Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

I realise the odds aren't great but worth a try.

As I've mentioned in other threads I've been 'refurbishing' a 'Playmaster
Pro Series Three' kitset power amplifier. I have a photocpy of the
instructions that came with the (DSE) kitset (basically a copy of the
article in Feb 1994 EA). Also I found on the net where someone had uploaded
scans of the original article and grabbed that. However there are a few...
inconsistancies between the text and the diagrams / photographs. I know from
reading a few EA magazines and a few Silicon Chip magazines that there are
often postscripts to construction projects in magazines in the following
months, either in the Notes and Errata sections or as sidebars or even in
the 'Postbag' section/s.

Just a thought what with this group being aus.electronics and usenet being
mostly the domain of older people. I've heard mixed reviews of this
amplifier with some saying they sound great and others saying they sound
average. I even read a comment by one guy who'd heard several of them and
said one sounded amazing, some were average and one was nasty and that it
probably comes down to construction techniques. (The one I'm fixing up was
certainly under the 'bad construction technique' category.)

So with those varying comments I'm wondering if there might also have been
post-kit improvements discussed in the next two or three months that could
also account for the wide variations in how people think that they completed
amplifiers sound.

Just a thought and maybe worth a shot asking while I still have it mostly in
bits.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

Here's a post on a forum I found a few months back when I first got the amp
and wondered why it sounded crappy;
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/42598-playmaster-pro-series-3-amp/
--
Shaun.

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

Likely much better than using a 14 year old mid-range Sony home theatre amp
or an older K135 / J50 based MOSFET amp (with unshielded EI trannys) which
are my other options. At least it's got over-sized toroidal trannies.

As AvE would say you've got to piss with the cock you've got. At least I'll
get it sounding better than the guy who built the kit originally did.

Seems nobody has the relevant issues of EA on hand (or can't be arsed
checking for me). :(
--
Shaun.

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

Fair enough. If they're not indexed it'd be quite a task.

I let my Silicon Chip subscription lapse a while back as money got tighter.
Last time I checked the web site's not very forthcoming if you're not a
subscriber.

Yeah just checked again and they show a list of EA projects and I could
order a scanned copy of any article for $10 each but I have part 1 and 2 for
the Playmaster Pro 3 (Feb / Mar '94) and the DSE-supplied instructions. What
I'm interested in trying to find is if there are any later mentions in Notes
and Errata or Mailbag that could be helpful. Even if I could afford those
sections for, say the next four months they aren't on the list of available
articles.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

As I recall they also used to have an index of errata as well

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

Hmmm, ok, couldn't find that for the issues in the 90s. I might have another
look later after I've done a few chores.

Thanks,
--
Shaun.

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?
If you lived in Sydney ,the State library of nsw keeps copies,just get a
library card and they will let you take copies,small charg.

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?

Thanks but I'm in NZ and a long way away from a major library.
--
Shaun.

Re: Does anyone have EA magazines from Early-mid 1994?
If you lived in Sydney ,the State library of nsw keeps copies,just get a
library card and they will let you take copies,small charg.

Site Timeline