DSE Bargain CRO

** Anyone here had a good look and play with the DSE, 10 MHz CRO yet ??

For a mere $158 inc gst plus nice 10:1 probe chucked in it MUST be hard to beat for value even against used CROs.

The specs look pretty good and it has a decent 1.2 kV acceleration voltage.

Very neat and compact too.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Incredibly cheap. Almost half the price of equivalent units like the Instek/Goodwill 10MHz model. Would be interesting to get a look inside. Hard to beat against a used model indeed, if the specs are what you are after.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

**'Tis cheap. I doubt that it uses a PDA tube though. Still and all, 10MHz for 160 Bucks is hard to beat. I wonder what the wholesale price is? I'll make a call tomorrow.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Don't know about that, I only paid $220 for a Tektronix 475A off Ebay, 250 megs bandwidth, and probably one of the best scopes made by anybody anywhere. Its old but works fine.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

??

hard

voltage.

There's the understatement of the year. 6mm/div Kinda small on the screen, don't you think?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

"Anthony Fremont"

** No.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
** This is not ever going to stop:

The Rutmaniac Arse Bandit has **NEVER** told us how much money the Thai pal he "imported" into Perth ripped off from his credit card and bank accounts.

He has refused, over and over, to say why he never reported the crime his Thai boy lover committed to his Bank or to the WA police.

** This post of his on " rec.travel asia " from 1997 explains the event:

------------------------------­------------------------------­---

" WARNING - Tourism dangers for Gay Tourists in Thailand

In my case I was coerced into sponsoring a Thai into Australia. I was lead down the garden path into a false sense of security about my relationship with this person. His aim was clearly to get me to purswade the Australian Embassy to grant him a visa. Once here I didn't exist after he drained my bank account and ran my credit card into overdraft.

Alan Rutlidge (Perth Western Australia) "

----------------------------- ------------------------------------

** The 1997 date pretty much co-incidences with the enactment of Section 50 BA of the Commonwealth Crimes Act.

This is the law that finally made engaging in or promoting under age sex tourism a criminal offence - max penalty 17 years in jail.

BTW

The age of consent for gay males in WA in 1997 was 21 years old.

Come on - Arse Bandit - we all need to know if you were being blackmailed.

** I do not care how many of your vile, criminal colleagues you organise to intimidate me.

It only makes you look so much WORSE !!!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

WOW, This is the third time you've posted this to the same newsgroup today.

Gawd, you must be bored shitless by now.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

the

The "don't you think" part was rhetorical, I was talking about the

2"X2.5" display. My wife's digital camera has a display nearly that big.
Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Yep, I bought one - very nice unit, easy to use, appears well made, and is a bargain for the price.

I have also just bought one of their 20meg CROs and that too is fine (I found I needed 2 channels afterall) nice units for the money

David

PS My 10 meg unit is for sale - only 3 or 4 hours use, still under guarantee - all offers considered

Phil Allis> ** Anyone here had a good look and play with the DSE, 10 MHz CRO yet ??

quietguy

Just plugged a 19" LCD monitor into my Agilent 6000 series scope at work, now THAT'S a scope display! Next stop, the LCD projector on the wall :->

Damn impressive scope the 6000.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I went through the process of considering a better s/h unit instead of a lessor new unit, but in the end felt that while one of those better cros would be great if it worked and continued working, the cost of any repairs would probably break my bank, as I am not cluey enough to fix one of those, and would/might need a cro to do the repair.

David

"David L. J>

Reply to
quietguy

lessor new unit, but in the

continued working, the

fix one of those, and

A new CRO is nice, has that nice "new CRO" smell, and you get that warm-fuzzy as you peel the plastic protective cover off the front panel. Just like a new car, everyone should own one at least once!

Now you can get yourself an old second hand high bandwidth one as well

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

**Now that's a twist: Usually, guys brag about their red sports cars, or the size of their guns. You're using your CRO as a penis substitute?

Mind you: I am jealous. Those Agilent 'scopes are kinda nice.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Anthony Fremont" "Phil Allison"

** My "no" was not rhetorical.

The screen size is perfectly OK for a single beam CRO.

The detail and resolution of such a CRT screen is far better than that of LCD scopes that cost $2000 and with screens many times the size.

** See above.

A battery operated NLS MS-15 (15 MHz) mini scope has a 4 x 5 CRT screen where each division is 0.25 inches.

That is only one quarter the size of the DSE CRO but still quite usable as it is very sharp.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"quietguy"

** Two questions:

  1. Is there an external means of rotating the trace - ie make it horizontal in spite of the earths mag field.

  2. Is there any spec for the maximum *safe* ( ie non damaging) input voltage on the vertical amp?

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I suppose its like they say, just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Keep on taking the pills, it looks like you may have skipped a few doses.

Reply to
Keith

lessor new unit, but in the

continued working, the

to fix one of those, and

I did, about 30 years ago. A brand new Leader 10 MHz dual trace with the probes, manual, and a spare fuse. It was stolen two years later.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, mechanical adj on the rear of the case - a no sweat adj.

400Vp according to a label on the CRO itself

David

Reply to
quietguy

** Thanks very much for that David.

Looks like the DSE , 10MHz CRO can be safely recommended to most hobbyists and techs with not too demanding requirements.

If I did not have 4 perfectly functioning CROs ( inc a valve one I built in 1970) already I might get one myself !!

Reply to
Phil Allison