DSE Antenna Losing Signal?

I've got the L4069 DSE Antenna, which has been working perfectly fine for about 6 months now .. Just yesterday, it appears the amp isnt working up to

100% capacity .. signal on my set top box has dropped to around ~68-70%, and causing random glitching.. Tried re-angling it, but nothing helped. Left it turned off for about 2-3 mins, then switched it back on, and it came up good, mid-90%'s again.. Then after about 10 mins of use, it dropped again .. I can tell its the amp in the antenna because i've tested the set top box on another antenna (roof setup) and it works fine. Also, the amp has a "control" knob which selects how much amplification is applied, Anything below 45-50% amplification means no signal on the set top box, but when its in this state of playing up, Turning it from 0 -> 50% is as per normal, recpetion comes in around 50%, going to about 60% amplification brings it up to signal of ~68-70%, and any further turning up of the amp achieves nothing .. no changes at all .. Any ideas why this might have happened or any simple fixes? If I can find the reciept, i'll return the antenna and get a new one, but I wonder if perhaps theyr going to keep doing it every few months? Anyone have any experience with this amplified antenna?

Thanks in advance!

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
[ http://www.VIDGuide.com ]
Reply to
Lord-Data

Sounds like a dry joint. Are you handy with a soldering iron? I'd resolder anything that you can get to (after you open it up of course).

Reply to
Justin

Does it have a power pack that can be unplugged from the antenna? If so, it would be interesting to see if the voltage remains constant over a period of time with a multimeter.

I don't know what your electronics experience is, so I'll give you full instructions on testing the power pack's voltage. If it's a normal plug pack tip, the 'hole' will be positive (so stick the red probe in there) & the outer sheath will be negative, so attach the black probe to that somehow (alligator clip extension on the end of the probe would be good - otherwise a rubber band or something). I'm guessing the power supply will be 9 or 12 volts DC, if so set the meter to DC 20V range. Turn the plug pack on & watch it for a while.

If the voltage drops away (or possibly rises too much - although that's unlikely), then your fix is easy -just replace the power pack with a like unit. Otherwise, dry joints or failing component within the unit will be the culprit.

BTW, that model is on special at DSE for the next few days (just in case).

Justin

Reply to
Justin

"Lord-Data"

** Schapelle Corby has jinxed it.

She knows what you said about her.

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've had the little disc ceramics inside masthead amps go leaky: was always the Dick Smith supplied ceramics in their kit mastheads

Reply to
Mark Harriss