Don't try to splice earphone cables - Page 2

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

It's called Litz wire. Gives it strength and flexibility.

Found this very effective BUT slow.................
A Dremel tool with a stainless steel wire wheel attachment works very well.
I found that the stainless wheel works faster and lasts longer than the
carbon steel wheel, with the added advantage that the small pieces of the
wheel brush that wear off during the process are non-magnetic, so they won't
attach to nearby driver magnets (don't need little pieces of wire inside my
EMIMs and EMITs!). Simply remove ~ 1/2" of the insulation, then untwist the
various strands from each other (the Cardas Litz has 3 counterwound layers
of different diameter wire to untwist, do them one at a time) and flatten
them into a flat fan shape. Set the Dremel to about 1/2 of maximum speed and
apply to the coated wire, ensuring that the wheel is ALWAYS turning toward
the ends of the wire (otherwise they will entangle with the spinning wire
wheel and snap off!). 10 seconds on each side of the fanned wire is very
effective at removing the varnish coating without destroying the wires. Then
re-fan the wire in a different direction and repeat the process 2 or 3 times
to ensure that all the wires get stripped. You will be left with nice clean
varnish-free wires, which can then be tinned as usual.

As a test of this method I measured the AC impedance of each of the wires of
the same length at 10kHz using my LCR meter, and found that they all were
very consistent, indicating that I was effectively and consistently removing
the varnish and using all the wires in the bundle.

By the way, the speakers sound terrific! I'm not sure how much of the
improvement was from the litz wire, but it certainly didn't hurt the sound!

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

It's nice to know that you mucking around with CB radios all these
years has not gone completely to waste.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

You never know when to give up, do you? Litz wire is unlikely to be
used in CB radio.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

What about in headphones or microphones that are used WITH a cb radio?

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

OK, the headphones would not come with the radio, they would be your
own property and therefore outside the scope of this discussion. The
microphone coiled lead is very likely to use a type of Litz wire for
flexibility. Litz is not designed to be soldered, though it is
possible but tricky. Crimping is the preferred method of connection.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

So you are now saying that Litz IS used in cb radios.  Also, back to
headphones/earphones, does or does not your cb radios have a speaker/
headphone/earphone socket on the back?

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

It is not used *in* the radio, it is used in an *accessory*. I do not
own any CB Radios, but of those on the market - the external speaker
socket may be used with an *optional* external speaker. External radio
speakers most commonly use 13 strand twin-core copper wire, not Litz
wire. It is not recommended to plug headphones into the external
speaker socket due to impedance mismatch and the excessive sound
pressure levels that may be experienced with headphones/earphones.

This lesson is free.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

The reason the lesson is free is because it is value-less.  I never
said that Litz was used in CB radios, I said that those years of you
mucking around with cb radios wasn't a total waste of time.  I assume
that someone who spends every waking hour trying to chat up young
ladies on the cb would also tinker with them to try to impress those
same YL's.  It is safe to assume that you added accessories such as
desk microphones and all sorts of headphones and earphones so as your
were getting up to on the cb.  Now THIS lesson is free.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Actually you did, and I quote "So you are now saying that Litz IS used
in cb radios"

 I said that those years of you

Indeed I do not spend my time 'mucking around' as you put it. I spent
my years installing them in helicopters for others to muck around with
them.

 A0%I assume

And from that point on you assumed wrong several times and just talked
a lot of crap and noise.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

We've already established that you have an old caravan in your
backyard full of cb radios where you try to chat to local young ladies.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

No *we* haven't. You have alleged it, but no facts exist to support
your allegation.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

I obtained photographic evidence and explained what I saw on that
photo to you - and you had no choice but to agree.  We both know that
I'm right, don't we?

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

What you *saw* on the photo was correct, and I agreed with that. What
you imagined after that was not agreed and you yourself stated you
could not see inside the 'van, so everything else is supposition on
your part. Indeed much of it was just downright fabrication or
misrepresentation of the few facts you held. I even fed you false
details and you dutifully rehashed them and re-presented them as
facts, like a Murdoch journalist.

I'm surprised you want to go on with this story. Watching it unfold
last time was fascinating and like watching a train wreck in slow
motion. I found it difficult to believe you had no humility and felt
no embarrassment with regard to your behavior. It was only because you
wrote the 'help me Obi Wan Sylvia, you're my only friend' message a
couple of days later that I cut you some slack. Up to that point I was
compiling a file for the Police.

I had already been in contact with my local council and confirmed that
there had been no FOI requests regarding my property (your claims were
therefore bullshit) , and I had visited the local police and enquired
about applying for a warrant charging you with stalking.  Once I read
you email to Sylvia I understood your frame of mind at that time I
ceased all action. You came very close indeed.

[...]

You don't have a sufficient case to get a stalking charge made,
you need to show each of the 4 conditions to qualify that stalking occured.

1/ The alleged stalker caused you feelings of apprehension - Oh Dear!  *tick*
2/ The alleged stalker communicated with you - GASP!   *tick*
3/ The alleged stalking occured on more than one occasion!  Persistent Bastard!
*tick*
4/ You've got a good rack!   *cross*

Each of these stringent criteria must be met!  Otherwise the police receptionist
won't
give you a tour of all the bonus options like a free week lock up at the watch
house, just sign here!

Herc

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables
*tick*

I have a feeling that Brad is either a Matthew Goodyear wanna-be, or a
Rod Speed wanna-be.  Either way, it's pretty pathetic.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

If you can't handle the heat mate, just simply either get out of the
kitchen, or simply killfile me (like you've said you have dozens of
times) or simply stop replying to my posts.  It's not rocket science.
What OTHER bodily functions can't you control?  Fuck morons like you
shit me.  How do you even survive in the real world?  Oh that's right,
your real world is and old caravan in the back yard talking on your cb
radio trying to pick up girls to talk to you.  Get a life mate and
leave us adults alone.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

For the aus.electronics aficionados I have plotted the SIGNAL / CRAP / NOISE
ratio of
posts in aus.tv.

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=p3&chs30%0x100&chd=t:4,40,66&chl=Signal |Crap|Noise&chco00%FF00|FFFF00|FF0000

Herc

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Yes, you have.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables
mmm who on earth would pay  $ 90 for a pair of ear fones ?????

betchya 90$ you couldnt pick the differance between a $15 pair and a $90
pair..

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Like to see you get a quality in-ear noise cancelling earphone for
less than $100 - let alone $15

Site Timeline