Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 14

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

How have they given that away?

Or those?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

The second half will be shortly.

They gave them away in Melbourne under Kennett.

MrT.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

They gave them away in Melbourne under Kennett.

MrT.

***** What a stupid moronic statement!! A load of absolute crap.
Politics aside,the State of Victoria was paid an enormous amount of money by
the buyers of the gas and electricity undertakings.

Please engage brain before putting mouth into gear!!

Brian Goldsmith

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

That's not an answer to my question. Telecommunications is still under the
control of the government. http://www.aca.gov.au

That's Victoria. Who cares about Victoria?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Victorians?

MrT.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I meant who of any importance.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Victorians.

MrT.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

*note to self. Mr.T is more insane than Herc*

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

under the

Eddie Maguire

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Who cares about Eddie Maguire?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Victorians

8)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:29:34 +1000, dmm

[snip]

Er we hate him as much as the rest of Aust. Apart from Collingwood
supporters that is.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Didn't you see the smiley, a few lines below??

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

We were discussing the electromagnetic spectrum which is defined by international
agreements and run by the ACA, which is a body of the Federal Government.
Some frequencies are reserved for military, police, emergency services, telecoms
providers,
television, radio, satellite, amateur, and other services. The service providers
and users are
required to hold licenses to use those frequencies allocated to them, however
there are
some exceptions.

Telecommunications? well that is now Telstra, and only a part of the overall
telecoms structure
in Australia.

The delivery of electricity, gas and water are/were State concerns, not Federal.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Federal.

Just as I stated.

Government in Australia is Federal, state, and local.

MrT.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

You really don't understand how things work do you?

You have to have one overall control and monitoring body or you'd have
anarchy.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

   Like the early days of AM broadcast. People built stations on the
same frequency and caused all kinds of interference.  It has to be
handled by someone who is responsible to international agreements or it
is a real mess.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Because Aussies are slack.
If it's not broken - don't fix it.
Mobile phones and internet were new products.
Digital TV is an improvement to an existing product so there's really no use
comparing the figures.
If you've seen the difference for yourself, then I'd be surprised if you
wouldn't cough up the money for a SD set top box.
A friend of mine was living near a high rise less than 10k from the centre
of Melbourne and his analogue reception was RS.
Got quoted $850.00 for a high masted aerial, amplifier etc. so he got
himself a $180.00 TEAC box and the problem was solved.
I have a HD box and TV and can honestly say that the picture quality is
astounding, like watching a moving photograph, admittedly at a price.
My point is that the technology is vastly superior and when people become
aware of the improvement they'll take it up.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Swampfox"

**  Most folk could not care less about pic quality and sit and watch
atrocious pics with equanimity. However,  when the complete absence of a
picture becomes imminent there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth
and a rush to buy the cheapest STBs available.

When  FINALLY  there is no picture at all to look at  THEN  even the
slovenliest couch potatoes will be driven to visit the stores  -  or likely
enterprising dealers will employ folk to drive around the suburbs with van
loads of cheap STBs  - selling them door to door for quick cash.

............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

That's not being slack. That's being practical. If something is working
fine, why replace it?

Be surprised. I've seen the difference. I still see no point forking out
money for something that I don't need to fork out money for. I have good FTA
reception and Foxtel.

For many people there is no improvement. I live 30km from the main local FTA
Tx site and I see no point to Digital at this time. The main benefit I see
is widescreen but for that to be effective I need at least an 82cm
widescreen TV to replace my 68cm 4:3 TV and that's a bit more than just an
STB.

Site Timeline