diy high altitude balloon project in australia

hi, does anyone know where i can get  info on sending up a  high altitude
ballon , with camera , gps etc.... in australia ? i need info about  the
weight , dimensions  etc....
any help be much appreciated.

thanks,
mark krawczuk

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

and legalities...
I'd suggest your local model rocket club/associsation would be a good place
to start.

Dave.

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

hi, hmmm    theres no  model  rocket/club  around here for about 300 plus
km`s !!!

mark k

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:25:33 +0930, "mark krawczuk"
300 plus

Hi Mark,
Where do you live? I've an interest in doing the same. Sydney's not a
great place from a free air-space perspective though :)

Terry

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

hi, i live in renmark ,  south australia ,  " perfect weather one day ,
beautiful  the next ....."

mark k

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

Go for a tour of a BOM weather station at an airport or country centre where
they launch weather balloons / sondes. You'll get some good ideas there.
Google Vaisala sondes and see if you can get the specs on weight size etc.

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

High altitude glider project
http://members.shaw.ca/sonde/index.htm

dmm

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

Hi,
here are some basic equations to help.

density of air (nitrogen) = 1.18221 kg/m^3
density of helium = 0.178 kg/m^3
balloon lifting capacity = 4/3 * pi * r^3*(density air - density
helium)-mass of balloon. where r is the ballon diameter

Also PV=nRT , so as the balloon rises it's diameter will increase, so don't
fully fill a balloon.

As the balloon rises the air density decreases, so if there isn't enough
initial lift in the ballon it will reach an equilibrium height rather than
the balloon limit.

Hope that's a start, recommend a trip to the library for a physics book or
two

have a look here too
http://moo.pl/~tygrys/balloon /
http://www.natrium42.com/halo/flight2 /
and many others

Good luck

Greg

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

Hi again,
of course you want the ballon to burst at some point so it returns to earth.
It's a matter of knowing the burst diameter of the balloon and then working
out at what height that will occur.

Density of air as a function of height can be calculated, have a look here

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html and
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/density_altitude.htm and
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/explain/thermal/hydrostatic.html and
http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/lift.html and
http://www.solartran.com.au/balloon_engine.htm what a wierd idea that one

Cheers
Greg

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

Oh no,no,no, You want something a bit better controlled then that. you
really need gas release at a certain height, with auto parachute
deployment, plus emergency release, such as you suddenly discover that
your previous payload is making for Antartica.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

Troll the web. I remember there is at least one page out there. Not very
common in Australia, partly as we have highly controlled airspace.

Caveat; at high altitude, your lifting gas expands greatly, which is why
the high altitude weather kit is like it is.

Well,
i know someone locally is still at the orange garbage bag hot air ballon
stage of developing their own high altitude(?) balloon.  They have found
that night times are the best time for maximum height(and best local
newspaer coverage of "Flying Saucer Scare" {:-).

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

When I was 15 I sent up a hot air balloon that was reported in the local
paper as a UFO. I used one of those bags the dry cleaners put over your
clothes when they've been cleaned.

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

It is/was a common brussel sprout activity at one stage. The local person
is obviously using orange garbage bags.

These are very easy to make, You just make a loop of light wire to hold
the bag open and tape bag mouth around it. Support cotton wool ball in
middle on two thin wire cross arms. Preheat air with metho stove or
similar(do this for longer flight), then when it is lifting, light metho
soaked cotton wool ball and let it lift off.

Works great with no crosswinds and on coldish nights.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

--
Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Re: diy high altitude balloon project in australia

Bingo!

Site Timeline