Do Not Call register now working

They called me a while back and once I explained that they are more expensive then my current insurer, they stopped on their own accord. Have not heard from them for a long time now.

As for the register -- I think it is working. I did not get a call in a few month now.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Actually under the new regulations, companies have to be very careful with telemarketing calls to their own customers. I found this out after our discussion yesterday. Have a look at this document from the ACMA:

The most relevant part is....

Withdrawing consent If you are receiving telemarketing calls from a business with which you have an existing relationship, and you do not wish to continue receiving these calls, you should contact the business to request that it remove you from its marketing list. If you continue to receive telemarketing calls from the business after you have withdrawn your consent, you can lodge a complaint by calling the Do Not Call Register on 1300 792 958 or by visiting the register?s website at

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I agree, ever since I have registered on this list I have received more Spam calls than ever..... Frustrating

Regards

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Withdrawing consent!! great work Bob, that's the bottom line.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

It doesnt seem to stop the indian "telephone/mobile plan" spam calls, but has slowed them.

Reply to
kreed

It was a relief to find that info on the ACMA website. Now all we have to do is tell these parasites that we do *not* consent to receiving their telemarketing calls, and if they do it again they're acting outside the law and we'll lodge a complaint to ACMA. I'll let you know if I have any success...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Telstra responded positively to my e-mail requesting removal from their telemarketing lists. They asked for a few identifying details and said it would be acted on. Westpac replied and said they're following up my complaint/request. They're the main offenders ... it'll be interesting to see what happens. In the meantime, I'll see if I can suggest to some of the current affairs TV shows that they publicize the fact that people don't have to put up with telemarketing calls from companies they're customers of.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

If the call starts "We'd like tothank you for being a Telstra customer......." Just say "thank you" and hang up.

Only took a few calls before the droids stopped, but I do not have MOB, which I understand they are spruiking atm.

Reply to
Terryc

Update.... I just got this as part of a reply from Westpac:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "I refer to your concern raised with the bank regarding you receiving calls from Westpac.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this matter has caused and thank you for taking the time to address your concerns with us.

I have tried to contact you on the telephone number provided without success.

I have taken your name off our marketing lists. However, some of our lists are made up in advance and this may lead to you receiving further calls over the next couple of weeks. Again I sincerely apologise if this should happen.

The ACMA's telephone Do Not Call Registry does not include banks or charities." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even the telemarketing banks don't seem to know that the ACMA rules apply to them too. I might just phone this person and enlighten her.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** Hang on a mo - what the email says is basically correct.

Banks ( and many other similar businesses ) are not required to "wash" the telephone phone numbers of their OWN customers with the DNCR before phoning them.

Westpac must however respect your SPECIFIC request for no more product marketing calls.

Westpac can still phone you anytime they like about other matters relating to your account/s with them.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I was in a bit of a hurry when I wrote that. You're entirely right of course. Anyhow, I had a talk to one of their people and everything's sorted out now. He told me he was sick of telemarketing calls from Telstra and I told him to e-mail them and request removal from their marketing list like I did.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I was wondering about the unidentified numbers which have been triggering my calling number display without leaving a message on the answering machine for the last few days. It was one of Westpac's contractors trying to sell me death insurance. I've just e-mailed Westpac again, telling them that next time I'll take it to the ACMA, since they've already said I've been removed from their telemarketing list. They don't give up easily, do they Don?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Well Bob, even when you report these companies, the DNC Register sends you email messages saying that they are giving companies time to adjust to the new regulations.

I have made 4 reports now. How long do you give the DNC register before they should start taking some real action?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks for the info. If the DNC threat doesn't work, I might have to follow your example and tell Westpac that I'll change banks.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

**Yeah, me too. The DNC register is useless. Mind you: The number of telemarketing calls to my 'phone has dropped dramatically. Complaints, however, just elecit feeble excuses from the regulator.

Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson

What is the story with business numbers? You can not list it in "do not call" register!

I just got an e-mail from them saying that only residential numbers are allowed to be listed in "do not call" register.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

I have had several calls in the last 2 weeks from Telstra - and its usually a different local "telstra shop" (including a local area phone number) rather than a telstra call centre? Also annoying is that they (unsolicited) also seem to happily quote all sorts of account details etc at you, I would think a reseller shouldnt have this info without your request in relation to trying to shaft you from CDMA to NextG. When I refer to the NextG as "those phones that have the really bad coverage compared to CDMA" They seem to get a bit put out by this, and they really must be pushing to sell this stuff.

Also I noticed on ACA today about the recording of customer conversations in telstra shops, and shipping the recordings off to the USA for evaluation. This was very disturbing, and Im starting to wonder what is the lowest limit of depths this company will go to.

The rubbish from the banks has been happening once more, and its never about anything useful - always rubbish like insurance etc. Responses like "Im more interested in converting to a fee free account" usually result in confusion.

Reply to
kreed

That is one hole in the system for small business operators. If you are running a business from home, about the only thing I can suggest is listing your mobile number, rather than the home number as your business number, and use the fixed line number as a home number (dont list it anywhere as a business contact, and have the phone account in your name). This will at least make the bastard spam callers pay mobile rates to call you, rather than cheap landline rates.

On the downside, paying mobile rates might discourage legit customers, but you will have to balance this with the amount of time wasted each day (and productivity loss) attending to spam calls.

Reply to
kreed

Things are going from bad to worse. On the positive side, I can tell everyone that after I asked Telstra to take me off their telemarketing lists, I haven't had a single telemarketing call from them. Now if only Westpac would do likewise ....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I also have my afx number listed. I hope telemarketers have fun talking to my fax machine. I can hear it ringing and picking up and nothing arrives.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf