Do all wireless modems need a sim?

Do all modems for wireless NextG internet need a sim card?

If so can you copy a sim card you already have and use that?

What I wish to do is to be able to connect to the net wirelessly while I am out and about.- ie have a portable WiFi system)

I have an account with BP but the modem is a bit big to carry around so want to use a different modem while I am away from home, but on the same account (no way I could afford two accounts)

But I really do not want to have take the sim card out of my home modem each time I go out - hence the need for a second sim, unless I can find a modem (with WiFi) that doesn't need a sim

Any ideas most welcome

David

PS: I know you can buy portable WiFi units in the US, but enquiries so far suggest they will not work in Oz

Reply to
David

Any wireless modem that connects to a cellular network will need one. I've not seen any method of copying SIM cards to date..

There are routers that accept wireless modems through their USB port. Perhaps you could buy >

Virus Database (VPS): 090923-0, 23/09/2009
Tested on: 24/09/2009 4:57:43 PM
Ross

Yes.

It can be done, but it complicated. AFAIK, only the crims are doing it, because they can justify the cost, trouble, and security (anonymity) for them at least.

All the NextG dongles I've seen area about the size of a USB flash drive. I obviously haven't taken note on how things were done in the past...

May be worth looking into swapping your old NextG modem with a newer style jobbie. See if that's doable.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Yes they have in the US but I am advised they would not work here. Also, it seems that those USB NextG dongles do need a sim card, and I would prefer not to have to take the one out of my router/modem every time I go out.

But thanks for the reply

David

Reply to
David

Well I could but as they do not provide WiFi are no good to me

But thanks for your reply

David

Reply to
David

Not quite the answer you're looking for, but have you considered a second USB dongle to take care of WiFi? Prices vary from $20-$100 or so depending on speed/features and such.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to
John Tserkezis

Maybe you can get an extra sim for the same account from the phone company ? They might be able to help ?

Reply to
KR

But those USB dongles don't provide WiFi - at least none of those sold by BP - but if you know of one will work on NextG and provides WiFi that is just what I want - unless it needs a sim card and I am not able to copy my current sim card

But thanks

David

Reply to
David

I will try again - I did ask about that at a Tesltra shop and they said no - but of course....

And I will still need to find a router thing for the dongel to plug into

David

Reply to
David

No, you don't understand. Have TWO dongles. One being the BP wireless one, and the other the WiFi dongle.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to
John Tserkezis

HI John

I think I haven't given you enough info - what I want to do is have a portable WiFi 'station' that will provide a WiFi signal to my iPhone so I don't use the very expensive Telstra data pack, but can use all the features of my iPhone.

I have tried it out with my BP HomeGateway running on 12v in the car, and it works fine.

But to save carting that around I was thinking of getting one of those netbooks (or a small router if i can find one that works here) and plugging in one of those USB modems to pick up the NextG signal - using my current 5gig/month BP account.

But the ones sold by BP need a sim card, and I dont want to have to keep changing my sim card from the BP Gateway to the USB dongle modem.

So, I was looking for a modem that either didn't need a sim card or a way of making a duplicate of my present sim card so the USB modem could use that.

But thanks for your replies

David - who still thinks there should be a way of having the iPhone access my BP account directly, but no-one seems to know how to do this

Reply to
David