Do Not Call register now working - Page 2

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"Two Bob"

**    ;-)

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

**  No problem there.

Because the overseas call centre is acting on behalf of an Australian
supplier of goods or services  -  that local supplier is then  LIABLE  for
heavy fines under the new legislation.

.....   Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Agreed, its a good start but it doesn't ban calls from charities,
surveys etc.
At very least it should provide people with a separate "do not call"
option to allow/disallow calls from charities.  Im sure it helps the
charity too, as people who have stated that they dont want their calls
in the first place, arent likely to donate anything therfore saving
the charity time and money in the call centres.
Its also totally wrong that home based business (or any businesses)
can't join the list. For them, telephone spam is an even worse
nuisance as "time is money" and as well as myself, I know many in
small business who are sick and tired of being interrupted several
times a day by a ringing phone and some piece of filth with private
caller id "wanting to speak to the owner/manager".

On the good side, it bans hiding caller ID;s.  This is a pet hate of
mine businesses using "private" number, and I always make sure they
cop abuse from me for doing that.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Well some one had better get on to Optus, because by default the
"sending number" is blocked. Many like me can't be bothered changing it,
primarily because I refuse to pay the monthly charge to be able to read
the CND on my incoming calls.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"kreed"

**  I just told you that.

** You can us a caller ID unit to avoid them..

   You can inform the charity NOT to call you again.

   You do not have to do any survey and can ask them NOT to call again.

   The new Industry Standard means you will know how to contact them back.

** No it is not.

The direct marketing of goods and services to businesses is part of normal
commerce  -  has been since phones were invented. The caller already knows
what sort of business it is and may well have supplied them with goods and
services before - or at least has good or services that the business may
well be interested in.

TOTALLY  different situation to * cold calling*  home phone numbers.

......   Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /
Great, registered my mothers phone with no problems & very quick.
Unfortunately, this service is only for private numbers. Business
numbers & FAX numbers cannot register.

I sent an email to their enquiry section regarding combined
business/private numbers.  Reply was as follows -

"Unfortunately this legislation does not cover business. However, if you
are not satisfied an alternative would be for you to approach your local
MP and lobby for a similar legislation to cover business."

So back to the drawing board.  IF enough people do lobby their local MP,
something may occur. IF no one does any lobbying, stuff all will be done.

Regards,

alc.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"alc"

** From the link: https://www.donotcall.gov.au /

Which numbers can I list on the Do Not Call Register?
You can list your Australian fixed line and mobile numbers on the Do Not
Call Register, provided the numbers are used primarily for private or
domestic purposes.

......   Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

So what's to stop you listing a business number anyway, are they going to
prove it is NOT primarily for domestic purposes?
Somehow I doubt they would check any number, you would simply have no legal
recourse IF someone still calls.

MrT.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"Mr.T"

** A wired phone would have to be installed in a dwelling  -  at very least.

    Mobiles owned by " tycoons " could be a debatable issue ....

**  Which they very likely would  -   if that number were listed in the
Yellow Pages, on a web site or in advertising.

.......   Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

least.

WHO "very likely would"? Who the hell do you think is going to be paid to
check anything and why?
(assuming anyone could even agree on a clear cut definition of "primarily
used for domestic purposes".)

Fact is that a home phone "primarily used for domestic purposes" can still
be listed in the YP as a part time business, or any other advertising for
that matter.

Now *IF* the wording was "SOLELY used for domestic purposes" it may be
easier to automate an exclusion, but it isn't.

MrT.

Mr. TURD Strikes Out

"Mr.TURD"

**  Piss off -   turd brain.

......  Phil

Re: Mr. TURD Strikes Out

Mr T. = 1;  Phil = 0

Easy to see why Phil lost that round.  He lost the plot as well.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

As far as Telstra goes, the residential/business classification of phone
numbers is quite explicit, so it's trivial for them to identify and exclude
business numbers.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"Poxy the Fuckwit " < snipped-for-privacy@poxymail.com

**  Telstra have  SFA  to do with the Do Not Call register.

......    Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

exclude

Even assuming Telstra had any interest at all, which it doesn't, the
"primarily for domestic use" clause is still a problem with home based
businesses.

MrT.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

    I dunno how everyone else is going, but my experience is that
companies like Telstra & banks etc seem to have the attitude that now
that they alone are allowed to call people, they can do as much
high-pressure telemarketing of products to their existing customers as
they like.
    The only difference is that their calling numbers aren't blocked.
I'm getting really sick of them.

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

I had this trouble with Westpac Bob,
Trying to sell me insurance, as I have accounts with them.
Were ringing every second week.

I told them if they keep ringing me, I will close my accounts, and I
meant it.

They then told me that they have crossed me off their list, and I won't
be called again. Haven't heard from them since.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Do Not Call register now working

    Funny you should say that, Don! I just got off the phone from
Westpac trying to sell me insurance too. That was what prompted my post.
I've just e-mailed them and Telstra telling them to take me off all
their phone & e-mail telemarketing lists.

Cheers
Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

They called me a while back and once I explained that they are more
expensive then my current insurer, they stopped on their own accord. Have
not heard from them for a long time now.

As for the register -- I think it is working. I did not get a call in a few
month now.

Rudolf

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Ditto.

MrT.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

I got the Westpac Life insurance phone call about 6 months ago and I wasn't
rude about it, I just kept asking questions about different premiums vs.
coverage and "what if" scenarios before i told her I wasn't interested, they
haven't called back. I think the clincher was asking lots of questions about
the cooling off period for suicide. I was home by myself that evening and
was doing little else, and the way I see it i did someone else a good deed
by limiting the number of calls she made that night :)

James