Dodgy step down tranny - Page 2

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

"Stupider than anyone Else on Earth "

** They are two different models.

**  FFS  -  read the OP.

 The stepdown I have here is probably several years old.

....  Phil

Re: Dodgy step down tranny
Your point being? That the seller used to be a ripoff merchant, but is
now selling quality goods?

Sylvia.

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

**High end audio is a different world to that which most people inhabit.
Perception is more important than performance in most instances.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

"Trevor Wilson"

** That is true nearly everywhere.

    Especially politics.

..... Phil

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

The average consumer would not know what weight to expect.

They also would not
know there was a problem until they tried to run it at full load, and
found that they had
an appliance not working effectively.

There is also the issue of mains frequency, especially with
transformers, ballasts etc that are made for 60hz.
Induction motors would also run slowly.

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

I agree. The point I was making is that it would make little sense for
the website to be overstating the weight, because the only people who
would pay attention to it for the purpose of assessing power rating
would also notice immediately that what they received was too light.

Certainly that's something the user has to be aware of, but the web site
makes no representation that the frequency is changed.

Sylvia.

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

[...]

Early CD players had sprung feet and a large ballast to damp vibrations. As
electronics got better & tracking became more reliable the manufacturers did
away with it.

I have an early Kenwood player here built that way. I wonder if it was a
case of the high end auto manufacturers translating their experience with
turntables into the new fangled CD players.

Bruce

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

"Bruce Kook"

** Only a tiny few models had any such nonsense.

** Horse manure.

** Pure marketing hype.

.....  Phil

Re: Dodgy step down tranny
On Feb 15, 11:28A0%am, Bruce Cook <bruce-

CDM12 still has spring feet on it.

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

Also, certain products might have to "feel to be a certain weight" in
relation to its physical volume, for the consumer to perceive them to
be a "quality" product.

You would know more about it than I would - being in the industry -
but I think high end audio would fall into this category ?

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

**Absolutely. In fact, I've worked on a few Class D amps (that use SMPS)
that are quite heavy, where there is absolutely no reason for them to be so.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

Still, 25kg?

Any consumer who expects a CD player to weigh that much fully deserves
the hernia they get when trying to install it.

Sylvia.

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

I suppose that they could claim it to be a vibration damper. Stranger
things have been know with "HiFi" devices.

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

Why would they bother with an explanation? I bet the marketing instructions
were to place the unit in the hands of the prospective customer. Kaching (or
whatever the sound of a credit card sliding through a slot is....
suggestions, anyone?).

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

Also note that he has a 3000W transformer on his website.  Would be
interesting to see if this had a 15A plug :)

Re: Dodgy step down tranny

Perhaps just two 10A plugs ;)

Sylvia.

Site Timeline