DRL

I need to add daytime running lights (DRL-s) to my car, and since I have
separate high and low beam lights, I thought I could use high beams for
DRL-s.

First idea was to connect high beams in series, but since both are
grounded I think that I can not do that.

Than I searched for information if my car ('87 BMW E30 316) had factory
DRL-s. I found that it did for some markets, and it was done by
resistors. Unfortunately I can not find these (or any other resistors)
where I am, so I need another solution.

My leatest idea is to use current regulator like this one:

http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/boosti.htm

Any thoughts, or better ideas?

Here is the solution for a later BMW model (E36):

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/drl-5.jpg

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

You could use 25W or 50W aluminium clad resistors. These have an
integral heatsink and mounting tabs. Farnell and RS Components stock
them.

Here are two examples:
http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/zoomed/Large/62807101.jpg

The pass transistor will get very hot (as will resistors). A linear
voltage regulator is not a good idea, IMO.

I suspect that this device is not a linear regulator. IMO it would be
more reliable to switch the output at 100Hz, say, with a 50% duty
cycle or less, perhaps automatically adjusted for ambient conditions
via a CdS photocell.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: DRL

Isn't there an issue with running some halogen bulbs (assuming thats what
the OP has installed) at less than full power? Over time they build up a
metallic coating on the inside of the glass envelope.

Re: DRL
Nedavno K Ludger napisa:

I did not hear about that. I have H1 bulbs. I'll have to search a bit to
confirm that.

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL

You got me interested so I googled and found:

http://members.misty.com/don/bulb1.html#hle

"Another problem with dimming of halogen lamps is the fact that the halogen
cycle works best with the bulb and filament at or near specific optimum
temperatures. If the bulb is dimmed, the halogen may fail to "clean" the
inner surface of the bulb. Or, tungsten halide that results may fail to
return tungsten to the filament."

Years ago I pwm'ed some halogen lamps and saw evidence of the metal
deposition mentioned above.

Re: DRL
Nedavno K Ludger napisa:

Interesting reading, thank you. Perhaps I'll run bulbs at full power.

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL

We just returned from Canada/USA where we had four different rental vehicles
with DRL's.  I'm quite sure all were at full brightness.

Re: DRL
Nedavno rebel napisa:

Yes, but low or high beams?

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL

Low.

Re: DRL
Nedavno rebel napisa:

I want high.

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL

But nobody else on the road wants to se you on High

High is just as objectionable (and illegal) in the day time as in the night.

John G.

Re: DRL
Nedavno John G. napisa:

But BMW used it originally ( but not at full power) for my car - E30
(and at least for one or two models after - E36 and Z3). Check here:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_daytime_running_lights.html

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL
Nedavno Franc Zabkar napisa:

How hot do they get? I found at eBay.uk 1ohm 50W clad resistor. Would
that one be OK?

Any links for this solution (the simplest variant - without automatic
adjustment)?

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL
finger to keyboard and composed:

You would need to work out how much current passes through it and then
compute the power dissipation using Ohm's Law.

 P = I x I x R  =  V x V / R

If you want to reduce the operating voltage by half, then you would
use a resistance equal to the resistance of your lamps at this
voltage. 1 ohm seems a little too low.

If you want to reduce the operating *power* by half, then you would
reduce the voltage to 70% of nominal, ie 10V. In this case a 1ohm
resistor might be close.

I'd look at some DRL patents.

Try searching for "daytime running lights" here:
http://www.google.com/advanced_patent_search

US patent # 3,262,011 uses a resistor to reduce the voltage to the
headlamps (you can get a patent for that?).

Patent # 4,684,819 uses pulse width modulation.

Patent # 4,686,423 uses a linear voltage regulator.

As others have said, I'd be wary of operating halogen lamps at less
than their rated voltage.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: DRL

Why would anyone "NEED" to run drl's complete waste of time and energy.
Energy being fuel and wear and tear to no purpose

Re: DRL
Nedavno F Murtz napisa:

Traffic law is about to change here. So "I must" or whatever other word
is more appropriate (English is not my native language).

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL

They're changing the law and requiring retrofit of DRLs in existing
vehicles?   Usually laws like that apply only to new vehicles (first
registered after some date)  Possibly you could cross a border and
register you car there instead?

Re: DRL
Nedavno Jasen Betts napisa:

No, new low requires you to have low beams or DRLs.

And I can not drive car registered in other countries (unless I work or
live there), it is illegal here.

--
      ___   ____
     /__/  /    \      ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Re: DRL
finger to keyboard and composed:

When I was in Europe 10 years ago, the law had just changed to mandate
the use of headlamps during daytime, presumably as a safety measure.
AFAICS, this is a pointless law, not from the energy perspective, but
because people would learn to ignore them, thereby rendering them
useless. It would be better to restrict the use of one's lights to
indicate genuine safety issues, such as driving during rain or fog.
DRLs make about as much sense as a continuously operating horn.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: DRL
Hear Hear !!
Same goes with reversing beepers at the moment trucks have them and they
mostly penetrate the subconscious but as soon as every one has them you
wont notice them.
And fluorescent clothing same problem.
All these devices only work to a limited degree until they become common.
There has been studies with headlights during daytime which showed that
benefits were short lived.

Site Timeline