Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"ferret" = "ferkwit"

** That many ?? I'm surprised.

** False analogy.

As a result of Govt decree DTV presently offers a picture quality improvement only .

** Rot.

................. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

These questions (other than in the first paragraph) have been asked and answered and done to death over the past few years or so...

YAWN !!! Bloody Luddites....

Reply to
dmm

** If you have a chauffer there is no need to learn how to drive ....
** Just as asinine as the previous one.

** Then don't watch the crap - watch only the decent stuff.

.............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I didn't.

Natalie

Reply to
Natalie

one

$490.

Even if you did, you can't program the VCR's to change the STB channel when you're not home!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

How is this NOT a marketing disaster.

The government is not doing a Inquiry into why TOO many people have changed over to Digital !

The government is concerned the Mandate to cut-off analogue will expire before the majority have switched over. The impact of this would be huge dent in spent advertising tax dollars.

Reply to
ferret

"ferret"

** That is a different question in a new context - d*****ad.

Makers and sellers of STBs have made good money from them - the same designs are sold in Europe and elsewhere.

** Most folk put off whatever is not urgent - when it gets urgent they finally do it.

Wait and see what the Senate committee reports.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Because Aussies are slack. If it's not broken - don't fix it. Mobile phones and internet were new products. Digital TV is an improvement to an existing product so there's really no use comparing the figures. If you've seen the difference for yourself, then I'd be surprised if you wouldn't cough up the money for a SD set top box. A friend of mine was living near a high rise less than 10k from the centre of Melbourne and his analogue reception was RS. Got quoted $850.00 for a high masted aerial, amplifier etc. so he got himself a $180.00 TEAC box and the problem was solved. I have a HD box and TV and can honestly say that the picture quality is astounding, like watching a moving photograph, admittedly at a price. My point is that the technology is vastly superior and when people become aware of the improvement they'll take it up.

Reply to
Swampfox

"Swampfox"

** Most folk could not care less about pic quality and sit and watch atrocious pics with equanimity. However, when the complete absence of a picture becomes imminent there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and a rush to buy the cheapest STBs available.

When FINALLY there is no picture at all to look at THEN even the slovenliest couch potatoes will be driven to visit the stores - or likely enterprising dealers will employ folk to drive around the suburbs with van loads of cheap STBs - selling them door to door for quick cash.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No it isn't.

Generally yes, that is true. .

Yes, yes and yes

Good enough is not necessarily good. It usually means barely adequate.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

That's not being slack. That's being practical. If something is working fine, why replace it?

Be surprised. I've seen the difference. I still see no point forking out money for something that I don't need to fork out money for. I have good FTA reception and Foxtel.

For many people there is no improvement. I live 30km from the main local FTA Tx site and I see no point to Digital at this time. The main benefit I see is widescreen but for that to be effective I need at least an 82cm widescreen TV to replace my 68cm 4:3 TV and that's a bit more than just an STB.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Not much help if your not in those areas! Melb. and Sydney will be the first to switch off. That's a lot of people. Nearly all TV's still come with an analog only tuner. Even the DVD/HD recorders people are still buying right now will be obsolete with their analog tuners. Programming them will be impossible just by adding a STB. The manufacturers are happy, they get to sell you another set.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Very true, and it means you really need to get rid of the VCR and buy yourself a PVR which is an extra cost.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Even many of the current PVR's have analog tuners! I'm yet to see a DVD/HD recorder in the local shops with a digital tuner in fact. Copyright wars seem to be the problem.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Ahh, but that is why I entered the world of digital. My Hifi VCR was starting to produce god-awful recordings in LP (and mediocre in SP) and someone suggested to try sussing out a PVR out (Mid 2003). I pre-ordered the Topfield TF5000PVRt, and have never watched a minute of analogue (at home) since getting it in Nov 2003. This will change the way you watch TV, really, and to have the identical picture quality as what was broadcasted saved away on the HDD is fantastic. So I am a digital convert, digital is the way forward, and a PVR is the way to enjoy it the most (esp the Topfield, with 70 timer slots, dual/overlapping recording/timers, records subtitles/teletext & audio streams so the viewing experience is identical regardless of whether you watch it live or 2 weeks later). Regards Tony

--

for some Topfield info including turning those recordings into DVDs, adding features with the open source TAP environment etc...

Reply to
tony_h

Just one other point remember is that the digital signal is still sent across the air on a modulated analogue signal until it reaches the decoder, so a lot of the same rules for radio still apply. If you have poor analogue reception then if the digital signal is coming off the same stick then your digital may also be crap and you may well still need that better quality antenna. I also kind of thought reading around the traps that even if your current analague is good, you may still need a better antenna for digital, same too with the internal cable quality and their connections within the building wiring.

The difference of course is the digital signal is a lot more tollerant due to error correction and probably a bit of fudging in the decoders so you might not notice poor signal quality until you loose the picture totaly, at least with an analogue signal you can sometimes still have a watchable picture.

Reply to
AJ

And again WHY does this have to be debated in the Senate? Seems a waste of time

Reply to
Chasing Kate

You won't see one until there is a fast enough A/D converter to handle twice the highest frequency you want to receive.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Chasing Kate"

** There are any number of posts supply the logical reasons.

There are web sites that supply them - I posted one URL.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Some (not all) STBs have timers to change channels. More useful if you have a VCR with a "rec-link" function (e.g. JVC) so you don't have to set timers on both machines.

Reply to
Kevin Hendrikssen