Dirty Electricity

explaining what PF is to someone who damn well ought to

Or the other way round.

load presented by modern CFLs.

Really ? Then perhaps you could actually quote something from the link that contradicts me ?

power' ?

It is used in some circles to describe the effect harmonic currents have on PF. Like the link which I am waiting for a quote that contradicts me.

Make it relevant to "** CFLs have NO no reactive power component"

definition.

power factor."

the product of rms voltage and rms current."

Yeah, so why do you bring it up ? I didn't.

But there are plenty of 'reactive power' mentions, remember what you said ; "** CFLs have NO no reactive power component." Now, getting back to the point, CFLs MUST have a reactive power component because real power is less than VA.

The instantaneous phase angle MUST be different or the PF would be unity.

Perhaps you don't know anything about calculus - when you deal with complex waveforms you need to use higher mathematics -you calculate the instantaneous values and sum them.

It requires the current wave to have a different shape to the voltage wave. It doesn't matter if it is a phase difference or an envelope difference or both

- the PF will not be unity unless the voltage and current are in phase and have the same envelope.

Reply to
fritz

The nation must be dying out at that rate, but it is more accurate.

tal

=A0-

That is the only way I can think of that they would come up with that figure.

True. Very true. I wish they would make the "ultimate sacrifice for the planet" and leave the rest of us alone.

The brain dead things I hear about electricity on other forums with non-technical people astound me, and they refuse to listen to fact.

Reply to
kreed

"alternative engineering that are not currently taught in the accepted universities. "

Oh no! They aren't letting on about those secret orgones are they! There goes all the free energy :)

Our aims are to protect

Reply to
Swanny

"fritz"

** Small point - but if the above is literally true, the device is dangerous.

PF correction capacitors fitted to the incoming AC supply ( no matter which side of the demarcation line) need to have a means of discharging the cap if the supply becomes disconnected.

Usually, bleed resistors are fitted across the cap bank to discharge it to a safe value in second or so at most. Means the box should dissipate about 5 to 10 watts continuously per phase or circuit.

Another issue is the large spike of current any bank of caps will draw when switched onto the AC supply ( most times ) needs to be kept down to a value that will not immediately trip a domestic breaker - even with a other loads connected.

Probably means using no more than 30 to 40uF = enough to PF correct one decent size fridge.

BTW:

WES will sell you a 40uF, mains rated polyprop cap for $12.50.

A nice metal box will cost more.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Today I got a response for my complaint to the ACCC, not bad after 1 week. It goes like this:

(if you don't want to read through all of this, the essence is that my complaint has been recorded and the details of my complaint will be used in the context of the ACCC?s ongoing monitoring to determine whether there is a pattern of behaviour by Earthwise PowerSaver or a pattern within their industry that may raise broader concerns)

Tony

/*--------------------------- "Thank you for your email of 4 February 2011 to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) regarding Earthwise PowerSaver.

The ACCC is responsible for administering the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 which incorporates the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) in Schedule 2 of that Act. The ACL is a single national law which aims to protect consumers and ensure fair trading in Australia. Under the ACL, consumers have the same protections, and businesses have the same obligations and responsibilities across Australia.

The ACL provides a range of provisions that protect consumers when they purchase goods or services. Under section 29 of the ACL a person must not, in trade or commerce, make false or misleading representations in connection with the supply or possible supply of goods or services or in connection with the promotion by any means of the supply or use of goods or services. This includes misrepresentations concerning representations that goods or services have sponsorship, approval, performance characteristics, accessories, uses or benefits. Additionally section 18 of the ACL prohibits a person, in trade or commerce, engaging in conduct which is misleading or deceptive, or which is likely to mislead or deceive.

As the conduct you have described may raise concerns under this provision the details of your matter have been recorded in the ACCC?s national database.

It should be noted that the ACCC cannot pursue all the complaints it receives. While all complaints are carefully considered, the ACCC must exercise its discretion to direct resources to the investigation and resolution of matters that provide the greatest overall benefit for consumers and businesses. The ACCC?s Compliance and Enforcement policy describes in more detail how this discretion is exercised. This policy, which is available on the ACCC?s website

lists a number of factors that are weighed including whether conduct raises national or international issues, involves significant consumer detriment or a blatant disregard of the law.

In this instance the details of your complaint will be used in the context of the ACCC?s ongoing monitoring to determine whether there is a pattern of behaviour by Earthwise PowerSaver or a pattern within their industry that may raise broader concerns.

It must be emphasised that, ultimately, it is a matter for the Courts to determine whether the alleged conduct breaches the ACL and a private right of action is available to anyone who suffers loss or damage as a consequence of a contravention of this legislation. In any event, your private rights of action will not be affected should the ACCC pursue this matter.

Please note that your matter is important to the ACCC as it assists in determining whether issues with national or wider public interest implications exist. The ACCC closely studies the patterns of complaints that it receives to ensure that its enforcement and education actions are focused on the areas of greatest concern to Australian consumers.

Thank you for contacting the ACCC with your concerns. I hope this information is of some assistance.

Yours sincerely"

---------------------------------*/

Reply to
TonyS

It's identical to the one I just got, and is along the same lines as replies I've received regarding other complaints. Essentially, it's a statement that they're not actually going to do anything about it.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

ds.

ut

Im with Sylvia on this one.

Reply to
kreed

Yea, it's obvious, one gets away with selling snake oil in this country, at least until someone goes to court about it.

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

least until someone goes to court about it.

If you are stupid enough to buy a 'Power/Energy Saver' after reading all the posts here that have informed you - that it is a SCAM - then you deserve to be ripped off. The banks do a great job of ripping us all off - they basically use our money to make profits which are never returned to us - they are in the same league as the 'Earthwise PowerSaver', aren't they ? They take your money for no return. Take those bastards to court instead.

Reply to
fritz

least until someone goes to court about it.

No one who reads this group would be "stupid" enough to fall for the scam. It's the ones who have no technical knowledge I am worried about.

You can't compare them with Earthwise. In general they provide a service. If you are talking about accounts that give you 0.3% or so interest, just don't put much money on them. If it's about a mortgage and the fees involved, there are non-bank lenders. If you want to start a business try to get the best deal, there is competition. Banks are businesses and as such have to make money and they do it within the framework of the law I believe. While Earthwise is selling a device that promises to save you money but will never do so.

Some banks used to be government run services in Australia but now they are all privatised. So blame the politicians who converted a public service into a private business, which in the short term fixed the budget.

Accept the given reality and get bank shares, they pay good and regular fully franked dividend:)

Tony

Reply to
TonyS

"TonyS"

** Dozens of people have complained and staff at the ACA have seen the TV exposure too.
** The ACCC is a law enforcement body - much like the police.

They cannot reveal details of an on-going investigation or even say if one is going on or not - to do so would alert the people being investigated, plus allow any member of the public ( who knew one was going on ) to publicly harass and defame a possibly innocent company about the simple FACT they were being investigated by the ACCC.

Also, if you payed any attention - the offending product is only available by getting it installed in one's home by one of their electricians. Far as I can work out, this is not yet being carried out on people's homes - excepting a few houses that are part of a free trial. So there is currently nothing to investigate.

When someone who HAS had a unit installed complains to the ACCC and invites one of their staff to come and see it - things may happen.

A far better option is to EXPOSE the scam on national TV and elsewhere as often as possible - so it never takes off.

BTW:

One of the Earthwise dealers in Qld claims there is $10 million in stock waiting to be installed - I reckon this figure is based on the installed value of $ 1300 or more per unit.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You overlooked the fact that some who read this group are seemingly devoid of technical knowledge.

Reply to
who where

least until someone goes to court about it.

It's the ones who have no technical knowledge I am

Yes I can, they are in the same league, rip-off merchants are obvious, maybe you are sucking up to them, eh ???

you 0.3% or so interest, just don't put much money

framework of the law I believe. While Earthwise is

all privatised. So blame the politicians who converted

budget.

franked dividend:)

They are always ripping you off; that is the nature of their bank business, you are too stupid to realise that you are being screwed left right and centre.

Reply to
fritz