Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 2

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Yet plasma is heavily promoted despite this shortcoming

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Hmmm, and why do you $$$think$$$ it's being heavily promoted despite this
shortcoming?

Regards,
John

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Hmm, let me guess, 1 tower for analogue and 20 towers for digital.

I would be far better spending the money for watching TV over the web.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

The money you would otherwise spend installing 20 towers?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Naah, the money I would spend on getting the set top box and new
widescreen TV could be invested and interest spent on better adsl
service..

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

IPTV is already being delivered in a number of worldwide trials.

Telstra (not foxtel) will be rolling out their own version of this later
this year (VOD for movies - not true iptv).

Cheers,
Dean

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

and we would be spared.

[snip]

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

: This is a forced death for the existing system which seems
: to work damn fine in other parts of the world so why change
: it?

Absolutely no reason, except arbitrary parliamentary decisions. It was the same
with the phase-out of analogue mobile phones, it actually didn't NEED to happen,
but the govt. decreed that it would, by a certain date.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

That's a rather simplistic and misinformed opinion.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

You are correct there. By talking about phasing out the analoge phone
system, the political parties encouraged a lot of political donations.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I think that's back to front. The political donations get the pollies to do
whatever they are asked.
The donations must come first.

MrT.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Sometimes they need to suggest possible reasons to donate to do, or not
do something,

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:55:29 +1030, Chasing Kate

Most countries in the world like the US, UK, Canada, etc are now
almost 100% digital.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"KLR"

 **  It is less  -  but not dramatically.

Once all planned HD and SD signals are on air * together*  there will be
almost no benefit -   the full power of the original transmitter will still
be needed.

**  No such benefit exists.

**  What drivel  -  the improvement ( no noise of ghosts) is visible on all
sets.

**  Some VHF space will be opened up  -   UHF is going to get real crowded
though.

 **  Dual channel STBs  exist.

**  To decode two MPEG  signals at once almost doubles the amount of
circuitry needed.

**  Total pipe dream   -  off with the pixies stuff.

 **  There will be in a couple of years  ;-)

...............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

One of stuffs the govt was to put the cart before the horse.
They blackmailed the TV stations to change to digital or loose your
license well before any STB or Digital TVs became available to the
general public. Then theres the marketing balls up, retailers of
equipment had no idea and no training. Not even the stores had a
picture that was even remotely watchable, and always blamed the
equipment.

Compared to the Intro of Color
TAFEs were training techs on all factors of the new system,
years before it was released. The acceptance of color was
very quick, even though it was expensive.

And theres the regional areas......
Some can't even get a Phone on, so how are they going to get
digital TV.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"ferret"   =   ferkwit

 **  Totally false.

 **  None is needed.

 **  Blatant lie.

**  Asinine drivel -   STBs are piss simple to use with any TV and antenna.

 **  Ever heard of radio waves  -   ferkwit  ??

      No wires involved  !!

...........   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

When digital TV was announced did they say we were only going to have SD
digital.Or has that changed now.
Cheers
Joe
antenna.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

That is all rubbish.

The reason colour was sucessful was because adding colour was a
significant improvement in the veiwing experience.

The reason digital has been a failure is that it offers only
incremental improvement in sound and picture at great expense.
Anything that could have appealed to viewers like extra content was
banned to please Packer and Ten.

Digital TV has sort of worked where it is suitable: Pay TV. People
will pay the extra for digital pay TV, which by the way has picture
and sound of far less quality than the FTA HD standard that was
manadated.

The idea that people will pay more to watch the same FTA stuff full of
ads in digital was the problem.

dewatf.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"dewatf"

  ** Crap  -   good  STBs cost around  $100.

In 1976, a  colour TV cost  $700 to $ 800   =  about  $4000 to $ 5000 today.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

But apart from penile sublimation of bragging rights, why would I spend
it to get the same crap I get now.

That one died along time ago and when it comes to $4,000 dollars, well
that is about enough DVD's to run on the old one or on my computer
screen.

Site Timeline