I should have put things.............. But I do remember that I have known that little device as a CRO for fifty years or so. In the lab, a scope was a microscope, and anywhere else, a scope was a telescope. I still have a working DSE single-trace, 5MHz CRO that I bought something like thirty? years ago. It was value for money then, although I can't remember what it cost. In those days an individual couldn't really afford, or justify, the cost of a laboratory CRO. I got a lot of use from it playing with audio and then in developing applications for single-board computers.

Reply to
L.A.T.

When I get something brand new it is supposed to work right out of the box! I do not want to go inside right after unpacking.

I think, I will stick with my Tektronix 475 for a while longer.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf