Does multicore solder deteriorate with age? - Page 2

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

Lead additives in petrol / gasoline stopped so long ago, that should be no
problem for airborne pollution.

Graham

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

It is an issue when the Lead is heated to the point of vaporization.  Allow
adequate exhaust ventilation.  This also applies to various fluxes which can
lead to respiratory damage or discomfort.  I tended to hold my breath when
soldering and allow the air to clear before breathing.

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?
More like job creation for the legislators in Brussels.
--
Ian

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

Oh those morons. They screwed this one up rotten. Heard of WEEE ? Implemented
nowhere as far as I can see. My local council didn't even reply to a request as
to where I should dispose of old computers or CFLs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Electrical_and_Electronic_Equipment_Directive

Graham

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Electrical_and_Electronic_Equipment_Directive

Here in the former Colonies, we have solved a more vexing disposal problem:
what to do with nuclear power plant waste.  We just keep dumping it into
the pools conveniently located adjacent to each plant.  After a while, it
decays to (um) lead?

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

Not even remotely. Aside from the non-existent electronics recycling plants.

Graham

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?
labels
the
the
is
The
plants.
Actually there is a lot of home recycling of electronics in 3rd world
countries with high concentrations of various contamination.  Imagine little
children smashing batteries and carrying the dust in baskets on their heads
for 20 cents a day.

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

You're quite right.

I discovered that the real reason for going lead-free ( at least in the EU ) was
to make recycling less hazardous, yet the associated WEEE ( recycling )
legislation is now about a decade behind. We have products here that have a
symbol that says they mustn't be disposed of with normal domestic waste, yet
nothing has been put in place to deal with it.

So what do people do ? They put it in with the normal domestic waste anyway.

In the meantime, commercial concerns have found that electronic waste has a
bitter taste and contains no profit to recycle, so THEY aren't going to do
anything about it.

And of course, the absence of lead leads to reduced product life and
unreliability, hence MORE total waste will result. Lead was added to tin in
solder precisely to make it more reliable in the first place.

This is what happens when 'politicians' run things. 'Off with their heads', I
say.

Graham

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

I'm not so sure, here in Western Australia we had hundreds, if not
thousands of birds literally falling out of the sky from lead poisoning.
The whole town of Esperance was polluted and had to be cleaned at great
expense. Lead is still being found in rainwater tanks.
Lead is a deadly poison that accumulates in the body, it's not excreted.

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

Where did the lead come from ? I wouldn't mind betting it's natural, as is Radon
gas in Cornwall, UK from decaying isotopes in granite.

Graham

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

Well, you lost that bet. It came from lead ore dust from ship load
operations. They jusyt didn't wet it down in what is/was basically a hot
dry and windy location.

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

It is excreted, but fairly slowly.  It tends to hang around in the bones
longer than in the other tissues.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

It's fine. Don't worry about it.

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

I'm still using 30 year old Sn/Pb cored solder - it's perfect.
Last year I picked up a few more 1 lb reels of "63/37" in case the
RoHS-police stopped the sale of the stuff - should last me out in this
hobby.
My old company went Pb-free around 2007 - what a headache!
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

 > I'm thinking the rosin in the multicores may have gone off in some way

Are they Antex bits? I've noticed some "new" (old stock) tips which I have
are so & soes to "tin". Even the normal "Bib" tip tinner didn't help. Once
tinned they are fine.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN