Do Not Call register now working

**  Hi to all my fans ....

Bet you have ALL  been waiting for this for years !!!!

The Australian Government  "Do Not Call" register is finally set up.

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

You can register up to 3 private numbers, home or mobile, on line.

Unfortunately it won't stop 100% of those annoying calls  -  but will likely
stop most of the telephone spammers.

A new Industry Standard requires callers ( in the excluded categories) to
identify themselves and NOT use numbers that are blocked to Caller ID.

See:

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD//pc=PC_100642

.......   Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

Was slow yesterday, took me an hour to register.
Site was overloaded a couple of times, and actually displayed an
appropriate notice.

Is going to be popular for a while. :-)
Yes, I know about the negatives, a pity they couldn't be a lot tougher.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call/

    I went through the registration process yesterday after multiple
attempts to connect to the site, only to get an error message when I
sent my details. All the symptoms of an overloaded server. Did it again
late last night with no problems.
    I agree - I don't want *any* unsolicited phone calls either. We pay
for our phone (and internet) services to get messages from people we
know and want to hear from, not spammers of every kind. Doesn't work out
in practise, does it? :-(

Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

It would have been a better idea to set up a 'Do Call' register.
I'm sure there would have not been any chance of server overloading then ...

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

     It wouldn't matter even if it didn't exist ... no-one would use it!

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Nice bit of confusing English in the last line Bob

David - just having a friendly shot at Bob

Re: Do Not Call register now working

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

I think that kind of policy is called "anti-business" - a no-no for any
political party.

Note that this does not stop calls from charities & political parties, which
annoys me immensly, as the current reality is that if you donate to a
charity and provide details, it's highly likely they'll then sell your
details to other charities, having been identified as a "payer",
guaranteeing more unsolicited calls from other charities, which in turn
makes me adverse to making charitable donations, which makes for a very dumb
outcome.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"Poxy"

** But they must not use a phone number that is blocked to Caller ID.

Haven't you got a display unit  ?

You can soon work out what an organisation's number is and ignore it.

.......    Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

 From the ABC News website:

Do Not Call Register attracts 150 people a minute

More than 250,000 people have already signed up to the Government's Do
Not Call Register since it opened yesterday.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority says about 150 people
are registering online every minute.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Some small business spam calls always come from the same phone number,
its then easy to add it to your mobile phone contact list as "spam-
phone plan" etc and assign it a different ring so you know from the
ring not to bother to answer it.  The most quiet ring sound that you
can find in the phone is good for this !

However there was a call centre last year that was ringing us all the
time selling phone plans and actually showed a caller ID each time !.

According to greypages (when it still worked) the calls originated
from the Sunshine Coast in QLD (no address or subsciber details were
available though).  Trouble was, each time they called, the last 3
digits of the number were different (logically as each phone in the
call centre would be on a different line and have a different actual
phone number associated with it - or a different outside line would be
used each time due to how their internal exchange system operates).

Its a lot more difficult to block a range of numbers than a single
number.  Its also difficult to remember a lot of these numbers to know
not to answer too.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"kreed"
 "Phil Allison"

**  The context is  "charities and political parties, "  -  ie the exempt
categories.

** They will be forced to stop calling any number on the Do Not Call
register by the end of this month.

........   Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

I've got Caller ID, but pretty much all telemarketing calls come up as
"Private Number", which I can't really ignore, as a lot of government
departments also block their number.

My trick is listening for the second or two delay between my answering the
phone and the computer patching the call through to an available call centre
person - generally I've hung up before they pick up the line. The other
gveaway is the noise of the call centre in the background - I just hang up
as soon as I hear this.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

You'd think someone would take home a message from the fact
that a service that was set up to allow only a million
registrations received half of that on the first *day*...

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"Clifford Heath"

** Where did you get the " million " figure from  ????

The Aust Govt on-line register is taking about 200,000  PEOPLE per day at
present ( ie 150 per minute averaged over 24 hours )  Each person can
register up to THREE  phone numbers.

Similar resisters exist in the USA where around 50% of all domestic phones
are now listed  -  it is claimed to be easily the most popular new law with
the public.

So the other 50 % of phone owner don't mind the spammers ??

Wrong  !!

The other 50% are made up of unlisted numbers and new numbers that the
spammers have not got hold of yet.

But be grateful you are not in America  -  cos it is still legal to spam
mobile phones in many US states.

In America  (and most of the world ) the owner of a mobile phone  PAYS  for
all calls received !!

So YOU pay for the spammer to call YOU !!

.......   Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

    Exactly the same as e-mail spam.

Re: Do Not Call register now working

"Bob Parker"

** Wot  - every email you get costs you 35 cents does it ?

   Hardly.

.......  Phil

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Can't remember if it was the Age or 3LO radio news
that said this was the expected uptake (that had
presumably been used for scaling decisions in the
web infrastructure). It was obviously wrong anyhow :-)

Re: Do Not Call register now working

You already do if you have your home/business number set to divert to
your mobile. Tell us something that we don't already know each time the
bill arrives.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

Re: Do Not Call register now working

Thanks for that Phil, much appreciated.
Let's give 'em curry. Oops! thay probably already have enough of
that :-)

Re: Do Not Call register now working

LOL

http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/telephone_services/do_not_call /

Easily beaten by the major companies. Just form a company in India and spam
from there. When they try to fine them, they say it was an overseas company
who called. Fat chance of getting them.