Does you soldering iron glow ? - Page 2

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

"Dan"
"Phil Allison"

**  Drivel ......

** All depends on the ambient light level -  plus the eyes of the observer.

   Which is just what my Q was all about.

**  Your memories are very seamy - indeed.

....   Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?
Phil Allison for President - I like his style!

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

"Jason James"
 "Phil Allison"

** You  STILL have not bothered to read the damn question  !!!

     Piss off  -  fuckhead.

......  Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

"Jason James"

** You  STILL have not bothered to **read** the damn question  !!!

    Piss off  -    you total IMBECILE.

......  Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Right, so you've never actually used a variable temp iron, you just watch
other technicians?
The tip never "glows red", even at the max 480degC on a Hakko.
Sometimes you have to turn it up that high temorarily for some rework jobs
etc.

Have you figured out yet that 370C, 430C, and 480C are actually standard
Weller tip temps?

Dave.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

where
iron

Have you done any circuit board work with a variable tip temp iron? If so,
are you saying you have operated your iron near or at flat-out temperatures
whilst doing your repairs etc?

Jason

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?
"Jason James Steaming Great Fuckwit "

** You  STILL have not bothered to **read** the damn question  !!!

    Piss off  -   you total IMBECILE   !!

......  Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Yes, for the last 25 years or so, thanks.
Care to answer the same question I asked you?

Of course I have, there are occasionas were higher temps are beneficial.
If you don't know why, then you really haven't got any experience at all.
There are reasons why variable temp irons have the capability to go well
over 400C, and there are high temperature tips to suit.

You are the one who made the foolish statement that 370C is too hot, and the
only iron that gets to that temp is an "old large Scope iron with the 3.3
volt AC tranny". You still standing by that?

Dave.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

watch
standard

Say no more. You have no idea.

Jason

the

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Jason James  =  Steaming Great Fuckwit

** You  STILL have not bothered to **read** the damn question  !!!

   Piss off to hell  -

  you   total  IMBECILE   !!

......  Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

LMAO!
Classic digging oneself out of a usenet hole technique.
I'd suggest you stick to aus.cars
Thanks for the laughs.

Dave.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?
On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:54:28 +1000, "David L. Jones"

Can you even buy weller irons these days? My first soldering iron (I
am a yougen compared to most) was an old weller in a bakelite case.
Someone had dropped it at my fathers work and smashed it to bits, so
he retreived it an crafted a new case for it out of wood. Worked a
treat and lasted for years. I remember learning the hard way once that
you can file those tips, took me months to save up for a new tip!

And Jason, I have worked on electronics for many years, and more often
than not I had the iron cranked up well over 370degC, and that was on
surface mount stuff. Think about those big heatsinks that come built
into SMPS sections, and switching fets etc. If you can solder a
surface mounted LM1117 without cranking up the temp then you obviously
more time than common sense. They design irons to go up to that temp
for a very good reason.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

You sure can, more models than ever:
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=WEL003&att1=Soldering%20Stations&att2=Industrial%20Soldering%20Stations

A lot people still swear by their fix temp Wellers, but I've never been a
big fan for my own use. I've always preferred the flexibility of a variable
temp iron, and of course Weller make a full range of those now too (450degC
max for those playing along at home).

Fixed temp irons come into their own for production use though, much greater
control over your production process. No knobs for the operators to play
with.

Dave.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

repairers
rework
his

Lead temp and time heat is applied has always been a parameter I have kept
to an absolute minium, as many times we would be out in the scrub at a
remote A/G and link site with out of service time and occasionally spares at
a premium.
We used clip-on heat sinks for some applications, for as night follows day,
too much heat or on a lead for too long, would stuff the smaller
semiconductors.
It's a sense you get after experience, that indicated the less heat you use,
the less chance of damage. Using an iron which is so hot, it's tip is
glowing was once of the more gross mistakes newbies would make.

Jason

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

<snip>

When you get as good as me you dont need clip on heatsinks. I have
never had a heat damaged component. I choose the temperature according
to the soldering I am doing. IT comes with experience. BTW, I have
done remote work with little or no spares as well.

 Now if you read phils post correctly, you would notice that not once
did he mention the fact that he was using the iron at that temp for
electronics work.

You also stated " The only irons that will get to
that sort of heat is the old large Scope iron with the 3.3 volt AC
tranny." which is totally incorrect also. My hakko iron goes up to
480degC, as does many I have worked with over the years. Check out
this baby, 200-450degC ->
http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx950.html
and this
http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fm203.html

Phils post mentioned a temp of around 370degC would show the iron
glowing in the dark. Now I dont know about you, but even a newbie
would recognise this temp as being a perfectly fine temp for
soldering. Now if you take some time to go visit the weller website,
you will see that these newbies are selling standard 370degC tips.
They have been round for quite a while now, so i guess this has been a
gross mistake for many years now?

You see, from where I am sitting, all of your argument points to you
being the newbie.

Beside the point, this really has nothing to do with the question
asked in the original post.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Right, so you've never actually used a variable temp iron, you just watch
other technicians?
The tip never "glows red", even at the max 480degC on a Hakko.
Sometimes you have to turn it up that high temorarily for some rework jobs
etc.

Have you figured out yet that 370C, 430C, and 480C are actually standard
Weller tip temps?

Dave.

Site Timeline