Display Screens With 4 Colours

I've been wanting to mention this for awhile now.

It seems that there is going to be some changes taking place in our displays, whether computer monitors or TV's. Currently, all displays are 3 colors, red, blue, green. In the very near future, they will be red, blue, green and black/white (same pixel).

When you turn down (all the way) red, blue and green, you get dark red, dark blue and dark green, not black. If the colors are turned up all the way, you get bright colors, but not white. Introducing a 4th pixel that can be true black when turned all the way on or, white (transparent- no color) when turned off, adds additional contrast while reducing power requirements for brightness. This new technology does not require different recording formats or broadcasting, it's strictly internal to the display. How the signal is used for 4 colors instead of 3.

The new displays will start out as computer monitors (predominately LCD based), but eventually will be manufactured for entertainment (TV's- CRT and Plasma). If I recall properly, Samsung is going to be the first to produce these devices.

This technological change over isn't decades away, it's going to start in less than a year. I predict, we'll be seeing the new TV's for entertainment in 3 years or less

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

Certainly would help with gaming and action videos, to be able to control the contrast pretty much per pixel. Much more depth of colour.

-mark

Reply to
jb

"Kissing Lettuce"

** What - since April 1st ???

** An equal mix of R,G and B pixels always produces white - you fool.
** Only an LCD can produce black (ie reduced light ) with increased drive.
** CRTs cannot produce black - the three colour dots ( or rectangles ) are surrounded by black already.
** What asinine press release are you paraphrasing and mis-quoting from ??

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

RGB (red, green, blue) displays I mean have been, and will continue to be the preferred display option for many, many years to come.....

Actually Phil I'm having second thoughts now after posting the article I copied.... I will have to wander back to where I found it and ask if the original poster is playing a prank...

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

I remember reading about this in some engineering rag recently. I beleive that TI(iirc) is already using this technology in their DLP's for projectors. Samsung also use this technology from memory in LCD's.

In saying this, i also remember that the RGBW technology is mainly reserved for things like hi res PDA's screens etc, where the pixel density is high and the light output is low due the small size of the pixels. I cant see this having any real use in larger screens such as tv's.

Reply to
The Real Andy

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:37:19 +0930, Kissing Lettuce put finger to keyboard and composed:

No prank. Five minutes with Google produced these hits:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar