Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 10

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

   All TV transmitters are analog.  The only digital transmitter is one
used to send true keyed CW, AKA "Morse code"  Existing TV transmitters
are being retrofitted for digital TV in some places.  The reason most
stations are buying a new transmitter is twofold:  One, they don't want
to drop their analog service right away, and they can write off the cost
the new transmitter on their taxes during the forced upgrades.

   As far as cooling cost the heat from the tubes is transferred by
copper pipe to an outdoor heat exchanger.  The cabinet of a Comark 130
KW (Visual) and 65 KW (Aural) TV transmitter I serviced was cool to the
touch, except on the outside of the water jacket on the three 65 KW EEV
Klystrons.  The two large heat exchangers blew a lot of hot air into the
outside air and away from the building.  The support equipment was a
heavier cooling load than the transmitter. The control room was smaller
than the transmitter room but had more air conditioning units on that
part of the roof.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Michael A. Terrell"   =  a Yank

**  In fairness  -  KLR never suggested otherwise.

**  Some Aussie sites are using 5 kW transmitters for the DTV signal or even
a standby transmitter.

 he situation here is still in a state of change.

**  In Aussie -  networks are forced by law to have both at present but only
DTV will continue in 2008.

 IIRC,  they are now allowed to use up to a 50 kW transmitter for the
combined SD and HD signals.

( snip interesting plumbing info ..... )

...............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

If you've seen something in high definition on a high definition screen
you will know why.
I was thinking of buying a standard defnintion box from Woolworths for
$70 but there weren't any there, I don't really need one though as the
reception in my area's good.
Your argument is a bit like why change to digital mobile phone networks
when the analogue phone networks worked fine?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Digital has MANY advantages over the existing system. I too was
skeptical until I got a STB to enable me to get my favourite shows in
widescreen.
The benefits I've found are:
- Absolutely perfect picture on every channel, all with my existing
crappy antenna. I could hardly pick up SBS at all before, now I get it
perfect, along with all the other channels. Fantastic. Not many people
get a perfect picture on every channel with analog. Sure there is a bit
of pixelisation now and then, but you have to be watching for it. Give
me a perfect picture and a bit of pixelisation over a snowy picture any
day.
- Widescreen. A HUGE benefit IMHO.
- A much sharper picture, and much easier to see and clearer so say
people I know with vision problems.
- The sound is slightly better, but this only a marginal benefit for
me.
- Online TV guides. Marginal benefit, but nice.
- High definition for those with the gear, although Hi-Def is still
ridiculously expensive for the small benefit. i.e. I can't watch any of
my DVDs in Hi-Def.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Why more people aren't switching to digital is they don't see there's enough
there to bother making the change. Whenever I hear someone on the the radio
extolling the virtues of getting a digital set top box, the first thing they
will say is "no ghosting". I don't have ghosting. Will all these people with
ghosting please stand up. What will make me and a lot others switch to
digital is getting a lot more choice in what to watch. So using the digital
spectrum for more channels. It won't "no ghosting", a sharper picture or
wide screen.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

enough
radio
they
with
digital

Set top box's give you better pictures and a menu system that has a
programme
guide built in with programme information to boot.

They also tune in radio stations, they're excellent value at just over $100

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Most people really don't care about extra menus and listening to the radio
on your TV is not really the most cost effective way of listening to the
radio. As well as the cost of the STB you then have to fok out extra $$$ for
the extra power consumed by the TV over a normal radio. A 68cm TV uses 8
times the power that a home stereo system uses.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

over
radio
the
$$$ for
uses 8

Umm, how about feeding your STB into your stereo? All STBs have audio
line out, and most these days have digital out too. No one would buy an
STB just to get the radio, but it's a nice side benefit for some. Also,
no one would buy an STB just for the online guides (ok, some may?), but
once again it's a nice side benefit.
The only sound I put through my TV speakers is my MiniDV on playback,
everything else (DVD, STB, Xbox) goes through the stereo, MUCH better
than the TV.

Some of the extra channels are getting used now too, although not
nearly as much as they could be. Like the recent broadcast of the
tennis had a channel where you could watch the tennis in a small box
and the rest of the screen had real-time stats.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Most stereos have an FM receiver in them so it would seem rather pointless
doing that. In any case the cheaper STBs usually have just one set of A/V
sockets and most people feed those straight into the TV. If you want to use
the stereo it makes matters more complex than the average person is
interested in it being. Not only do you have to find/puyrchase additional
cables you end up having to use 3 remotes just to listen to the radio. Most
people like to be able to sit down, press ON and watch with one remote in
hand.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Leaving your other hand free for your 'other activities' hey?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

pointless
A/V

Wrong again.
Many of the low end STBs have SCART, A/V, and coax digital. That's 3
(count them) audio outputs.

additional
radio. Most
remote in

My STB is the same brand as my TV, so I can share remote. In fact the
single power button turns both sets on and off. Very nice.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Maybe the ones that you buy on ebay have them but the under $100 STBs that
I've seen in shops are a lot more basic than that. The $79 model that
Woolies has been selling recently is one example.

Lucky you.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

3
that

Not according to this thread:
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm39%chvpF5tlrpeU1%40individual.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwoolworths%2Bstb%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3D39chvpF5tlrpeU1%2540individual.net%26rnum%3D1
(Hope the link works)
They claim the new Wollies box has RCA and Digital out for your lousy
$75.
But then again, you should know that, you contributed to the thread.
I find it curious that you contribute to a digital TV forum yet you
don't have an STB yourself.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm39%chvpF5tlrpeU1%40individual.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwoolworths%2Bstb%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3D39chvpF5tlrpeU1%2540individual.net%26rnum%3D1

It doesn't have SCART, which is the most compatible outlet. Most TVs and
home stereos don't have coax in so that leaves just 1 set of RCA connectors
and RF for most people.

Since when is aus.tv a digital TV forum?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Try looking up the word "forum" in a dictionary.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Why? It's irrelevant to the question.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

When is digital TV not TV?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Not relevant. aus.tv is an top level newsgroup for the discussion of all
aspects of AUStralian TV. aus.tv.digital was created for the discussion of
aspects specifically relating to digital TV in Australia. aus.tv.digital is
a digital group.  The implication of the other poster's question was that I
was posting to a specifically digital group. I am not.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

all
discussion of
aus.tv.digital is
that I

The link I posted shows aus.tv.digital only, so unless Google is lying
or not showing cross posted groups, you do post to aus.tv.digital
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=aus.tv.digital&as_uauthors=who_tat_me&lr=&hl=en

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=aus.tv.digital&as_uauthors=who_tat_me&lr=&hl=en

bject:
           Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?
       Date:
           27 Mar 2005 14:56:33 -0800
  Newsgroups:
           aus.tv, aus.politics, aus.electronics