Digital TV noise

I get digital noise, mostly on channel seven, at different times. just
checking the 'report' from the STB it says: quality- 100%, signal- 64%,
S/N ratio- 32db. so how good are these figures? obviously quality is not
a problem. what determines quality anyway? thanks,

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Digital TV noise
Pretty much useless figures unless the std is known , however it
indicates the signal is well above the noise so would be watchable

--

Re: Digital TV noise

Pay attention to what you're replying to.

Re: Digital TV noise

yeah it's fine except when it's not.. :)

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Digital TV noise
Which is normal with digital
  now can you think of a commonality when it happens
  we have channel 44 problems with certain overcast conditions and
serious storms not that it matters unless gasoline is on

I should suggest once timing is established a house survey be done and
any interfering wall warts or electrical devices be audited

--

Re: Digital TV noise

Reported "quality" is a rubbery number related to decoded bit error
rate.  At 100% it infers effectively zero decode errors, which doesn't
really fit with noise causing an issue.

Question time - are you seeing those numbers at the same time as the
noise is present?  If so, the STB reckons all is good at its output
but the downstream teev is bitching.  What does that tell you?

Re: Digital TV noise

No those are the figures when the picture is fine. I will try to get
some when the pic is bad. btw I have several digital FTA devices
including the Telstra T-Box, and believe it or not, it handles
interference rather well. what local devices could possibly cause
interference with the digital FTA transmission? the noise often comes
between 4:30 and 7:30, but at other times too of course. I have a good
antenna system set up, but my four way splitter amp is plastic (Kingray)
and I wondered if the interference could be getting in that way, and if
a metal one would be superior in that regard? any recommendations? also
notice the interference comes more during wind, storm, and heat! but I
removed the (fringe area) antenna dismantled and cleaned all the element
connections and redid the cable connection. that boosted the signal
level a bit. this was about 12 months ago now tho.

rgds,

Pete
Re: Digital TV noise

transmission?

Nothing should do.

Thats suspicous.

But it may have a fault.

interference could be getting in that way,

Unlikely.

See if you ever get the problem without it.

See above.

So you may have a fault, a poor joint somewhere.

connections and redid the cable

But may not have fixed the fault.

Re: Digital TV noise

Presumably you mean pixellation.

S/N ratio- 32db. so how good are these

That quality 100% is dubious.

Its a digital thing.

Re: Digital TV noise

"felix_unger"

** Is that "7 Digital" on VHF  177.5 MHz  ?

 Are you in one of the capital cities?

 You must describe what the "digital noise" looks like too.

....  Phil

Re: Digital TV noise

yes

melbourne, outer suburban

picture and sound break up. pixilation

rgds,

Pete
Re: Digital TV noise

"felix_unger"

**  For how long ?

    Just brief bursts of "noise" or continuous ?

....  Phil

Re: Digital TV noise

brief bursts that keep breaking up the picture and sound so you cant
follow a conversation

rgds,

Pete
Re: Digital TV noise

"felix_unger"

** And you also posted:

" the noise often comes between 4:30 and 7:30, but at other times too of
course. "

** This is characteristic of RF impulse noise generated by switch arcing
when lighting and appliances are switched on and off. These switches may be
in your own home or neighbours homes or even street lighting.

It is the MOST COMMON problem experienced by viewers of DTV with inadequate
signals or aerial systems.

If you look at channel 7 analogue, you will see noise burst patterns in the
picture at the same time.

It is the BANE of those living in unit blocks and using indoor antennas.

...  Phil

Re: Digital TV noise

Well I do have a good aerial <
http://ausnet.info/pics/aerial.jpgsystem
and use a splitter amp, but I'll check to see what shows on the analogue
channel. mite give a clue. good call.

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: Digital TV noise

"felix_unger"

** Don't be a prick.

 Your signal is weak and your cabling is crap  - or else there would be no
interference.

 And that link does not work.

...  Phil

Re: Digital TV noise

??? I do have a good aerial

you don't know what the cabling is

It does

Re: Digital TV noise

"felix_unger"

** Bullshit it does and you are a stupid, trolling PITA pig.

     Fuck off.

....  Phil

Re: Digital TV noise

must be time for your meds, nutjob..