Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 4

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Maybe in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane but not in the rest of the country.
There was one post recently from somebody who said his local Woolies has
cheap STBs all the time. My local Woolies got 20. That's all they've ever
had and they don't know if they'll ever get any more. A thorough check of
Lower Hunter stores found no cheap STBs available at all.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Cheap can mean good too, price is NOT proportional to goodness.
Plenty of good SD STBs on eBay around the $100 mark, even less.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

That's sort of true but the cheaper the STU, the fewer features that it will
have. That's fairly true of anything.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Read - that's completely true.

So a "good" STB has to have lots of "features" huh?
What are these features the "good" STBs have which the "cheap" STBs do
not?
Does number of features equate to a better quality picture?, or a
better decoder chip?, or a better quality front end?

You get a lot of features for your $68 + postage:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category46%93&item57%63112021&rd=1
or your $71:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category46%93&item57%63000911&rd=1
or your $80:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category46%93&item57%57904015&rd=1
or...

Plenty good enough for most people I would think.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

No it isn't.

Generally yes, that is true. .

Yes, yes and yes

Good enough is not necessarily good. It usually means barely adequate.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

So what extra features do the "good" STBs have that the "cheapies" I
have posted links for do not have?

do

Oops, looks like you didn't answer my question the first time...

Really.
Please post the links to these supposed "good" receivers and what
evidence you have that they actually have better quality decoder chips
and front ends. I'm sure we'd all love to see what features they have
that make them worth 2-3 times the price.
I for one would be VERY surprised if one of your supposed "good" STB's
has 2-3 times the picture quality to justify the extra price...

adequate.

I paid $135 for my STB many months ago (and they are cheaper again
now), it's a top brand name, made in Europe, and has all the features I
could ever need.
There is simply no need to spend many hundreds of dollars to get a good
quality SD STB that will give you a first class result. If you are
paying that sort of money you are getting ripped off.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I didn't even look at those. Most people don't buy STBs off ebay. Show me
some links for STBs in shops.

Did you buy it in a shop where *most* people buy them? You can always get
something cheaper if you look hard enough but if you're going to compare
prices you have to have a common frame of reference. Just because you might
have been lucky enough to get something doesn't mean that the price you paid
is the average price.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Show me

LMAO!
You made the claim that "good" STBs which cost more were better and
have more features than the "cheap" STBs, you get to prove it.
The ones on eBay are the SAME ones you can buy in the shops for grossly
inflated prices.

features I
get
compare
might
you paid

I wasn't lucky, anyone can get them at "Buy it Now" prices on eBay.
Sure, your average Joe doesn't buy on eBay but that has nothing to do
with your claim that "good" expensive STBs are better or have more
features than the "cheapies".

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I don't need to prove it any more than I need to prove that the sun will
rise tomorrow. Anybody whe has seen the specs and features of one of the
cheapies and then looked the specs and features of one of the more expensive
models knows the more expensive models are better.

Too bad. Most people buy them from shops so that's the pricing you need to
be comparing.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

: The ones on eBay are the SAME ones you can buy in the shops for grossly
: inflated prices.

Where do these STBs on EBay come from?
Do they come from disgruntled owners, who are glad to get rid of them at
any price.

IOW are the second hand or are they brand new?

--
David Barnett
"Where you stand depends on where you sit."

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

grossly
at

Almost all of them are brand new, and many come from offical dealers
with full Australian warranty.
Ebay is now a massive market for dealers, from one-man-bands in their
bedroom to big companies with real premesis and staff who ship
thousands of items a week.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Well a good STB may have features such as dual tuners and a hard disk
for recording (up to 200Gb currently) so you can actually record two
programs simultaneously, even while watching a previously recorded
program.

I don't specifically know what makes a "good" STB better than a
cheaper one with less features. This is for the individual to decide
based on what they consider is "good", what features they desire, and
how much they wish to pay. Here is a typical "good" quality STB if you
have around $900.00 (new retail) to spare
http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/product.asp?SKU=TF5000PVRT

I'd have to agree with that...

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:28:10 +1100, "Phil Allison"

AND What did a STB cost when it first came out, you better compare
apples to apples. They were a hell of a lot more than $100.

  As for this whole issue the question was why do we have to have
digital TV, or probably more to the point why are we getting rid of
analogue TV. Digital does have a lot of good technical reasoning for
it, but for most people they would hardly notice it, without these
fancy new TV's etc. People often compare digital and analogue TV to
DVD's and VCRs, and although there may be an improvement going digital
over analogue for TV its nothing like the improvement from VCR's to
DVD and that is because VHS was a lesser picture quality to broadcast
TV. With digital TV you really need to go HD or widescreen which means
investing in more than an STB.

Remember if you have a STB you are still sending an analogue signal
from the STB to the TV, just like a DVD, so the max picture quality
will be limited by the TV.

  A few friends of mine have got digital just to get rid of ghosting,
but as has been pointed out in some other threads although digital
gets rid of ghosting if you are in a bad receiption area (just like
ghosting) but you can get drop outs in the digital signal which causes
pixilisation. I have a ghosting issue where I live and digital would
fix that, but I am not going to be upgrading my TV until such time as
it fails and needs replacing or if there are good priced (under $1000)
TV's available with a digital decoder in-built, but how many of them
are there now?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Very true. It's hard even to compare VHS to VHS. I still have some original
VHS movies that I purchased in the early 80s as well as some copies that I
made by conecting two VCRs together. At the time I thought that the picture
was great but comparing them to VHS tapes from 1999 (the last time I
purchased a pre-recorded movie on VHS) and they look and sound terrible.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Ahh, but that is why I entered the world of digital.   My Hifi VCR was
starting to produce god-awful recordings in LP (and mediocre in SP) and
someone suggested to try sussing out a PVR out (Mid 2003).    I pre-ordered
the Topfield TF5000PVRt, and have never watched a minute of analogue (at
home) since getting it in Nov 2003.   This will change the way you watch TV,
really, and to have the identical picture quality as what was broadcasted
saved away on the HDD is fantastic.
So I am a digital convert, digital is the way forward, and a PVR is the way
to enjoy it the most (esp the Topfield, with 70 timer slots,
dual/overlapping recording/timers, records subtitles/teletext & audio
streams so the viewing experience is identical regardless of whether you
watch it live or 2 weeks later).
Regards
Tony
--
http://tonyspage.abock.de for some Topfield info including turning
those recordings into DVDs, adding features with the open source TAP
Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:28:10 +1100, "Phil Allison"

$100 for an STB that when plugged into my 43cm mono TV gives me
picture and sound pretty much indistinguishable from what I have now.

I actually tape most of the TV I watch, often in LP to fit it all in,
so I gain nothing except the hassle of having to plug in an STB and
figure out how to programme it to timerecord with the VCR, and sort
out how to have the whole set up work with Foxtel and my DVD player as
well.

If I want to watch a movie I am better off to hire it for $4 on DVD
and watch the film without ads when I want to watch it.

Since the household has 2 TVs and 3 VCRs in operation it would need 5
STBs or new appliances with digital tuners just to get rid of
analogue.

And that's just to get what I get now. To benefit from the improved
quality and sound of HD you need STBs that cost more than $100, a
widescreen TV and a surround sound applifier and speakers.

After all that if I want to watch a movie I am still better of paying
$4 to hire the DVD and watch it without ads, watermarks, trailers and
promos when ever I want to.

Like the vast majority of viewers digital offers me absolutely nothing
for a lot of expense and hassle. Which is why it failed to take off.

The only place with rapid uptake of digital has been the UK where they
mandated a simple low resolution medium-width picture as standard.
They ensured that the STBs were compatible across Pay TV and FTA.
Even then they screwed up by not having the security on terrestrial
Pay strong enough.

Yep. Colour TV added significant utility to viewers and they were
prepared to pay a lot for it. Colour TV is the most most sucessful
introduction of new broadcast technology.  It was also fully
compatable for BW viewers and didn't required the legislative junking
of billions of dollars worth of privately owned electronics to prop it
up.

dewatf.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Legislative junking?????

Care to explain please?

What was junked by legislation?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

today.
analogue phones.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:48:46 +0930, Chasing Kate

TV station equipment had to be replaced with digital. The ABC had to
beg for nearly $100m to afford it.

In order to force people to adopt digital, because they won't do so by
their free will, the digtial legislation calls for the analogue
signals are to be switched off in 2008. Rendering TVs, VCRs, Tuner
cards etc. useless.

dewatf.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"dewatf"
 Chasing Kate

 **  For ch 10 in Sydney to put a digital signal on air was ridiculously
cheap.

   Only a small ( 5kw)  transmitter and a digital modulator - peanuts to
them.

 **  Nothing is rendered useless -   you lying fuckhead.

Site Timeline