do not call register

well I got my first telemarketing phone call since this came into
effect, and have complained, so it will be interesting to see what
happens now.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: do not call register

    Please let us know what happens.
    Pardon my iggerance, but if the telespammer blocks their caller ID
as they always do, how can you positively identify them to the ACMA?

Cheers
Bob

Re: do not call register

For the purpose of this exercise, Company name given was "ETELECO" and
the caller name given was "Jack Anderson".

Was the most polite I have been to one of these characters in years, as
I attempted to get more details, but all I managed to understand was
that he represented an Australian company.

Indian accent of course. He had to phonetically spell the company name
before I understood that. Had a laugh when he couldn't think of a word
for "L" :-) I didn't bother getting him to do the same with his name.

I Reported the complaint via the web page.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: do not call register

"Don McKenzie"

** There is no "Eteleco" registered as a business or company name in
Australia.

 Your complaint is pointless as there is no-one to take the matter up with.

 What was the guy selling ??

.......  Phil

Re: do not call register

"Don McKenzie"

** Sure it was not this mob from Brisbane ?

http://www.etelecom.com.au/about /

Etelecom  ??

......   Phil

Re: do not call register

missing an "M' on the end hey?
that will no doubt be it Phil.

His communication skills were that bad, he hung up on me by the time I
dragged his name and company out of him.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: do not call register

"Don McKenzie"

** Shame it is not even a company  -  just a business name.

The web site is misleading on this.

A company called  " E-Telecom " was liquidated and deregistered  in 2004.

Might be connected.

See ASIC database:

http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c

......  Phil

Re: do not call register

Ta Phil.

I see this could be very tricky.

Number      Status  Name

ACN 095 509 765 DRGD     E-TELECOM PTY LIMITED
QLD BN19661368     REGD     ETELECOM
VIC B1557237J     RMVD     ADVANCE E TELECOM
VIC B1557234C     RMVD     ADVANCE E TELECOM SOLUTIONS

To do a real job on it, I'll need the correct registered business name,
and with no caller ID for additional proof, I'll have to get the full
details from the caller, and they will end up hanging up on me, as they
will know why these questions are being asked.

I wonder if I will have the patience to do this, or if I'll simply
revert to telling them what I think of telemarketers, (insert your own
wording here), before hanging up. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: do not call register

"Don McKenzie"

 > Ta Phil.

**  All removed or deregistered  -  except for "etelecom" in Brissie.

** They can always deny the call happened or say it was the result of a
miss-dial.

The authority will have to look at the actual number of complaints to decide
to take any action.

Phone records for the company can be subpoenaed if need be.

.......   Phil

Re: do not call register

hmmmm....

The point really being if you get calls, you report them, and the sheer
weight of numbers should do the trick.

And harass them back by asking all of the appropriate questions.
I guess we will end up with "The definitive list of questions to be
asked of Telemarketers". :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: do not call register

There's always the counter-script. I used it a few times and got a fair way
through it before they hung up.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

Re: do not call register

"Don McKenzie"

**  Probably nothing  -  allowances wil be made for mistakes and anyone who
was unaware of the new laws for a while.

My phone has gone very quiet since June 1.

Prior to then,  the majority of calls received were telemarketing with no
caller ID -   as many as 12 in one day.

......   Phil

Re: do not call register

     Struth! My record was about 10 in one day (typically about 6) and I
thought that was way past a joke.

Bob

Re: do not call register

I had a call  too and I informed them about my number was listed.
The lady told me that "survey" calls are not "telemarketing" and are
allowed.
Any thoughts? I think they all are "unwelcome" ones. Including ones asking
for donations.

Rudolf

Re: do not call register

Unfortunately they are right. I simply ask how much they are paying for my
time, no takers so far :-)

MrT.

Re: do not call register

**I've taken part in two surveys, so far, where I've been paid ($40.00) for
my time. These were 'phone surveys. When asked if I am prepared to take
part, I ask if I am to be paid. If not, I don't take part. If we all adopt
such an approach, they may eventually learn.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: do not call register

aah, that is your mistake, I just tell them that "I'll go and get him"
and suffer from a senior moment.

Re: do not call register

  The do not call register applies to all Australian telemarketing firms with
the exception of religeous, charity, market researchers or political callers.
  And of course, overseas telemarketers, which don't have to apply to local
rulings.

  It has been reported they represent 70% of the telemarketing calls.  (I've
seen this at the SMH but can't find it now)

  That means, at an ideal, your spam calls should be cut by up to 30%.

  One way to help reduce calls (long term) is a suggestion I've seen posted
somewhere on usenet some time back.  As per usual, I'm not a lawer, so don't
know how on the ball the comments are.

  With the voice callers:
  -You can't win legally.  The rules are stacked against you.  So don't try.
  -Abuse them.
  -No really, abuse them, such that would make a sailor cry.
  -Legally, they can't touch you, it isn't libel, since it's a private call
and no-one hears it except the two of you. (except of course the tape
recording which isn't legally admissable because you weren't made aware of it
at the start of the conversation. In this country anyway).
  -If you're not comfortable with cussing, have fun with them.  There's a few
suggestions on the 'net on what games to play with telemarketing calls, all
with relatively clean language.

  At work, the boss puts the phone on speakerphone and calls us all in his
office.  Within several minutes, we have the caller curse us in their native
language.  With all of use laughing in the background of course...

  I had a telemarketer call be back twice after the inital call, telling me I
couldn't abuse her like that.  So I abused her some more.  And some more after
that.  She was a good sport.  Too bad I hadn't heard back from her since.

  For the automated calls, they automagically dial a number, wait for a verbal
response, and play back the sales drivel usually involving a 1900 number.  I
don't know how you can have any legal legs on these types of calls, because
the 1900 number owner might not be the one making the calls.
  Best you can hope for on these is that you cost them up to 25c to make the
call.

  The do not call register is a tiger with no teeth.  It's pointless.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: do not call register

"John Tserkezis = IDIOT "

** Only overseas telemarketers who are  * NOT *  acting on behalf of an
Australian based business or company.

    Darn few of them.

**  BOLLOCKS  !!

Almost  NO  telemarketers act on behalf of foreign businesses with no Aussie
connection that you will have to deal with.

** So  COMPLETELY  out of date with the NEW laws in Australia.

**  BOLLOCKS.

**  Very BAD idea.

Your phone number will likely go on every survey and charity call list on
the planet for that.

YOU are a  ASININE  CRIMINAL  ASS     -   Tserkezis

 Fuck  the hell  OFF  !!!!!!!!!!!!

........  Phil

Re: do not call register

  Duh, ten minutes with google will tell you that.

  Too bad there have been reported calls AFTER the call register started with
overseas telemarketers acting for local companies.

  How many overseas telemarketers have been hit by this local law?  For that
matter, how many LOCAL telemarketers?  What's that?  About none?  Thought so.

  Bollocks yourself.   "Almost" means absolute bullshit when you're getting
overseas calls, for overseas companies (phone cost discounts, long distance of
course) on a regular basis.

  Yes, and the new laws are "So COMPLETELY" effective aren't they?

  Again, bollocks yourself.  As Fairfax has reported (and I'm still trying to
find the source, dammit), 70% of the telemarketing callers are part of the
exempted list.  You have NO chance of stopping them.

  The great fun factor more than makes up for it.

  It will, but not for that reason.  It will because that's just the way
things are.

  But, we have only ourselves to blame.  It's increasing in popularity (with
the marketers), because it works.  If it didn't work, they wouldn't be doing
it.  So, take every person who ever bought any crap from a cold call
telemarketer, and verbally abuse them silly.   It probably won't fix the
problem, because they're too stupid, but it'll probably make you feel better.

  Is that your native language?

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org