Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 11

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=aus.tv.digital&as_uauthors=who_tat_me&lr=&hl=en
Easily explained. We've been having a discussion about the benefits of
digital. His arguments have been shot down so now he's grabbing for anything
that he thinks might help him, even if it's totally off-topic and irrelevant
to the conversation. He's at the "Shit! Now I'll have to try discrediting
the other poster" stage.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

lying
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?safe=images&as_ugroup=aus.tv.digital&as_uauthors=who_tat_me&lr=&hl=en
14 ,
of
anything
irrelevant
discrediting

Every single one of my arguments has been based on genuine benfits
digital TV has for SOME people. Show me one of my arguments which has
been "shot down".

Digital has some very big benefits for a LOT of people for very little
outlay in many cases, while others may find little or no benefit.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Genuine perceived benefits. That's not the same as "actual"

The claim that digital TV will benefit ANYONE with poor eyesight is the most
glaring example. Even you have now revised that claim to just "some".

You've changed your tune.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

benefits of
for
off-topic
to try

When will you ever get it?

What Digital has done for me (and many others I know):
I now get a perfect and much clearer picture on every channel, where I
didn't before. An ACTUAL REAL benefit for me and many others.
I can now pick up channels I could not pick up before, an ACTUAL REAL
benefit for me and many others.
I now get widescreen which I didn't before, an ACTUAL REAL benefit for
me and many others.
I now get online program guide where I didn't before, an ACTUAL REAL
benefit for me and many others.
I now get any additional channels or views available, an ACTUAL REAL
benefit for me and many others.
I now get improved sound, an ACTUAL REAL benefit for me and many
others.

All for the princely sum of $130 or so, others have even paid much
less.

These befits can be had by MANY others, but obviously not everyone. I
have never claimed everyone can get these benefits. Some people may not
even want them and are perfectly happy with what they have now. I have
never claimed otherwise.

Of course you wouldn't really know, you don't even own an STB.

has
the most

I could have worded my first post on that a bit better I guess, I MEANT
it helped the people I know, I was not implying it could help EVERYONE.

Of course if that is your only example of my arguments being "shot
down" then I think I've done fairly well. You obviously can't refute
any of the technical benfits of digital TV.

little

Not one bit.

You are the one who has been "shot down" I'm afraid.

Still claiming that you need a "good" and "expensive" STB to get the
above benfits are you?

This thread is now so tired it's not funny.

Regards
Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

But not for many others who already get a good TV signal. Therefore it's not
an actual benefit for them.

I think that's a preceived benefit. Maybe you should stay off the wacky
weed. I'm sure the only channels you get are channels that have always been
there.

Most people don't like widescreen because it looks like crap on their 53, 48
and 34cm TVs.

Now you have a remote in each hand instead of a remote in one hand and a TV
guide in the other. MOST people prefer paper guides. That's why ebooks have
never taken off and why Foxtel had to give its Foxtel Digital viewers a
magazine after they got upset.

Most people just want to see the channels that are already there.

I already get good sound, but that's because I have a good TV. Of course
most people are happy with any sound.

Others have paid even less and they're quite happy.

YAWN. I have used them though and I've set quite a few up.

Your post certainly implied that.

It's the only one I provided because you only asked for one. There are more
but I'm not out to discredit you.

"Even if you have a perfect picture on all or some channels, the digital
picture is so much clearer, so there is a benefit there alone, just ask
anyone with eyesight problems who have trouble seeing a normal analog
screen."

You've changed from "anyone' to "some" That's just one example and more than
enough to show that "Not one bit" is not true.

I haven't been shot down at all. Not once.

I've never claimed that. My claim was "but the cheaper the STU, the fewer
features that it will have. That's fairly true of anything."
That's still true.

Translated: "I can't take this any more. I want to go home."

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I like watching widescreen too but that doesn't negate the fact that most
people hate it.

So you still have two items. You're lucky only to need one. I have a decent
TV that has functions on it that require the use of the TV remote like the
mosaic function that scans all video inputs and channels via the inbuilt
tuner and displays the results as a series of 16 images on the screen. That
lets me see what is on each channel without surfing. Digital severely limits
that.

No They aren't. I'm simply demonstrating why digital isn't the wonderful
benfit to everyone that some make it out to be.

There are two sides to this coin you know.

I never said there wasn't but one side of the coin has about 750,000 people
on it while the other has 4.5 million

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

It's quite clear from this thread that better picture/sound/widescreen/HD
alone aren't sufficient carrots to joe public.

IMO the majority would be much more likely to take on digital if there was
even one more commercial channel on offer - either through allowing a fourth
digital-only network, or by allowing multichannelling on the existing
channels.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I agree.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

their
image
most

You know "most" people who watch TV do you?
You must be a popular guy!

That's why
Digital
like the
inbuilt
screen. That
limits
situations
it
wonderful
people

Wow, that many!
750,000 is a surprisingly high number for an emerging technology.
Digital must really have some great benefits for those people hey?

What do you think, the 4.5M other people have all weighed up the pros
and cons of digital TV and decided that it's not worth it?
Probably half of them wouldn't have a clue what digital TV is.

Quoting those numbers is meaningless, it's not as simple as that.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I realise you're a bit slow but this is a generally accepted view. There has
been a lot of feedback from people to video stores, TV retailers, Pay TV
companies etc over the years to support this. Maybe you should do a little
bit of research.

Not really. I'm not even sure that figure is accurate. Figures that I've
seen show takeup of only about 275,000 but I think the 750,000 came from a
government source. Regardless, stations have been broadcasting digital TV
programs for 4 years in Australia so a takeup of only 750,000 over that time
is not great. It represents less than 15% market penetration, compared to
Pay TV's 23-30%.

Not necessarily. I know quite a few people who've purchased STBs more out of
curiosity and there have been people who've seen the Woolies $79 models on
special and snapped them up becuase other models they've seen were far more
expensive. There are also the "early adopters" (ie technojunkies) who just
have to have the latest and greatest YESTERDAY, regardless of the price.

And the rest don't give a shit!

The government disagrees. That's why there is an inquiry.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

The link you posted earlier had nothing to do with me though. As for me
posting to aus.tv.digital, if you try reading through some of the posts
there, you will see exactly why I subscribed to that group. It is explained
in the very first post that I made to that thread, not that it has any
relevance to this thread. I gather that now your arguments are evaporating
you're becoming a little desperate so you're reaching for anything that
might help you dig your way out of a hole. Don't bother.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Who_tat_me"

**  Not pointless at all  -  many folk find they have poor of no FM
reception, very common with the antenna systems is blocks of units.  In the
same situation, a STB supplies perfect quality, interruption free music 24
/7  -   nothing like it is broadcast on the FM band at all.

** Only those who have no stereo in the same room.

**  Rot  -  once connected to the stereo it is left that way.

 ** Rot  - one pair of RCA leads from STB to stereo.

 **  Rot -  only one is needed. The STB one.

..............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:38:52 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Hmmmm where is it getting the signal from to tune that radio from? As
far as I know radio stations are not digitised and re-broadcast on
digital are they in which case you will still have poor FM performance
won't you? There is no circuitry in a STB that could improve the
signal. In my place my FM radio is connected to my TV antenna and it
works just fine.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"AJ"   =   what a dickhead

** The ABC runs two high quality, digital radio signals along with its other
TV signals.

See:    http://www.abc.net.au/dig /

**  Total gobbledegook !!

** The music signal is  **digitised**  so does not suffer from the problems
that * analogue*  FM does when arriving via a compromised antenna or in a
poor location.

...........    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:57:44 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Thought that was you considering the shit you've been writting in this
thread. The sad thing is you actually make some very good and valid
points about the benifits of digital TV, but fuck it up with total
stupidity!

Ok so the ABC has digital stations that's cool and didn't know that.
In that case it makes perfect sense so there would be an improvement,
BUT the orginal poster who asked about radio wasn't specificaly
talking about ABC radio, it was just radio, so you would be missing
many stations, so the orginal posters comment as to why the hell would
you run your radio through the TV?

Again only for a channel that is sent digital. If its just acting as a
receiver for a FM radio channel then it does SFA

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"AJ"   =   what a dickhead
Phil  Allison

 **  Snip mindless abuse from  a fuckwit.

**  Bullshit -  the poster  ( "regn.pickford " ) who mentioned radio was
speaking of the digital radio channels you get from a STB  -   quote:

" Set top box's give you better pictures and a menu system that has a
programme guide built in with programme information to boot. They also tune
in radio stations, they're excellent value at just over $100 "

** Yes he was - dickhead.

**  He never mentioned other radio signals.

**  You are totally off with the fairies  -  fuckwit.

 **  STBs do NOT contain a FM broadcast receiver -  dickhead.

 They DO provide capacity for DIGITAL radio reception in the VHF and UHF
bands.

 Hundreds of radio channels are possible.

.............    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:24:11 +1000, "Phil Allison"

He said it tunes in radio stations, did he mention digital at all. If
you knew that there were digital broadcasts then you might have
assumed that was what he was talking about, but futher back people
were talking about having extra boxes remotes etc, and someone said
that a STB could more or less get rid of a radio because it had radio
tuner inbuilt, which to mine didn't specificaly mean digital. Its a
whole heap of good if its only ABC stations you can tune in, isn't it.
How does that help with poor radio receiption in these units that you
are so fond of? It doesn't until such time as more than the ABC are
broadcasting on digital, and with this digital radio is that the same
standard as is being planned for digital radio or will it be something
totally different?

Don't know about that, and Oh FM radio was mentioned.

Possible yes, but now, how many, and my guess is if its ABC then its
probably only the national ABC stations and not the local ones.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

for

I like the menus, I like the programme information and guides. I have never
used the
radio side of it, I have my favourite stations already programmed into the
entertainment
centre.

The improvement in the picture is really effective where I live. It goes
from snowy
to crystal clear. It was a good buy

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Just out of interest, were they a big point when you purchased your STB?

*snip*

I know of quite a few people who purchased didgital STBs specifically for
that reason and many of them are happy. Unfortunately a lot are in a
position where nothing helps their TV reception but even some of those
prefer the digital picture over the analogue version. Even the pixelation
that they now suffer is better than the severe ghosting that they previously
had to put up with.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

over
the
$$$
8

Mostly it was that I had seen the improvement in picture on another tv.

I wouldn't have bought it only for the menu system but it is a pleasant add
on.

previously
The picture is magic and the pixelations ony kick in when there's a storm
blowing
and even then only for a few minutes till the storm eases up. Day to day
it's like
watching a DVD!  ;^)

Site Timeline