Don't try to splice earphone cables

After weeks to get my sound isolated earphones, which cut out surrounding noise
perfectly with a bit of music, I ordered an iPod shuffle, a hotel matchbox sized
MP3 player.

But to keep my address private I sent it to my old address which redirects to my
PO BOX,
I always do that for mail order and on the occasion a courier goes to my old
address they
soon work it out and I get them to send it to the PO BOX themselves.

JB HIFI didn't do that, it says order complete and no IPOD... yada yada yada, so
I cut
the cables on the Blackberry earphones and the $90 Sound Insulating earphones,
well
worth the money!

There's 5 wires!  Blackberry uses a smal USB plug so I was trying to plug my SI
earphones
into the Blackberry.  So I snip further up the cable where it splits into 2 and
there's 2 wires
but different colours to the 5 at the base of the cable.  OK I'm going to have
to hotwire the
earphones and see what gives a signal.  So I snip the $90 earphone cable and
despite having
stripped 1000 wires with my teeth with 100% record, this cable is made of weird
rubber,
and the wires aren't even copper or insulated, they're frayed wire in the same
rubber covering,
insulate by a powder coating it seems, I got one wire stripped but no luck.  2
earphones wrecked,
now I have to buy a paper with good ole earplugs and hope I don't get verbally
assaulted too badly.

Herc
The Unrecognized Truman under 10 years strong sonic torture.

--
One small click for a mouse
One giant upgrade to www.MindReading.com

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Herc, Herc, Herc - you your own worst enemy.....

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Does that sentence even make sense to you David?

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

So I left out an "are" - what is your problem, loser? I blame the
James Squire Original Amber Ale.....

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables
noise
sized MP3 player.
to my PO BOX,
old address they
yada, so I cut
earphones, well
my SI earphones
and there's 2 wires
have to hotwire the
and despite having
weird rubber,
same rubber covering,
luck. 2 earphones wrecked,
verbally assaulted too badly.

So I left out an "are" - what is your problem, loser? I blame the
James Squire Original Amber Ale.....

----

It must be embarrasing being you on Talk Like A Pirate Day!  Arr..

Herc

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

You bring it on yourself, you annoying loon.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

You bring it on yourself, you annoying loon.

-------

Classic rapists defence.

Herc

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Says the lying extortionist stalker loon.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

You need to ne VERY careful of what you accuse someone of, you slimey
little brain-damaged maggot, otherwise you might find yourself ending
up in a court of law (yet again).

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

LOL! Good one, Hercster!

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

rubber covering,

I think they're made that way so as to obviate the standard solution of
replacing the plug when the wearer makes the the all too common mistake
of trying to walk away from the device the headphones are plugged into,
causing the conductors to part company (if only internally) with the plug.

They're probably made with specially designed inadequate strain relief
as well.

Sylvia.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables
same rubber covering,
replacing the plug when the wearer makes the the all too
plugged into, causing the conductors to part company (if

Actually the stretchy sheath and frayed wire on the $90 earphones is a lot
easier to bend than the blackberry cable.

Any candidates for a stretchy conducting material to solve the sudden jolt
problem?

I'll have a go cutting the sheath lengthwise with scissors, but working with sub
millimeter wires is a pain.

Herc

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables
same rubber covering,
replacing the plug when the wearer makes the the all too
plugged into, causing the conductors to part company (if
well.
easier to bend than the blackberry cable.

problem?

braided copper around a compressible elestic inner. (ala bungee-cord)

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

PING

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

PING
----------
Did your G-string snap?

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables
rubber covering,

I've had some success by just pretending I haven't noticed, and
soldering a wire onto them regardless.

Sylvia.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Conductive plastic tinsel?

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Probably not in the cases where I've had success.

I think there are variants where there are some real metal strands in
there, together with many non-metal fibres.

Sylvia.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

Correct. The non-copper strands are what provide the strength , but they can
usually burnt away with a lighter or match to make it easier to solder the
wire.

Re: Don't try to splice earphone cables

It's called Litz wire. Gives it strength and flexibility.

Site Timeline