Do Not Call register now working - Page 3

Re: Do Not Call register now working

The way I see it basically, is they can ring you if they currently do
business with you.

However, if you don't want their phone calls, you tell them. You get the
name of the person ringing, and the area/branch of the company they are
ringing from, and record the time and date.

You also tell them that if they don't cross you off their list, and
cease the phone calls, then you may consider taking your business
elsewhere.

You do this in a civil manner, and make sure they say they will cross
you off the list.

If you get further phone calls, get details again, and report them in
writing to their head office.

It appears under the threat of business cancellation, on the first phone
call, they do drop you from the list, but this is the plan I intend to
follow.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Do Not Call register now working

    Actually under the new regulations, companies have to be very
careful with telemarketing calls to their own customers. I found this
out after our discussion yesterday.
    Have a look at this document from the ACMA:
http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib310037/is124_dncr-consent_consumer_info.pdf
    The most relevant part is....

Withdrawing consent
If you are receiving telemarketing calls from a business with which you
have an existing relationship, and you do not wish to continue receiving
these calls, you should contact the business to request that it remove
you from its marketing list.
If you continue to receive telemarketing calls from the business after
you have withdrawn your consent, you can lodge a complaint by calling
the Do Not Call Register on 1300 792 958 or by visiting the registerís
website at www.donotcall.gov.au.

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib310037/is124_dncr-consent_consumer_info.pdf

Withdrawing consent!!
great work Bob, that's the bottom line.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib310037/is124_dncr-consent_consumer_info.pdf

    It was a relief to find that info on the ACMA website. Now all we
have to do is tell these parasites that we do *not* consent to receiving
their telemarketing calls, and if they do it again they're acting
outside the law and we'll lodge a complaint to ACMA.
    I'll let you know if I have any success...

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib310037/is124_dncr-consent_consumer_info.pdf

    Telstra responded positively to my e-mail requesting removal from
their telemarketing lists. They asked for a few identifying details and
said it would be acted on.
    Westpac replied and said they're following up my complaint/request.
They're the main offenders ... it'll be interesting to see what happens.
    In the meantime, I'll see if I can suggest to some of the current
affairs TV shows that they publicize the fact that people don't have to
put up with telemarketing calls from companies they're customers of.

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

    Update.... I just got this as part of a reply from Westpac:

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I refer to your concern raised with the bank regarding you receiving
calls from Westpac.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused
and thank you for taking the time to address your concerns with us.

I have tried to contact you on the telephone number provided without
success.

I have taken your name off our marketing lists.  However, some of our
lists are made up in advance and this may lead to you receiving further
calls over the next couple of weeks.  Again I sincerely apologise if
this should happen.

The ACMA's telephone Do Not Call Registry does not include banks or
charities."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Even the telemarketing banks don't seem to know that the ACMA rules
apply to them too. I might just phone this person and enlighten her.

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"Bob Parker"

** Hang on a mo  -  what the email says is basically correct.

Banks ( and many other similar businesses ) are not required to "wash"  the
telephone phone numbers of their  OWN  customers with the  DNCR  before
phoning them.

Westpac must however respect your  SPECIFIC  request for no more product
marketing calls.

Westpac can still phone you anytime they like about other matters relating
to your account/s with them.

.......  Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

    I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote that. You're entirely right
of  course.
    Anyhow, I had a talk to one of their people and everything's sorted
out now. He told me he was sick of telemarketing calls from Telstra and
I told him to e-mail them and request removal from their marketing list
like I did.

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

    I was wondering about the unidentified numbers which have been
triggering my calling number display without leaving a message on the
answering machine for the last few days.
    It was one of Westpac's contractors trying to sell me death insurance.
    I've just e-mailed Westpac again, telling them that next time I'll
take it to the ACMA, since they've already said I've been removed from
their telemarketing list. They don't give up easily, do they Don?

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Well Bob, even when you report these companies, the DNC Register sends you email
messages saying that they are giving companies time to adjust to the new
regulations.

I have made 4 reports now. How long do you give the DNC register before they
should start taking some real action?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: Do Not Call register now working

     Thanks for the info. If the DNC threat doesn't work, I might have
to follow your example and tell Westpac that I'll change banks.

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

**Yeah, me too. The DNC register is useless. Mind you: The number of
telemarketing calls to my 'phone has dropped dramatically. Complaints,
however, just elecit feeble excuses from the regulator.

Trevor Wilson

--

Re: Do Not Call register now working

What is the story with business numbers?
You can not list it in "do not call" register!

I just got an e-mail from them saying that only residential numbers are
allowed to be listed in "do not call" register.

Rudolf

Re: Do Not Call register now working

That is one hole in the system for small business operators.  If you
are running a business from home, about the only thing I can suggest
is listing your mobile number, rather than the home number as your
business number, and use the fixed line number as a home number (dont
list it anywhere as a business contact, and have the phone account in
your name).  This will at least make the bastard spam callers pay
mobile rates to call you, rather than cheap landline rates.

On the downside, paying mobile rates might discourage legit customers,
but you will have to balance this with the amount of time wasted each
day (and productivity loss) attending to spam calls.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

I also have my afx number listed.
I hope telemarketers have fun talking to my fax machine. I can hear it
ringing and picking up and nothing arrives.

Rudolf

Re: Do Not Call register now working

**I gave up my fax machine (and dedicated fax line) when I realised that
90% of my incoming faxes were junk faxes. Buggered if I will pay to
recieve junk mail (ink and paper). A fax machine is really not all that
important in business today.

Trevor Wilson

--

Re: Do Not Call register now working

A couple of suggestions -

1.    Set your fax to outgoing only if that is an option for you.
2.    Find out the numbers of the offending fax sender(s).  Send them a
message asking them to cease sending you faxes.
3.    If  (2 above) doesn't work send them a 50 page fax of black paper.  If
they have a bothway fax setup it sends them the message loud and clear (well
lots of black anyway) :P

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Do Not Call register now working

  Usually if you have a fax machine within a corporate environment, this isn't
an option.

  You're a toothless tiger with no teeth.  They have every legal right to send
you faxes, and you have no legal backing to stop them.

  Not going to work.  It's a fax modem that's designed to send only.  If it's
configured to go both ways, the most you can do it occupy a bit of hard drive
space, and umpteen pages isn't going to help, a few keystrokes on any half
decent fax gate software will ensure you don't get any more than a certain
amount before pulling the plug (as so not to hold up the line).

  Legal options will do nothing.  You need hired goons to give them a stern
talking to.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Correct in some cases.  I've worked in the corporate sector and some of the
machines were send only,  receive only or bothway (normal operation).  For
some people in smaller businesses, setting the machine to send only mode
isn't rocket science.

You'd be surprised how a simple polite request can get results.  Not
guaranteed to, but if you don't ask you you'll never know.
Also responding appropriately to a polite request is more likely to gain the
company kudoes rather than become the source of complaint.  The latter
unlikely to get your business and a lot on negative publicity.

Dell used to send me weekly fax specials.  I wasn't interested so I faxed
their fax back to 1800818341 and they stopped sending them. :-)
www.cartridgecentral.com.au offer a similar "stop sending us faxes" service
with an automated dial up number to call.

Sounds like you need to strike up an ongoing relationship with Philty
Allison.
He's into a bit of biffo and sending "the Marist old boys" around to sort
things out - LOL.

If you happen to have your fax machine within arms reach, check your CLD
everytime a fax call comes through.
If it reads "Private" or "Unavailable" just press the STOP button.  Works
for me. :-)

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Do Not Call register now working

  I've worked in both large and small scale corporates.  The larger scales can
go both ways depending (and there are a decent number of fax machines around
the building - and they vary depending on use.

  On small scale however, the only option was both ways.  It is a company fax
machine after all.

  I have a major problem with that, it's no fun.

  I REALLY don't think that a whine from a scammer/spammer etc is going to
earn anything they say credibility.
  And when you read that the telemarketers overseas are screaming for more
protection against verbal abuse from the suckers^H^H^Hcustomers they're
calling, the only good thing I can think of is that the laws that don't
protect us, also don't protect them.
  Looks like "we" have thicker skins than them.  We win.

  Same thing here.  We wondered why they started in the first place after we
made it abundantly clear we weren't happy with the first POS they sent us. (it
was the bosses idea, he thought it was a good deal, and by-passed the three or
four computer-heads in the office that knew anything).
  I think the thing that frustrated me more, was not that we were getting the
junk faxes, but that someone would faithfully move the damn things into the
fax "in" tray instead of screw them up and throw them out.

  I can't even tell if that's what he's trying to say.  He really doesn't make
sense most of the time.  In fact, in reiterating the 'do not call register'
rules, he appears to be on THEIR bloody side.

  When we can't send the 'boys around (those pesky laws stop us from doing
that anwyay), we have GREAT fun in putting the overseas telescammers on
speakerphone, and having fun with them.  We had one get so frustrated, he
started abusing us in his native language.  So we did the only thing we could
- we laughed harder.
  After I abruptly hung up one after giving her some lip, she called me back
(twice!) and said I couldn't talk to her like that.  I assumed she meant I
wasn't coarse enough, so I gave her even more lip.
  Seriously, if we're going to waste time talking to them, we may as well 'get
our monies worth'.  This really is a victimless sport, after all, the laws
that don't protect us, also don't protect them.

  A couple of points here.

  The CLD string is checkable via software, so you could "filter" out faxes at
this point if it's a fax modem.  Though I really don't think it's useful
whitelisting in a corporate environment, because you don't know where the next
fax is coming from.  Though it's still useful to partially filter obvious
things like missing CLDs, or "corrupt" entries that don't appear to be usable
numbers.

  The other point is that within Australia, they made it law (long time ago,
may have changed) for senders to provide a valid origin number within the CLD
field.  For missing entries, or obviously grunged entries, just chuck them out
- and it's quite safe and reliable to do so.

  All the valid faxes, and all the more "reputable" source junk faxes all had
valid CLDs.  Anything that didn't, was real junk.
  In my experience, there was very little "reputable" junk.

  However, I think the faxmarketers, and especially the scammers, are moving
away from faxes anyway.  Email is much cheaper and covers a wider audience.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Site Timeline