Drill tripping earth leakage protector

"Poxy"

** The Rutmaniac is a damn liar - he has never spoken with me and does not know me at all.
** Poxy - you are simply a pompous jerk.

Usenet vermin.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I don't think anyone here wants to beat up Phil (although that's only my opinion). Certainly not me. I just want to slam dunk the prick using the legal system. Of course I know he's a gutless wanker so he wouldn't dare repeat his allegations in front of witnesses or risk having his bullshit recorded to be played back in court. As I've said before, Phil is a coward and a menace. All the regulars here know it.

The fact that Phil has singled you out for special attention this week is unfortunate. You are just one on a very long list of people who Phil has taken a dislike to. Don't for one minute consider yourself an orphan.

Don't apologise. Phil should be the one for doing that for his inexcusable behaviour, although hell will probably freeze over first. My advise is give him absolutely nothing (personally about you) to go on and he will soon become bored and move on to some other unfortunate soul.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge iinet.net.au>"

coward

inexcusable

give

Yep , pretty well sums it up

Reply to
FruitLoop

Phil does spout a very small amount of wisdom and fact. The fact that it's buried in noise is disappointing because he could probably be an interesting part of this community rather than a disruptive one.

If you don't like listening to him, set your browser to discard his posts. It's very easy. I've done it - and if you silly bastards would stop replying to his posts I wouldn't hear of him at all. I'm beginning to think you're all tarred with the same brush.

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

"Andrew M"

** The M stand for "moron " and there really is no-one at home.

Andrew has posted a total of 9 times here - and only began this year.

He is clueless, posturing, vile little shit.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Kill filing Phil only gets rid of Phil's messages. It doesn't stop you seeing all his stupid rants included as part of other's responses.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

So????? What does one do - chuck away the fridge? Does mfg warranty cover this situation?

David

David wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

Well I must say you do seem to making some effort to improve your language - while still unnecessarily abusive, I applaud your restraint in not resorting to foul language - there's hope yet it seems!

Reply to
Poxy

This must be a fairly recent change - when did this come in ? must have been in the last 6 years

Reply to
Richard Freeman

"Richard Freeman"

** Guess what year AS3000:2000 refers to - Richard.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Best thing to do is to have a seperate RCD/MCB on each circuit. These are very common know, and if something trips, only one circuit will trip, not the whole house (makes finding what tripped it much quicker too). Also, as each circuit is seperate, then each circuit can have up to 30mA leakage before tripping. If only one RCD is used for the whole house, then total leakage for whole house is only 30mA. Problem with older RCDs was that they would trip randomly etc, and take out the whole house, and if you were not at home, the frige would stop, and you would have rotten food and a terrible smell. If on indivual RCD/MCBs, then only one circuit would trip. If the the fridge tripped on 30mA, then something is pretty wrong with the fridge, and it should be fixed.

David

Reply to
David

"David" Phil Allison wrote: Some d*****ad:

** If there is residual 50 Hz current leakage, then it will all be from the *active* wiring to ground - since there is a 240 volt difference.

A burst of RF voltage superimposed on the active will likely increase current leakage significantly - moisture etc being a good RF conductor plus aided by the pre-bias of the supply voltage. However a similar burst of RF voltage will cause a lesser leakage to earth via the neutral - simply because there is no pre- biasing voltage difference.

The resulting difference in leakage current may be all it takes to trip the RCD so radiated RF into "space" may well be not very significant in this case.

However, even portable ( ie plug in) RCDs suffer false tripping due to switch arcing - this may be a design issue re EMI susceptibility.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No, a neutral to ground fault can cause leakage current as well. Try shorting the neutral to ground on a socket outlet. The RCD will most likely trip.

Despite the neutral being tied to earth at the MEN point (assuming an MEN system), due to voltage drops in the neutral wiring, the neutral will be above ground potential in most places in the wiring system. You can easily get 2 to 5 VAC neutral - earth. A lowish resistance fault can then cause the required residual leakage current. The neutral is considered a "live" conductor by the wiring rules. While not affecting normal operation of a device, a neutral to earth leakage can cause the RCDs to trip.

David

Reply to
David

** Irrelevant to any of my points.

Current flow due to a short is not "leakage" - you ass.

Kindly f*ck off.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Please go back and read my post properly, and point out where I said a short is leakage. My words which you omitted were "A lowish resistance fault can then cause the required residual leakage current".

Your statement

is not necessarily true, and if you only check the active for leakage you may not find the cause. You will need to isolate the neutral and test that for leakage too, as anyone compentent to test wiring would know and understand.

David

Reply to
David

No Phil. We fortunately don't have that disorder in our family genes. I can only wonder why you know so much about it. Still it would explain your behaviour, especially your acceptance of fantasy instead of reality, and deficits in social interaction.

David

Reply to
David

"David"

** That is seriously insane.

You are a vile piece of work - David the Anonymous.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:55:21 GMT, Glenn Pure put finger to keyboard and composed:

How accurately can one match the A and N windings in the ELCB's toroid? Let's assume that there is a 1mA balance error, at rated output, due to manufacturing tolerances. When a high power device is switched on, the inrush current may be ten times the normal operating current, or even greater. Under these conditions, wouldn't the error be magnified in the same proportion? For example, a 30x inrush may result in an effective 30mA imbalance which would be enough to trip the ELCB. Does your problem persist if you defeat the earth pin?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

"Franc Zabkar"

** A home drill press will never even approach creating a 300 amp surge - my 1/4 hp one barely makes a 3 amp one. In any case - a 300 amp peak surge, of only one half cycle duration, will trip a domestic 20 amp breaker every time.

In my home workshop, I have a 20 amp breaker and a portable RCD in line from the AC outlet. The worst surges are from large ( ie 1 kVA ) toroidal power transformers and will regularly trip the breaker but not the RCD.

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Wed, 04 May 2005 12:27:15 +1000, David put finger to keyboard and composed:

The author of this letter claims he has experienced nuisance tripping as a result of off-peak control tones:

Any thoughts as to what is going on inside the ELCB?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar