Dodgy IEC cables again

A mate of mine just bought a new battery charger - a Swallow AC/DC unit. It
came with an IEC lead that had a 2-pin plug going to a 2-core lead marked as
0.75mm to an IEC plug that had a hole in the earth position but no contacts.

While I'm guessing 0.75mm is probably OK for a standard ~1.8m lead (?), I
can't see how having an unconnected earth can be kosher - surely they should
have filled in the earth position so it couldn't be plugged into a device
that had an earth pin?

The Swallow is a very good charger, BTW.

Re: Dodgy IEC cables again

"Poxy"

**  Sounds quite illegal and potentially dangerous.

The two pin ( double insulated ) version of the IEC plug is not compatible
with 3 pin sockets.

Where was it purchased  ?

.......   Phil

Re: Dodgy IEC cables again

It
marked
device

He bought it in Perth, but pretty much every hobby shop in Oz sells the
unit. I'm guessing it'd be the same IEC lead in every box, but I haven't
checked.

This is the item on the distributor's site:
http://oos.modelengines.com.au/command/servlet/Command?command=display_item_pub&pkey=meng&f_id =[INVALID%20FORM%20VAR]&itemid=SJACDCSWALLOW

The EVIDENCE !!

"Poxy"

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BNIB-Swallow-2-AC-DC-Charger-Awesome-THE-ULTIMATE_W0QQitemZ330083095432QQihZ014QQcategoryZ84443QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

 I see it but I doan believe it ........

........   Phil

Re: The EVIDENCE !!

At least it's got the plastic insulation on the pins... :->

Dave :)

Re: The EVIDENCE !!

Reported to Ebay as illegal/dangerous. Unfortunately the reporting
scheme didn't allow me to include the descriptive text I wrote, sigh:

The power cord for the battery charger shown here is dangerous and illegal for
sale in Australia, as it does not have the mandatory earth pin on the 3-pin
socket. Although the device may be double insulated, this lead, because it's a
standard geometry, will eventually find its way to another device that *must*
have a proper earth connection. The seller risks a criminal conviction if any
such units are sold in Australia, and possible murder or manslaughter charges if
anyone dies as a result.

Clifford Heath.

Re: The EVIDENCE !!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BNIB-Swallow-2-AC-DC-Charger-Awesome-THE-ULTIMATE_W0QQitemZ330083095432QQihZ014QQcategoryZ84443QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I recognise the company that is responsible for AU conformity of that
product (and its not the ebay seller).  I will call them tomorrow morning
and see whether they know this is happening.  They should know better, but
it is possible they don't know its being imported like this (direct import,
grey market import or even counterfeit labelling). I'll post their comments.

Well spotted Phil.

Re: The EVIDENCE !!

"Dave"

**  The importer / wholesaler is  " Model Engines "  in Melbourne.

See page 4 of this pdf :

http://www.modelengines.com.au/libraries/resources/ME_News/NB%20August%202006%20web.pdf

The charger unit appears to have been type approved as required by law -
but is not labelled as class 2 or " double insulated"   -  hence it requires
a 3 core power lead.

That 2 core lead with 3 pin IEC plug has NOT been approved as is REQUIRED
not safe anywhere on earth.

.......  Phil

Re: The EVIDENCE !!

http://www.modelengines.com.au/libraries/resources/ME_News/NB%20August%202006%20web.pdf

Interesting tale behind it all... but the summary is MEA received the units
from the Chinese factory with these dud cords, but they replaced them (here
in Australia) before they sold any.  The ebay seller is not known to them,
and their policy is not to supply to on-line sellers.  I have also spoken
with the company acting as the compliance agent for MEA for this product and
they don't know anything about the ebay seller either.  So, my guess is the
ebay seller may have either got some that escaped the cord replacement
process, or is importing directly and passing them off (through
mis-labelling) as units imported by MEA. The Chinese factory making the
charger doesn't make the cordset and simply would have bought an "Australian
cord" from a Chinese cordset maker.  This cord would be cheaper than an
ordinary duty three core lead and was probably created by the cord maker as
a cost-down option.

I don't want to revisit the previous discussion, but this graphically
illustrates what I trying to say before. There are a great many factories in
China making products for which they have little understanding of the final
use - they just know how to make it, and that it will work/fit/operate if it
is the same as xxxx.  The greater understanding of how and why comes along
as the industry matures.

The NSW DFT has been informed and reviewed the pictures on the ebay website,
but won't do anything till a written complaint is made (which I have done).
Even then they can't act decisively since its a NSW approval for the charger
only (excluding the cord), the charger approval is held by a Victorian
company (so they have to refer it to the OCEI), the cord is being sold by
persons unknown, operating from location unknown and if it is being
delivered directly from overseas then there is little any regulator can do
anyway (the seller states it is AU delivery so they must have a location
here somewhere).

Wherever the seller is located is where the offence is being committed and
that State's regulator is the one who has to take action - so don't anyone
hold their breath waiting for anything to happen soon from that side of
things.  If anyone has purchased one of these chargers with a crook cord
please pass the sellers details to the regulator in the State where the
seller is located.  This will get the fastest response.  You will most
likely need to send the cord to them too, so don't throw it away yet.

Re: The EVIDENCE !!

http://www.modelengines.com.au/libraries/resources/ME_News/NB%20August%202006%20web.pdf
REQUIRED
units
(here

That's interesting - I raised this issue with the Swallow AC/DC charger
after seeing the cord that was supplied with one a friend had bought last
week while in Perth from a local hobby shop there. Perhaps that particular
shop is selling grey imports? I'll check with my friend which shop it was.
I'm also going to drop by a few local shops (who I know for a fact buy from
Model Engines) and have a look at what cables come with the units they're
stocking.

Re: The EVIDENCE !!

"Poxy"

**  Yep  -   have damn good look.

Never * believe *  heresay info from someone who REFUSES to say anything
about who he is.

......   Phil

Re: Dodgy IEC leads - still being supplied

units
(here

I just checked a local shop who took a new delivery of Swallow AC/DC
chargers from Model Engines just this week - they contain the dodgy leads -
I now know of people who have bought the charger from various local shops
across Australia, they were all almost certainly supplied by Model Engines
and they all have dodgy leads.

It sounds like Model Engines were telling you porkies, and it's particularly
galling that if they were indeed aware of the problem, and have been told
again by you, but are still supplying the potentially dangerous leads.

I've started talking to one local regulator, but what I want to see is a
recall - whoever is responsible for putting these leads in people's homes
should be responsible for removing them before they seriously injure or kill
someone.

Re: Dodgy IEC leads - still being supplied

"Poxy"
 "Dave"

 **  Nice work   -  Poxy.

Told you the anonymous, mysterious Dave was absolutely " full of it ".

.......   Phil

Re: Dodgy IEC leads - still being supplied

Please make it a written complain and give them the details of where and
when you bought it.  Also send a copy of the complaint to Model Engines
Australia. If they are still supplying these, and from what you say they
are, then any failure to act on their part is quite serious.

Re: Dodgy IEC leads - still being supplied

I've emailed and spoken to the local regulator a few times - he's planning
in the first instance to visit a couple of hobby shops who are selling the
unit and tell them not to sell the unit with the dodgy lead. That will
hopefully get the shop owners on the phone to Model Engines to do something
about the problem.

However, getting a recall done seems like it may take a long time, unless
Model Engines decides to do the right thing off their own bat.

What might help is if someone in Victoria informed the state regulator, as
they'd be in a better position to take it up with Model Engines, as I
understand they're based in Vic.

Re: Dodgy IEC leads - still being supplied

Finding a shop selling them in Vic would be even better as the State of the
complainant and the importer are then co-located.

Re: Dodgy IEC leads - still being supplied

"Dave"

** Approval for the  "Swallow 2" charger was registered (and done ? ) in
NSW.

It should not matter what state the importer is located as any problem found
by one state authority can be referred to the state authority of the
importer.

.......   Phil

Site Timeline