Dodgy step down tranny

Your point being? That the seller used to be a ripoff merchant, but is now selling quality goods?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I suppose that they could claim it to be a vibration damper. Stranger things have been know with "HiFi" devices.

Reply to
keithr

the

"Korean

than

of

as

at a

ce of

uld

(in

The average consumer would not know what weight to expect.

They also would not know there was a problem until they tried to run it at full load, and found that they had an appliance not working effectively.

There is also the issue of mains frequency, especially with transformers, ballasts etc that are made for 60hz. Induction motors would also run slowly.

Reply to
kreed

Still, 25kg?

Any consumer who expects a CD player to weigh that much fully deserves the hernia they get when trying to install it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I agree. The point I was making is that it would make little sense for the website to be overstating the weight, because the only people who would pay attention to it for the purpose of assessing power rating would also notice immediately that what they received was too light.

Certainly that's something the user has to be aware of, but the web site makes no representation that the frequency is changed.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Three wires indeed makes it an autotransformer. In my copy of AS3000, section 4.28.4 (Autotransformers) clause 2 states: "Prohibited use. Autotransformers shall not be used for reducing or controlling the voltage to equipment which is liable to be handled in normal use."

Seems like the amp you are trying to repair is part of an all too common illegal setup; be careful Phil.

--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)
Reply to
Chas

Why would they bother with an explanation? I bet the marketing instructions were to place the unit in the hands of the prospective customer. Kaching (or whatever the sound of a credit card sliding through a slot is.... suggestions, anyone?).

Reply to
Bruce Varley

"Chas"

** Yep - I know that section of AS3000 very well !!!!

But AS3000 is the "electrical wiring rules" - ie the electrician's bible.

4.28.4 prohibits the * INSTALLATION * of a step down, auto-transformer for use with portable appliances.

(IIRC, ones that convert 240v to 220v are excepted from the prohibition )

AS3000 is NOT relevant to plug-in appliances sold to the public.

** Nothing illegal about it in Australia, at present.

I have personally campaigned against the open sale of auto-transformer 240V /120 V step-downs for many years. There was a Forum column about the topic in EA magazine in the mid 1990s that was due to my efforts.

I pointed out some of the dangers inherent in the use of such transformers with old, US made appliances like valve radios and guitar amplifiers - which are now pouring into this country, courtesy mostly of eBay sales.

I believe I was largely responsible for getting Jaycar to drop all but one of the units they were selling, getting Arlec to stop importing them and getting Farnell to drop the Arlec brand one they were selling. Unfortunately eBay sellers appear to be a law unto themselves - even the ones operating in this country.

It will probably take at least a couple of fatal accidents before Government authorities step in and ban them completely.

Even that will be far too late - as there are currently many thousands in circulation.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"kreed"

** At 12.5 kg including box and assuming there is a toroidal tranny inside, the unit must be an isolation type.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

However, I noted that their 1kW version weighs quite a lot less than the

1kW isolating step-down transformer from Jaycar.

On the eBay web site the supplier has two 500W step down transformers. On is an isolating transformer, the other is not. The isolating transformer weighs 12kg, the non-isolating version only 3.4kg. Since they've expressly identified one transformer as isolating, but none of their other transformers that way, it seems reasonably safe to assume that the others are autotransformers.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Stupider than Anyone Else Alive"

** The Jaycar one is obviously an E-Core type - see the pic ??

An E-core will be up to double the weight of a comparable toroidal type.

An auto-transformer will be around half the weight of a comparable isolation type.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Even at 12.5kg I doubt the 2kW rating is genuine. I have a 1kW rated isolation transformer which weighs in at over 16kg - and that isn't in a case. Admittedly, mine is not a toroidal but the variation in weight for a supposed 2kW toroidal versus a 1kw E-I tranny is still an indication of lack of truthfulness in the rating for this tranny.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

"Ross Herbert"

** A 2kVA toroidal *auto-transformer * uses the same core size as a 1300 VA isolation type.

Makes the weight around 11kg plus box.

The stupid thing is the 110 volt rating - which suits neither the US or Japan.

And if they deliver only 100 volts or so ON LOAD - like the one I have ere - they are suitable for Japanese local market gear only.

The valve amplifier that came with that " dodgy step down " loses 40% of its normal output power when used this way.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Early CD players had sprung feet and a large ballast to damp vibrations. As electronics got better & tracking became more reliable the manufacturers did away with it.

I have an early Kenwood player here built that way. I wonder if it was a case of the high end auto manufacturers translating their experience with turntables into the new fangled CD players.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Cook

"Bruce Kook"

** Only a tiny few models had any such nonsense.
** Horse manure.

** Pure marketing hype.

..... Phil

Reply to