Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

Here is an interesting article that has picked up 485 reader responses already:

Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

The following post is by Sean Kaye, a senior Australian IT executive. It first
appeared on his personal blog, Sean on
IT, and is re-published here with his permission. Kaye also blogs at Startups
Down Under.

opinion As someone who is very pro-technology and likes to be on the cutting
edge, I find myself staring at many of my
colleagues and acquaintances in the industry with disbelief when the topic of
the National Broadband Network comes up.
People I know (and some who just email or tweet me) ask if Iíve bumped my head
and forgotten what I do for a living. It
even has had me re-thinking my views, but ultimately I keep coming to the same
place.

Hereís what I think Ö

First of all, $43 billion is a ridiculous sum of money to spend on anything. It
is even crazier when the country finds
itself coming off a $22 billion surplus and staring down the barrel of $100
billion of debt. I donít think this is at
all right now about need, but is entirely about our ability to cover the cost of
such a thing.

The full story and responses at the following URL:
http://delimiter.com.au/2010/08/10/do-we-even-need-a-fibre-national-broadband-network/#commenting

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://delimiter.com.au/2010/08/10/do-we-even-need-a-fibre-national-broadband-network/#commenting

Wireless LTE 100Mbps and up to 1Gbps coming out mid next year

LTE - Long Term Evolution
LTE does a min of 100Mbps and up to 1Gbps.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html

I do wonder if this NBN is a big mistake. And how much of Australia will
be covered. How come they are able to install this in smaller towns.
Cities all ready have fibre.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://delimiter.com.au/2010/08/10/do-we-even-need-a-fibre-national-broadband-network/#commenting
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html
The ideal thing is fibre distribution and copper or wirelss last mile
,it means very little additional construction need be done

--

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

already:

We have however spent that sort of money on other things like say hospitals.

surplus and staring down the barrel of

We could however spend part of what was raised by flogging off Telstra on the
NBN.

ability to cover the cost of such a

Its perfectly possible to pay for it using part of what was raised by flogging
off Telstra on the NBN.

Corse that may be better spent on other stuff like say hospitals etc.

http://delimiter.com.au/2010/08/10/do-we-even-need-a-fibre-national-broadband-network/#commenting

The significant difference is that it isnt shared with other users with FTTP.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html

More likely its not that big a mistake.

Thats already been specified.

Because its just a matter of running the fibre down the streets.

So do all the smaller towns, almost all the phone exchanges and RIMs etc are
connected by fibre now.

There isnt that much fibre directly to the individual houses tho.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html

Do you want to give a cite for that 1gig wireless connection?

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution
I think covers it.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html

Maybe you can see something that I can't, this is the highest speed that
I see there:-

Peak download rates of 326.4 Mbit/s for 4x4 antennas, and 172.8 Mbit/s
for 2x2 antennas (utilizing 20 MHz of spectrum).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_Advanced

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html
Peak data rate that you might get if you are standing under the antenna,
and nobody else is trying to use it. Unlikely to be seen in practice.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html

nobody else is trying to use it. Unlikely

We'll see...

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

I'm friends with the guy who ran the trial which made a world record
recently, 100Mbps over >70km, using Siemens Erikkson LTE equipment.
Want me to ask him what conditions are required for 1Gbps?

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

naah, Fist ask him how high he and the other end were?

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

That information wasn't made public.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

Go on then, remember that others have used unmodified wifi routers over
a distance of 125 miles, doesn't prove that its a practical disribution
system though. Come to that, I took part in a experiment that tracked a
20 watt transmitter from across the other side of the solar system
through the outer reaches of the sun and that was back in the 60s. That
did help prove something - parts of the theory of relativity.

None of this has anything to do with providing reliable high bandwidth
connections in an urban environment.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

Ok, I asked:

Under what conditions one might get 1Gbps over LTE equipment?

He responded:

Not in the near future.

The next iteration of LTE (LTE-Advanced) will allow a 5x increase in speed. The
max today is 150Mbps so 750Mbps is close to 1 Gbps. There is a possibility that
LTE can be pushed to 300Mbps so LTE-A will get 1.5 Gbps.

You need lots of spectrum for a full LTE-A implementation though

Clifford Heath.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

http://delimiter.com.au/2010/08/10/do-we-even-need-a-fibre-national-broadband-network/#commenting
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/191005/verizon_lte_blazing_trails_for_wireless_broadband.html

It's not a mistake. If Australia wants to stay in touch competitive in the
world and be more productive and develop smart technologies we need to spend
big to get decent infrastructure for the future and not waste money on
patchjobs like the Liberals are proposing which ultimately will cost a lot
more and will still find us struggling to be competitive on the global
market.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

liberal

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:34:37 +1000

His job category and position doesn't automatically make his assessment
correct other than in his own mind and in the minds of those who concur
with the point of view.

While the figure could be reduced through greater efficiency, sourcing
more practically and not paying those like the CEO of the NBN such
exorbitant sums of money, nonetheless it could have been argued by
the citizens or any section of the community that the money spent at the
time on the electrical network, the telecommunications network and the
transportation systems around the nation should have been spent on
something else and that Australia should do without them.

Fortunately for us, it did not work out that way. Imagine if it had, we
would be still sending letters to each other by horse or horse and
carriage, we would be doing things by candlelight and heaven knows
what else we would have to put up with. Progress is sometimes
financially costly, but the practical benefits and economic benefits can
be huge if properly enacted.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

already:

Yes, but we arent talking about whether to have any broadband at all,
we are talking about whether FTTP when we already have very decent
broadband available to most who want it.

That claim is completely silly. We arent discussing whether to have
broadband or not, we are discussing whether to have FTTP or not.

And that cant be claimed for FTTP. The most most residential
consumers might get from it is making downloading of DVDs
more viable than driving to the video rental store.

You can make a better case for FTTP for business, but it makes
absolutely no sense to be spending anything like $50B to provide
FTTP to 97% of residential houses when they mostly have very
decent broadband available if they want it.

Re: Do we even need a fibre National Broadband Network?

I nominate this use as the flying car of the computer world.
Backups will always max out the capacity of the system.

Site Timeline