Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Yes there's a parliamentary inquiry on at the moment
looking into why more people are not purchasing digital
set top boxes....

In other words a great piss up for the people involved LOL and
nothing constructive will come out of it IMHO......

But the one question I'd like answered is why?

Why do we have to go to full digital TV?

This is a forced death for the existing system which seems
to work dam fine in other parts of the world so why change
it?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Chasing Kate"

**  Analogue TV was invented in the 1930s and colour TV came out in the
early 1950s  -  it was a product of the valve era which has lasted a very
long time.  Similarly for AM and FM broadcast radio which will go digital
too before long.

Digital TV simply offers too many technical benefits to ignore at a cost to
the consumer that is tiny.

http://www.abc.net.au/reception/digital/digi_benefits.htm

............    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Better stop listening to the propaganda and pop down to your local  Harvey Norman
and check it out yourself.

Digital TV really doesn't look any better then PAL from what I've seen... it does
manage to get rid of "ghosting" that you get in standard TV reception, but then
you have the downside of having to see shitty pixelization of the image from the
digital compression.

-TheMan-

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

As the previous poster said, Digital TV simply offers too many *technical*
benefits. How it looks is just one benefit.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"TheMan"  =   "TheFuckwit"

 ** That is just how mine looks.

.............  Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

[snip]

You'd better get yours looked at then because mine looks better than
DVD (except with the AFL).

[snip]

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Hi all

I've just recently re-subscribed to this NG (and others) after a fairly long
absence. Dial up was too slow. Now that I have finally got Broadband, things
are much better. It is good to see that some things in this NG haven't
changed. It is with great fear & trepidation that I type my first post :-)

I just want to add my comments on this thread

My first real experience with Digital TV was last night (Friday) when I went
over to my neighbours place to see the AFL on his new 42" Plasma & HDTV DTB
etc. I did have a bit of a preview of HDTV a few days earlier & was
considerably impressed, BUT when Ch9 started showing some fast live AFL
action with lots of background (crowd), the HDTV seemed to lose the plot.
Pixelation & jaggies where all over the place. The spectators were reduced
to blotches & squares. My neighbour kept saying, "It's out of focus". We
switched to the Standard Definition mode which seemed to improve things
abit. I did notice that there were very few fast camera pans which included
the crowd after the first 1/4.

Maybe the camera crew etc are still coming to grips with some of the 'ways'
of Digital TV so things may improve.

Maybe the neighbours equipment wasn't setup properly

Ian implies below that his AFL is not good. He did not elaborate here as to
why.

What is means to me is that if this is typical of DTV, I will keep my good
old analogue for a while yet. (I would like the wide screen bit though)

BTW all things aside, viewing the AFL on wide screen was far better than
watching it on his old set which had the goal posts at about 25deg to the
vertical when viewed from behind.

Regards

Chopper Playne.

Remove Chopper from email address

computer
digital

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:54:13 +1000, "Chopper"

I still use my old Sony analogue TV in conjunction with a Topfield
TF5000PVRt STB and while this is not a HDTV unit, I have never seen
any pixellation or "jaggies" while watching AFL in 16:9 or any other
format. The resolution and clarity of the picture are eminently
superior to standard analogue FTA and I get excellent analogue
reception where I am anyway. This will do me until I can afford a
larger widescreen display.

Perhaps your neighbour's STB is not one of the better quality units
such as the Topfield and that is what is causing the pixellation and
"jaggies" problem.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Hi Ross

Do you notice any difference between Ch9's coverage & that of Ch10's?
I find even on analogue, 9 doesn't seem as good as 10?

--
Regards

Chopper

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:53:31 +1000, "Chopper"

I haven't specifically checked the difference but will do so next
weekend.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:22:01 GMT, Ross Herbert

While I wasn't able to have both Ch9 and Ch10 AFL on screen at the
same time my impression is that both channels give a very good display
on SD. However, I prefer the Ch9 presentation because they don't keep
the scoreline on the screen all the time like 10 does. Ten's solid
black scoreline permanently at the bottom of the screen blocks off
approx 1/8th of the viewable screen height.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

No it isn't. There is no single main benefit.

PAL isn't being phased out. Analogue is being phased out and it isn't by
2010. It's at least 2014 in some areas.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

But is there any logical reason to phase it out?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Not much help if your not in those areas!
Melb. and Sydney will be the first to switch off. That's a lot of people.
Nearly all TV's still come with an analog only tuner. Even the DVD/HD
recorders people are still buying right now will be obsolete with their
analog tuners. Programming them will be impossible just by adding a STB. The
manufacturers are happy, they get to sell you another set.

MrT.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Chasing Kate"

** There are any number of posts supply the logical reasons.

There are web sites that supply them  -  I posted one URL.

............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Is there any one reason? No.
Was there any one reason that we got TV in the first place? No.

Basically it comes down to progress. Everything is going to digital
eventually whether you like it or not and digital is better than analogue so
why not?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Awww you gonna have a cry because you blew 8 grand on a fizzer technology. Want a
tissue mate?

-TheMan-

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Try a high definition Plasma screen connected to a high definition STB, via
DVI or HDMI output, and you'll see that the quality is better than DVD, even
though not many programs are transmitted in REAL high definition.

I know I'll never go back to crappy Analogue TV.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

plasma can never look good., poor resolution poor colour depth and poor
shade rendering.

  lcd maybe

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Nice if you wantto buy a new unit every other year. Their longevity
is an issue.

Nice if only two people are going to watch it.

I took advantag of the cheaper CRT prices and I'll wait for
the new technologies to get more `realistic'

Site Timeline