Digital TV recording

In Germany many of the analog TV stations transmit VPS/PDC data which is used by
a VCR to control recording times - so if you want
to record a program you just enter the Showview (G-Code) number, set the VPS
flag and the VPS-enabled recorder will start at the
exact time the desired program starts, even if it is delayed or advanced from
the published start time. It even removes all the ads
by pausing during ad breaks!!!

The digital TV broadcasts don't seem to offer this feature, people have
complained about missing the start/end of programs, despite
programming their PVRs to start recording earlier.
It seems this aspect of technology has gone backwards, not forwards.

This link explains VPS and PDC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_Delivery_Control

Re: Digital TV recording

It would be nice, but this is Australia after all.  I recall there
used to be this "G Code" feature, and I remember there being problems
with its accuracy too.

I did use the PVR feature on a WES "strong" set top box I bought about
a year back, and
I can't remember if it was accurate or not.   In this case you
selected the program from a list in the EPG and pressed record IIRC.
IT did not cut the ads, and I cant remember if it started exactly at
the beginning of the program or a few minutes early.  I also have
noticed that the EPG info displayed is often wrong, like you change to
a channel and the program listed on the screen is the previous one,
that actually finished 15 min ago.

The other problem was that this STB would record only in HD, and would
use up all of the 4G thumb drive in a little more than an hour, which
was a bit impractical for recording multiple programs.  I should have
used an external hard drive but in the end discovered that the extra
channels were really not that exciting after a few weeks and mostly
gave up watching TV, as have many people I know.

On the other hand the PVR setup was a lot better than 20+ years back
when you would pay around $1000 for a reasonable brand VCR and about
$8 a tape IIRC.  Im sure the programming was better then too - or am I
just getting old ?

Re: Digital TV recording

by a VCR to control recording times - so if you want
flag and the VPS-enabled recorder will start at the
the published start time. It even removes all the ads
complained about missing the start/end of programs, despite
PDChttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_Delivery_Control

I wasn't aware of it using Internet Relay Chat.

==========

Re: Digital TV recording

Um, in NZ our digital TV service 'FreeView" offers a programme guide screen
(including all DTV channels) so that with a suitably-emabled HDD/DVD/BR
recorder, recording can be set with the touch of a button, or if a series,
record the whole series. Channel/Start/Stop are all set automatically, and
are triggered by tramsnitted on the EPG signal. Schedule changes are also
automagically accomodated.

Do you not have anything like that in oz ?

In VCR days (and still on ATV) we have G-Code programming.  But this code
simply enters the preset Date/Time  automatically, and is not triggered by
any transmitted signal.

geoff

Re: Digital TV recording

We have the same thing but the EPG is not accurate.

I still have a VCR with G-Code.

==========

Re: Digital TV recording
by a VCR to control recording times - so if you want
flag and the VPS-enabled recorder will start at the
the published start time. It even removes all the ads
complained about missing the start/end of programs, despite

The advertisers are paying the broadcasters.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Digital TV recording
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 23:51:05 +0100, "yaputya"

by a VCR to control recording times - so if you want
flag and the VPS-enabled recorder will start at the
the published start time. It even removes all the ads

It doesn't pause during adverts. The TV stations do what they can
to prevent that.

complained about missing the start/end of programs, despite

The problem is that the EPG is inaccurate.

==========

Re: Digital TV recording

by a VCR to control recording times - so if you want
flag and the VPS-enabled recorder will start at the
the published start time. It even removes all the

It does pause in Germany, at least in the programs that I have recorded with VPS.
Not all German TV channels use VPS however.

complained about missing the start/end of programs,

Yeah, I have noticed that EPG is sometimes different on a PVR to a TV, which
seems a bit ridiculous. I still use the old teletext to
check program schedules. Teletext was never widely used in OZ, probably because
the TV stations are too tight-arsed to pay the staff
required to run it properly. In Germany teletext is used on nearly all the free
channels. I find it useful when recording programs
on my S-VHS recorder, as all the teletext info is also recorded and you can read
the teletext pages about the program later.

Re: Digital TV recording

Come to think of it, TV is slowly but surely becoming yesterdays
thing, kind of like the dinosaur.
I think if anything digital might have made it worse, via just
providing more channels of shit.  To
make it worse for the stations - the advertising revenue is now split
between this many more channels,
and this has to hurt programming budgets - IE having to provide more
for the same or less.

As an advertiser, having about 15 channels available, it would
probably give you a 1/15th chance of your ad being seen, compared to a
1 in 5 previously.

Additionally, most popular series from TV (as well as just about any
movie ever made) that you want to watch are available via torrents, or
downloadable from links in the filestube.com search engine.  Most of
these would be ad free to boot, and you can watch any time you want,
often even before they hit TV.

Site Timeline