DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

I bought some H-5112 "Versa" board at DSE / Powerhouse in Macquarie
Centre at North Ryde, NSW on Thursday 1 June, and was charged $7.99,
the price on the hanger.  However, reading both their ad in (AU)
Silicon Chip and their website, it should have been sold for only
$2.99, from 24 May.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

Take it back with the receipt, and a scan or screen capture of the ad.
I'm sure it will be an oversight.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

@news.optusnet.com.au:

 Differences between the advertised, shelf and charged prices
became such a problem at the Gore Hill DSE some years back that
"oversight" was a very unlikely explanation in my view.

 Still, if you can be bothered for $4.00, take it back. You're
entitled to it. (They're counting on you not being bothered).

GB, remember folks, DSE is Woolworths Limited - they're crooks,
    through and through.
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

Agreed, no oversight IMO. They once flatly refused to sell me an item on
special at the advertised price, unless I could prove it. When I went back
with the Silicon Chip ad, no apology was given, and I asked to speak to the
manager. He gave me a BS story about Powerhouses being different, even
though the ad made NO distinction and even listed the store in question.
I did get the item at the advertised price eventually, but the extra
inconvenience killed any faith in their honesty and customer service.

MrT.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

\

They are f***'n idiots.

I once needed a bunch of cmos 4000 chips and selected caps/resistors etc. to
put together some extra parts of a circuit board. So I go down there and get
the guy to help me find all this crap. Then him and the other sales guy
bitch at me saying I can't come down with a list of parts again (because all
the IC's etc are behind counter and it took them to long to get them all and
do the prices on 30 different 2$ chips) and that I should be using mail
order for that stuff. Well tricky dicky don't fucken sell the shit at your
store or put the damn chips out where people can get them. Its not like they
are 1,000$ processors.

I only go there as a last resort because they tend to have more stores
closer by than jaycar or anyone else. But it shouldnt be to long before they
stop selling electronic parts altogether. Some of their prices are already
getting near double that of Farnell Express etc. so much so that at work Im
not even allowed to spend more than 100$ at their shop at once anymore.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

back
get
all
and
they

At my local DSE the components are out on the floor in 2 stands of rotating
plastic draws. The other day I was there to get a recharge voucher for my
prepaid phone, and poking around I discovered they actually had some useful
components in the rack, so I grabbed a bunch.

At the checkout I had a few other things, so the checkout chick rings up the
major items but doesn't bother with the components, despite the fact that I
told her I had the catalogue numbers - I wasn't sure if that was policy, or
she was just incredibly lazy, but it saved me a bunch, so I didn't bother
asking :)

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

At least you found some useful stuff. I went to several DSE stores to
get some PIC processors and some 4MHz crystals but no one had any idea
what a crystal was - when I showed them that they sell 20MHz crystals
they were truly amazed that they have crystals.

But then again DSE sells a PIC16F84A for $10 and I just ordered a bunch
of them from Futurlec for $4.66 each (they're in Newcastle so I had to
order it). Is there a similarly priced place in Sydney? Is Jaycar
better/cheaper than DSE?

Cheers,
Monica

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

"Geek Chick"

** DSE cat: Z 9176  = the 20 MHz, PIC16F84A-20, retailing for  $9.97 each.

 The Futurlec's price you quoted is for the 4 MHz version.

......   Phil

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

  Aren't Futurelec also in US dollars as well?. Stuff I
bought from them has been good quality though for the price
and came from Thailand as I recall.

DSE in my area don't have those $128 CRO's and don't seem to know
what one is or want to stock them, they have the place on the
shelf for them filled with tools and crap. Have to stick with
the 20 MHz BWD dual trace instead.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

Hah - sounds like yesterday in Box Hill whan I went up to the
counter and asked for the Q1803 oscilloscope. The sales guy took
me over to the *telescopes*. When I repeated "oscilloscope",
he'd never even heard the word before. After he found it on the
computer (I had to spell out the catalog code three more times),
he was able to go out back and find one. Still showed not a
spark of interest in what it was or why someone would want one.
Truly dimwitted and likely to remain so.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

"Clifford Heath"

**  ROTFL .....

**  Funny how DSE stores keep them hidden away.

** Did you buy it?

......  Phil

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

I did. It'll get its first task today, as I build a sync
mixer for a 21" Sony/HP trinitron (workstation) monitor.

Nice and tidy inside too - good photo of yours. Pity it didn't
come with a schematic, but the board's partly transparent so
it wouldn't be hard to trace. Might be a good idea, to help
with future repair.

Clifford.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

"Clifford Heath"

 ** Ah, so my JPEG is visible to you on ABSE.

Shame my newserver has blocked it.

BTW

Don't forget to change that oversized AC fuse on the back.

......  Phil

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 12:27:41 +1000, "Phil Allison"

   I think my news server's blocked it too. With luck I'll have my own
Q1803 before too much longer, and I'll have a look first hand.

Bob

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

"Bob Parker"

** Make sure the sales dude/gal does not try to palm you off with a
*telescope* !!

.......   Phil

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 00:10:24 +1000, "Phil Allison"

   Reminds me of when I went up to the original Gore Hill DSE once
before there were outlets everywhere. I've forgotten what components I
was after, it was so long ago.
    The bloke behind the counter asked what I was going to do with
them, and I told him. He said it wouldn't work. I told him it would
and what my qualifications were. He kept insisting that it wouldn't
and nearly refused to sell them to me,  but finally relented with a
parting comment to the effect of "When it doesn't work, don't say I
didn't  warn you!!".
    That was back when Dick Smith himself seemed to be choosing his
staff for their technical "expertise".

Bob

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

Well, did it work?

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

   Yes, exactly as planned. :-)

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

"Clifford Heath"

** See this link if ABSE is no good for you:

http://www.filespoint.com/point/2689731/DSC00578.JPG.html

** Just contact DSE support:  1300 660 054

Like I did today & got a 4 page  PDF  by email in less than 1 minute.

Very cool.

.......   Phil

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:01:17 +1000, "Phil Allison"

   I don't suppose you'd consider putting that up on the Filespoint
site too....?? If I'm gunna get one of these CROs, it'd be nice to
have whatever support info's available.

Bob

Site Timeline