Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

Hi everyone, we had a 6 hour blackout here today and when the power came
back on all the electronic stuff in the house (and there is a lot of it)
came back on just fine, except my sons unit (Dead as a maggot), I vaguely
remember a few years ago having the same problem with a Samsung (I think)
VCR, some kind soul here pointed me in the right direction of components to
replace and she was up and running again. Has anyone seen this in this
particular model

Cheers and thanks
Tony..

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

"Tony Leathem"

** This  problem is commonly due to the SMPS failing to "kick start".

VCR techs see it a lot  -  a unit arrives on the bench with some plausible
fault scenario, but in fact " fails to proceed "  as the genteel folk at
Rolls Royce would say.

The cause is often a high voltage, low value ( ie 1 or 2.2 uF ) electro cap
in the SMPS that has given up the game and gone way high ESR.

Make a Bob Parker ESR meter into your friend.

.......   Phil

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

Thank you Phil, if memory serves me rightly (and it hardly ever does these
days) it was a low value cap that caused the problem in the Samsung. Time to
delve into the innards
Cheers
Tony..

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

Is the Bob Parker ESR meter the one that's available cheaper as a kit? And
if so is there a distributor in the UK?

TIA

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

. . .

Take a look here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

The link to a UK supplier given there seems to be broken though.

I guess DSE could send you a kit wherever you are.

Elektor September 2005 had a combined ESR/capacitance meter. They sell
kits but quite expensive at around 70 quid.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:24:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au (Andy

Thanks for alerting me to that non-working link, Andy. Things are
pretty crook when I find out only by reading this newsgroup!

The new link to Martin Pickering's web page with the "Genie" ESR meter
on it  (that's what some UK technicians call the Dick Smith one) is
at:
http://www.satcure-focus.com/hobby/page5.htm

Thanks for recommending it, Phil. :)

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

It seems Satcure are too busy to take telephone orders (they state this on
their website), which is a problem since I do not trust my PC with my card
number! Are there any other UK distributors that can supply the kit?

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

Do you trust fax machines?

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

Do they offer no other payment options?
you can buy from Dick Smith Electroinics with a bank deposit or
telegraphic transfer.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

   I'd strongly suggest ordering it from John's Jukes in Vancouver,
Canada. He's never too busy to talk to a customer on the phone and
give whatever help they need. His mail-order service is excellent too.
   His website's at http://www.flippers.com

Cheers
Bob

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

Thanks for the suggestions all, I asked satcure via their automated email on
their website if I could order by phone and they replied with a number I can
contact them with.

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

Well done!

Re: Digitor G1629 combo DVD/VCR !!DEAD!!

The kits ordered, but I missed the last post for Thursday - hoping for
delivery on Saturday.

Site Timeline