Dimmers - Rip off - Page 2

Re: Dimmers - Rip off

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?Ntt=lamp+dimmer&Nty=1&N41%1&Ntk=gensearch

I have experienced all the above but have found the following
Farnell don't sell UK specific items in OZ as many are restricted items and
as Chris said they don't fit our standard GPO's and light switches. If you
want them they might take a non returnable order
They do try and shift sales to the local branch which makes sense to me but
Farnell UK and CPC do take web orders on occasion and ship without question
as long as you pay.
They don't stock everything and have started to show this in their new
catalogue with a an S just like RS show TC on the items that they carry
Delivery from US is only 30 bucks but is UPS and not post. I'd like a
cheaper option

Cheers
Mike

Re: Dimmers - Rip off

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:19:50 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"
composed:

Agreed, it's a rip-off. The last dimmer I purchased was from KMart
some 10 years ago. At that time they were costing $10 retail.
Admittedly they were crap quality (I had to return one due to a faulty
pot), but the "good" ones are still working today. Looking inside,
there wasn't much more to the units than a pot and a triac. The triac
was "attached" to its heatsink by the surface tension of thermal
grease, ie there were no fasteners. IIRC, the devices were
made/imported by GAF Controls.

My other beef is in regard to power boards. I still can't find a
reasonably priced power board with individually switched outlets, at
least not at retail. WES sell a 6-way board for $25 (3-way if you use
AC adapters), but the same item at KMart costs $50.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Dimmers - Rip off

I've bought a whole bunch of nice HPM ones from DSE. Not so much because
of the individual switches, whicvh is nice, but because the sockets
themselves are decent quality. Without exception every plug-board I've
bought in the last 6 years has been cheap shit - fine if you never want
to unplug things, but the internals are easily damaged.

Cheers
Terry

Site Timeline