Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

Oh those morons. They screwed this one up rotten. Heard of WEEE ? Implemented nowhere as far as I can see. My local council didn't even reply to a request as to where I should dispose of old computers or CFLs.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Where did the lead come from ? I wouldn't mind betting it's natural, as is Radon gas in Cornwall, UK from decaying isotopes in granite.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

We made our hydrogen in coke bottles, and sometimes the reaction got so hot the bottle shattered. One day we thought it would be a great idea to put a fuse on the balloon and light it so that when the balloon got up in the sky a bit it explode. The fuse was made from paper that had been saturated in a potassium nitrate solution, (tell the chemist you mum needs it to make sausages). The paper was dried and it becomes our fuse paper. However, as one of us held the balloon and the other lit the fuse the flame from the match went on the balloon and it blew up in our faces leaving us with the smell of singed eyebrows. We eventually got it to work.

P.S Don't try this at home kids.

Reply to
Davo

In message , Theo writes

"When I were a lad"....

4 aluminium milkbottle tops (the tops, not the bottles!), Tizer bottle, conc hydrochloric acid, balloon stretched over neck of bottle. When balloon full, remove from bottle, and tie neck.

Prior to release, cotton string plus Jetex fuze wrapped around neck of balloon. Light string, and blow out flame, leaving it to smoulder.

Release. Balloon rises into the blue. Smouldering string reaches Jetex fuze. Fuze ignites and fizzes. Balloon explodes with either a loud bang (if the hydrogen contains a fair proportion of air), or a whoop (if it is pure).

You'd probably get 20 years for doing that today!

--
Ian
Reply to

Oh indeed. But the cynic in me says H&S legislation is more to prevent any chance of an employer being sued than the actual health of the workforce - especially if any incurred charges can be past on to others.

Well lead is one of the easiest extracted metals so certain parts of the world are already 'contaminated' with it. It's a bit different when it's modified so large concentrations can be airborne.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lead additives in petrol / gasoline stopped so long ago, that should be no problem for airborne pollution.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Here in the former Colonies, we have solved a more vexing disposal problem: what to do with nuclear power plant waste. We just keep dumping it into the pools conveniently located adjacent to each plant. After a while, it decays to (um) lead?

Reply to
Bryce

It is excreted, but fairly slowly. It tends to hang around in the bones longer than in the other tissues.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

It is an issue when the Lead is heated to the point of vaporization. Allow adequate exhaust ventilation. This also applies to various fluxes which can lead to respiratory damage or discomfort. I tended to hold my breath when soldering and allow the air to clear before breathing.

Reply to
JB

Well, you lost that bet. It came from lead ore dust from ship load operations. They jusyt didn't wet it down in what is/was basically a hot dry and windy location.

Reply to
terryc

labels

the

the

is

The

plants.

Actually there is a lot of home recycling of electronics in 3rd world countries with high concentrations of various contamination. Imagine little children smashing batteries and carrying the dust in baskets on their heads for 20 cents a day.

Reply to
JB

In message , Ian Jackson writes

You'd be lucky to get prison time, more likely to get shot in the head by an armed copper.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

It's fine. Don't worry about it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

I'm still using 30 year old Sn/Pb cored solder - it's perfect. Last year I picked up a few more 1 lb reels of "63/37" in case the RoHS-police stopped the sale of the stuff - should last me out in this hobby. My old company went Pb-free around 2007 - what a headache! Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Engineer

Are they Antex bits? I've noticed some "new" (old stock) tips which I have are so & soes to "tin". Even the normal "Bib" tip tinner didn't help. Once tinned they are fine.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN
 Click to see the full signature