Do Not Call Register, a response!

And here is the response I just got back:
email and person's name munged.

Don...

Dear Mr McKenzie,

Thank you for your complaint regarding the call you received from
Etelecom after you registered your telephone number on the Do Not Call
Register.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) will write to
the business concerned, advising that the complaint has been received
and informing it of its legal obligations under the Do Not Call Register
Act 2006 and the Telecommunications (Do Not Call Register)
(Telemarketing and Research Calls) Industry Standard.

The Do Not Call Register legislative requirements are new, and industry
may need some time to fully understand their obligations. ACMA will
clarify the legal requirements at the highest level of the business
concerned, and inform the business that penalties may apply if ACMA
receives further complaints and finds that a breach of the requirements
has occurred.

While ACMA will not take any further action at this time, if you receive
further calls from this business which you believe to be telemarketing
calls, or if you require any clarification of the above, please contact
ACMA by email on xxxx at cma.gov.au.

Yours sincerely

Jxxxx Rxxxxxxxxx
Telemarketing Investigations Section
Australian Communications and Media Authority

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Do Not Call Register, a response!

  <acma mail snip>

  Oh goodie.  Now we have an outfit that sends a kind letter to remind people
of their legal obligations.

  What if it were like this for speeding tickets?  "Dear sir, you have been
clocked at 15Km over the speed limit at location xxx.  We wish to kindly
remind you of your legal obligation to remain within the stated speed limit.
If you ignore this letter, we will be forced to send you yet another letter..."

   How much did this monstrosity cost?  And who had the hair-brained idea that
it was going to work?  Or if it was never going to work, who had the
hair-brained idea that people would be fooled into thinking that they actually
DID anything?

  It's times like these I'm glad a pessimistic cynic.  I'm never surprised and
never disappointed.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Do Not Call Register, a response!

My son, always a wag, told me that he had a telephone call in the middle of
dinner the other night. According to him, the caller (with a thick Indian
accent) said "Good evening. I'm from the Do Not Call Register and am
enquiring whether you are satisfied with our service"...

Re: Do Not Call Register, a response!

  I love it!  I don't believe it, but had a good laugh anyway. :-)
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Do Not Call Register, a response!

No, I didn't believe it either but I got a good laugh at the concept.

"Don McKenzie" wrote :-

And here is the response I just got back:
email and person's name munged.

Don...

Dear Mr McKenzie,

Thank you for your complaint regarding the call you received from
Etelecom after you registered your telephone number on the Do Not Call
Register.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) will write to
the business concerned, -----

***** Don,you are indeed blessed,all I got back was a letter from the
Privacy Commissioner saying it was absolutely nothing to do with him and
that I should contact the ACMA!
What I don't understand is how did the Privacy Comminisioner got involved
when all I did was click on the appropriate part of the Do Not Call Register
homepage to report an Australian company who was telephone spamming.

Brian g

Re: Do Not Call Register, a response!

exactly what I did Brian, so you may be correct. :-)

I liked Brian's analogy to a speeding ticket also.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie