Does you soldering iron glow ?

** Hi to all,

 " Does your chewing gum loose its flavour on the bed post overnight  "
was  THE  burning question on everyone's mind back in the 1959  -  courtesy
of one Lonnie Donegan.  Yep -  I am old just enough the remember hearing it
on AM radio.

But my question  IS  can  YOU  see any red glow from a typical soldering
iron -  in the dark of course. You will need to try this out, in a dark
room, at night  -  after allowing a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to
the very low light level.

Would just like to know what temperature is needed to create a barely
visible, dull red glow.

So far, I reckon it is a bit less than 370 C.

Any takers?

.....  Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Nothing on TV tonight Phil?

Seriously though.  The post is electronics related, but most in the industry
are too flat out using their soldering irons and have no time to sit in the
dark wondering if the tip is glowing.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

If I take the bit off my Hakko, it glows pretty well in the daylight.

geoff

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Only if the magnetic switch gets stuck. But then you don't need the dark to see
it glowing:-)

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Well, Phil's question is actually an interesting one, although not
strictly an electronics question.  He is basically asking about
relationship between temperature and electromagnetic radiation.  A
'black body' at a certain temperature will emit electromagnetic
radiation with a particular centre frequency (and weaker emissions on
either side of this center frequency).

How does an incandescent light work?  By heating a thin tungsten wire
(with a very high melting point) by electrical resistance.  The colour
of the incandescent light is related to the temperature the filament
reaches (hence the term for those familiar with it, the colouir
temperature).  Have a look at wikipedia or this link (there are many
others):

http://www.mediacollege.com/lighting/colour/colour-temperature.html

To cut a long and complex story short, the cooler the body, the lower
the frequency of electromagnetic radiation.  The red end of visible
light in the electromagnetic spectrum is emitted by a body at about
1000 Kelvin (Celsius + 273 = Kelvin).  So a soldering iron at 370
Celsius will be at about 640 Kelvin, not that far below the red end of
the visible electromagnetic spectrum.  While the peak emission
frequency of EM radiation will be in the infrared and invsibible to
normal vision, the shoulders of the emission will run, on one side,
towards the red end of the spectrum... so it is quite possible that a
feint red glow might be visible.

BTW, if you are wondering how an IR camera or sensor works, it simply
picks up the electromagnetic radiation in the invisible infrared that
comes from an object due to its temperature.  So there is a bit of an
electronics link in spite of what I said.

Cheers
Glenn

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

"Glenn"

**  It is one that electronics types can easily  answer  -  cos they mostly
all own a temp controlled soldering iron.

**  WRONG !

 The Q is ALL about the ** sensitivity **  of the human eye to near IR
radiation.

**  Ya flick the damn switch  -   wanker.

**  Pheeeeeewwwww  .....

Now,  go see if  YOU  can see any glow from  YOUR  iron in the dark.

I take it as granted that your  PUNY  DICK  glows brightly   -   so keep it
in your trousers during any and all observations.

....  Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

The guy politely replies to your stupid post, and so you abuse him.

Weird.

Dan

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Actually, I tried again in absolute darkness (Had to tape off the ON lamp) and
found that shortly before the magnet switches off I see a dim glow.
Weller Magnastat 60W with tip No.7 PT-AA(supposedly switch temperature 370 deg)
:-)

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

"TonyS"

**  OK  -  thanks for the info.

 370C is indeed visible.

....   Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?
On Tue, 6 May 2008 22:32:34 +1000, "Phil Allison"

I just tried it on my hakko 700, soldering iron side, not desolderer.
Started off at 360C on the dial and let my eyes adjust to the dark.
Slowly cranked it up over 10 minutes to the max (480C on the dial) and
still could not see anything. Its possible that the dial on my iron is
wrong.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

"The Real Andy"
"Phil Allison"

**  There is another explanation  .....

 .....   Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Tried it on my ERSA RDS 80 soldering station, started at 400c (on the
display) and even in total darkness couldn't see any glow.  Cranked it
up using the "+"  button until the display indicated "450" (as far as
it would go).

(I have my doubts as to whether it actually went to 450, seemed to get
there too quickly from 400, and the power bar graph display sat at a
low level throughout the "heating" process - usually it tops out.)

There was still no visible glow, even after a few minutes of "full
power" and complete darkness.

Not wanting to admit defeat,

I pulled out the trusty old Scope iron  (the 3.3v one with the carbon
element, and the black bakelite body with the spring loaded ring you
pushed forward to turn on the iron) that I hadnt used in probably 15+
years -  and fired it up.  Less than 2 minutes of being held on the
end was glowing red, even in room light it was visible.  No temp gauge
though on such a beast, and have nothing here that could measure a
temperature that high, so I cant say what temperature it was at.

Got to admit though, you cant beat it for fast heat-up time from
cold :)

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?
On Wed, 7 May 2008 20:33:44 +1000, "Phil Allison"

My eyes cannot see IR like yours? I can often see a glow from IR
remotes in the dark, but i suspect that this is more visible light
that I can see.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

courtesy
it

Quick answer: No. If it is, it's too hot. The only irons that will get to
that sort of heat is the old large Scope iron with the 3.3 volt AC tranny.
Not recommended for cct board work.

Jason

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

"Jason James"

** 370C is the standard temp for a soldering iron -  idiot.

** You have not bothered to read the question.

    Piss head.

.....  Phil

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Rubbish. A standard weller tip is 370C
Other stanard temps for fixed temp weller tips are 315C, 430C, and 480C

LOL!
Any variable temp iron goes to well over 400C
The industry standard Hakko 926/936 for instance goes to 480C on the dial.
Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a variable temp iron that doesn't go
to at least 400C.

Dave.

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

soldering
tranny.

Never have I seen anyone using a soldering iron on radio work that is
glowing. The temp range may allow you to achieve this state,..but only a
moron would use it in that state. The tin burns off the tip, it carbonises,
a complete mess.

Jason

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

Carbonises ? ...it might oxidise or evaporate but where is this carbon
coming from ?

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

dark
adjust
carbonises,

You win the chemistry question....

Allison should address his question to automotive radiator repairers where
the iron's job has a nice heat-sink effect to keep the tip low enough to
curtail destructive temps. I have never seen a technician operate his iron
with the tip glowing red FFS,..plus I wouldn't let an iron get that hot,
just to answer one of Allison's stupid questions. Let him fuckup his own
variable temp iron.

Jason

Re: Does you soldering iron glow ?

This will only work if you have a shitty soldering iron. Iron or steel needs
to get to about 480 degrees for it to glow red. If you have a shitty iron
that is 480 degrees at the top and 300 at your temp censor you can probably
do it. But I seem to remember you would need 400W to get the metal hot
enough.

Site Timeline