Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 12

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

enough
radio
thing they
people with
digital
or

If you have a widescreen TV (as many do for watching DVDs) then there
is a massive benefit in going to digital.
It's not just ghosting, it's the fact that a great many people do not
get a perfect picture on every channel. Digital will fix that in most
cases.
Even if you have a perfect picture on all or some channels, the digital
picture is so much clearer, so there is a benefit there alone, just ask
anyone with eyesight problems who have trouble seeing a normal analog
screen.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

That's like asking anyone with poor hearing whether $5,000 home
enetertainment system sounds better than a $10 portable radio.

Unless the reception is really crappy to start with and hard to see for
somebody with good eyesight, digital isn't going to be a benefit for
somebody with bad eyesight and even then it's doubtful whether there'll be
an improvement.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

analog
for
there'll be

I don't have bad eyesight myself, so can't speak for myself, but I have
bought STBs for older relatives with eyesight problems and they rave
about the clarity of the STB picture compared to what I think is pretty
darn close to an ideal analog picture. They can now see stuff in detail
without their glasses, don't get sore eyes etc. So obviously it CAN
make a difference, and obvously you have no actual experience in this
area.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Obviously I have more experience than you. I have 80 year old parents with
failing eyesight and they have lots of 80 year old friends. I live in an
area with a large aged population and I run a business that originally
started as a PC support operation but has expanded into other areas. I have
quite a few aged customers who I see on a regular basis, both in a
professional and personal capacity. Not one of them has ever raved about
digital TV and yes, I have shown quite a few of them the benefits of digital
while tuning their VCRs, fixing PCs, connecting Foxtel boxes etc. In almost
every case a marked improvement has resulted from an increase in picture
size, not from making an already clear picture clearer.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

see
for
have
rave
pretty
detail
this
with
an
originally
I have
about
digital
almost
picture

The problem with your argument is that it only takes one single case to
prove you wrong. I have several visually impaired people who contradict
what you say, so the clearer STB picture CAN help some people.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Maybe your relatives were just being nice to you. When you went on so much
about the virtues of digital they didn't want to upset you by saying "No, I
can't see any bloody difference."

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

normal
benefit
CAN
parents
in
areas.
of
In
case to
contradict
much
"No, I

Nope. They beg me to come around and fix the slightest problem they
have, they can't standing watching analog any more it gives them
headaches.
Face it, you are wrong. The STB digital picture is MUCH clearer to SOME
people. Just because you have no people that it makes a difference with
doesn't mean that's the way it is.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

No I'm not.

Of course it is but if you already have a good analogue picture, a digital
STB is no substitute for spectacles or laser surgery

Just because you have a limited number of relatives who who think it makes a
difference doesn't mean that's the way it is either.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

so
saying

You claimed that improved clarity in the digital STB picture offers NO
improvement what so ever for visually impaired people. I know several
visually imparied people who will tell you otherwise.
Therefore you are wrong.

digital

Never said it was. I can help SOME people that's all.

makes a

What part of SOME people don't you understand?

Dave :)

That's not what you said though:

"Even if you have a perfect picture on all or some channels, the digital
picture is so much clearer, so there is a benefit there alone, just ask
anyone with eyesight problems who have trouble seeing a normal analog
screen."

"just ask anyone" implies a lot more than some.

Since you've only just started using SOME whereas previously your claim that
digital would help ANYONE  with eyesight problems I'd suggest that you might
do well to consult a dictionary.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"David L. Jones"

**  Questions for DLJ.

1. What does a STB's pic quality look like if the RF out is used to feed an
old TV  ??

2. What does a STB's pic quality look like if the composite output is
connected to a VCR video input so the modulator feeds an old TV  -  so the
STB's signal can be recorded  ??

3. What does a STB's pic quality look like if the RF out is connected to the
antenna input on a VCR,  then proceeds via its tuner, IF strip, video
detector and RF modulator to an old TV  ??

4. How does the above pic quality  *compare* with that obtained by using
direct S-Video or Component Video linked to a modern,  68 cm TV ??

The arrangements 1, 2 &  3  are COMMON  when STBs are used with old TVs.

The dudes you are debating are likely basing their comments on the pic
quality of  1, 2 or 3.

.............    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

feed an

Not that great I would suspect.
Never tried it myself, as even my crappy 20yo 2nd TV has an A/V input.

so the

As above.

to the

As above.

using
TVs.
pic

Yes, I suspect you are right Phil, except in the case of Who_tat_me who
doesn't even have an STB :->
Still ain't going to make any difference whether you get a $100 cheapie
or a $300 "good" unit though ;-)

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

If you're in Tassie you need it to watch ch10.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Firstly, anyone who HAS to ask that question apparently cannot distinguish a
good quality TV picture from a poor one. The majority of the population are like
that. They are happy to receive any sort of TV picture. SO digital will not do
anything for them.

Secondly, they will not realise that they are actually reaping part of the
benefit of digital TV already. Since the TV stations began distributing their TV
programmes in digital, the quality of the TV signal sent out from the existing
analogue TV transmitters has improved enormously.

Thirdly, the wider 16:9 aspect ratio can only be appreciated on a widescreen TV
set and not on an analogue one. Most movies are widescreen (although usually
more than 16:9).

Fourthly, the quality of digital TV can only be appreciated on a large screen TV
set. On any set less than 68 cm (diagonal) most people sit too far away to see
any fine detail anyway.

Finally, digital TV is much more spectrum efficient. So more channels can be
fitted into the same TV frequencies. In Oz at least three Standard Definition
digital TV channels can occupy on analogue TV channel.
What does this mean to the viewer? Well, probably not much (except for the extra
TV programming) but for the stations it means that they are getting more value
for the money that they have paid out for their TV transmitting licence.
And of course. in the long term, the Government will rake in more money as they
will be able to sell more spectrum space.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"WDino"

**  It is actually far better than that.  Analogue TV signals cannot operate
on adjacent frequencies  -  there has to be a wide  vacant gap equal to
another channel between any two stations.  ( Chs  9 and 10 are separated by
ch 9A  -  which is to be used for digital ) So for the usual 4 analogue
channels to co-exist requires that another 7 or 8 channels be left vacant  -
one above and one below each channel.

It is by the elimination of these vacant blocks of  spectrum  ( about 50 MHz
worth in each capitol) that new services will be made possible.

It is even better with the UHF band  -  with digital services all 41
channels can be occupied in the same area instead of the previous max of
about  20.

So, allowing 3  x  SD signals per channel number results in a possible 123
digital TV channels on UHF !!!

Another benefit is how much closer stations using the same frequency can be
located  -  with analogue there has to be hundreds of miles of separation as
even the slightest signal from a distant same frequency transmitter produces
a visible image on the screen.  With digital, the significantly stronger
signal wins out and no sign of the weaker one is seen.

.............     Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

like
TV

How do you work that one out? In many cases what is sitting before the
transmitter, or in the case of digital what ever it is that digitises
the signal is pretty much the same stuff. Sure the stations may have
new camera's etc to cater more for digital TV (Widescreen and all that
good stuff that does make digital a good thing), but there ain't
nothing that is going to improve the analogue signal coming off the
stick. The broadcast quality that was sent before if received on a TV
with no problems would match the perfromance of the TV, so where would
you see an improvement.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"AJ"   = an utter dickhead

**  It is blindingly obvious  -  you cretin.

( snip more drivel)

**  Only rarely ( until recent times)  did broadcast analogue TV signals
match the performance of good TV sets  -  program quality varied over a wide
range and only live to air material originating in the same city as the
transmitter was reliably first class. The rest, derived from analogue tape
storage mediums and over long analogue links was highly variable. Nowadays,
digital storage and digital signals carried over those links has put an end
to quality loss there.

Modern TV sets all have AV inputs  -  most have S-Video and Component Video
inputs as well -  so that full benefit of a DVD player's enhanced picture
quality can be had.  Most STBs have S-Video and Component Video outputs too
( even the circa $100 ones)  -  since they are capable of DVD grade picture
quality or  **better**.

If a DVD player or STB is connected via a TV set's RF input the pic quality
is unremarkable -  though as good as most broadcast signals.  When connected
via the composite input there is a large improvement, superior even to good
live ( eg daylight sport ) broadcast.  When S-Video or Component inputs are
used there is another, very noticeable improvement on top of that.

The quality "bottleneck" in a standard TV set is the combined effects of the
tuner, IF amplifier and colour decoding circuitry  -  which are simply
bypassed by using  S-Video or Component Video inputs.

............    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

like
TV

Digital is a backward step in some cases since it sometimes pixilates.

Barry

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

At the same time, analogue suffers from ghosting, noise etc. I'd rather have
the occasional pixellation.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

like
do
TV
existing

If you've got pixellation, it's indicative of low signal strength. Try an antenna
with a higher gain, and/or upgrade the coax from the antenna to the
tv/vcr/tuner/digital tuner.

Site Timeline