DSE CRO on Sale

The DSE Q1803 10MHz scope is currently on sale for $98:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/456d0d86023652902742c0a87f9c06ec/Product/View/Q1803

Insane value for money for a new scope.

Perhaps they are selling the probe and throwing in the scope for free?

Dave :)

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

"David L. Jones" <
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/456d0d86023652902742c0a87f9c06ec/Product/View/Q1803

**  Remember when someone advertised a component tester with a free, 20 Meg
CRO chucked in ??

 BTW

 The term  "scope"  is American jargon.

 Do you call prawns  " shrimp "  by any chance ?

.......   Phil

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

Ah, the Phil police are back.

-mark

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/456d0d86023652902742c0a87f9c06ec/Product/View/Q1803

Perhaps, but it's funny how the majority of the colleagues I've ever
met also prefer the term scope, kinda rolls off the tounge better than
CRO in my instances I think. The two terms have always been used
interchangeably in every place I have ever worked. I have noticed a
slight bias, with the term CRO being used more often for the physical
device, as in "where's the 'effen CRO?". And scope being used more
often for display related stuff, as in "check the waveform on the
scope". Of course, it always seems to be a "CRO probe", not a "scope
probe".

Always call a meter a DMM do you?

Dave :)

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

    I agree with Phil, probably because we're the same age and only got
exposed to all the Americanisms after we'd been doing electronics for
quite a lot of years.

Bob

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

Guess it depends on who you interacted with when you were taught. I
know lots of (Australian raised and educated) guys of yours and Phil's
vintage who never use the term CRO.

Dave :)

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

"David L. Jones"

** All wild heresay of the dumbest sort.

These same mysterious non experts likely never used a soldering iron in
their lives.

Compewter geeks for sure.

......   Phil

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

    They use the abbreviation of "'scope"? I'm just interested to know.

Bob

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

Either "scope" or "oscilloscope". Very occasionally "o'scope", but of
course that one should be banned! ;-)

Dave :)

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

    At least it wasn't "That little box like a small TV with the wiggly
lines on the screen"....

Bob

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

The big CRO at Telecom Chermside had "Claude" pencilled in on the front
panel.

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

My wife is a scientist and that's what she calls it! :->

Dave :)

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

Actually Bob that is how I have to describe things sometimes these days -
following a bypass op (apparently the bypass machine sometimes leaves bits
of crap in your blood vessels)  I sometimes forget the names of things -
bloody pain when you have to ask a shopkeeper for (eg) a box of those
little sticks that you can light, or ask the butcher for some of those
long thin things with meat in the middle!!!

Getting old is a real bastard sometimes

David

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

    I got news for you David - it's happening to all of us blokes from
the generation who say 'CRO' and know what a 5Y3GT is. ;-)
    It's getting pretty crook when you ask the butcher for long thin
things with meat in the middle, when you meant "Long thin things with
meat-flavoured sawdust and floor sweepings in the middle"!

Bob

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

Friend got one today and it went back to the store same day.

Beam is rotated and no way to make it stright. Small crapy screen and you
can see that it is generally cheaply made.
You get what you pay for. $98 will not get you a good scope even
low-bandwith one.

Rudolf

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

"Rudolf the Ratbag "

**  Yes there is  -  two screws on the back loosen and then the tube can be
rotated.

**  Bollocks  !!!

The display is sharp and easy on the eyes  -  waaaay better than any low
cost LCD scope -  including the Tek portables.

** It is actually very well made inside -  no SMD,  nice quality rotary
switches and easy to get semis.

 The CRT is even magnetically shielded.

 I posted pics here a while back.

**  You are a complete ass !!

 It is a  **ideal** first CRO for hobbyists  plus a very serviceable spare
or easy portable one for techs.

.......   Phil

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

    Not long ago I bought a Q1803 which dear old Australia Post
violently threw around in transit and shattered its CRT (story at
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/Q1803/austpost.htm ).
    I had to disassemble it in a fairly big way to replace the tube, so
I got a good look at its construction. I thought it's quite well built
and a bargain for the price. The CRT can be rotated by loosening and
nudging the screws for that purpose on the rear panel as Phil said.
    The triggering and general operation's pretty good. It's a flat-face
CRT with external graticule, but I wouldn't call it "crapy". It would be
nice if it had graticule illumination, but you can't expect that kind of
luxury for under $100. :)

Bob

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

When I get something brand new it is supposed to work right out of the box!
I do not want to go inside right after unpacking.

I think, I will stick with my Tektronix 475 for a while longer.

Rudolf

Re: DSE CRO on Sale

 >  I posted pics here a while back.

I saved a copy of those: