Digital TV In Australia

"Barry OGrady"

** Shame about SBS on UHF 34.

And all of rural Australia.

In reality:

ABC uses analogue Ch 12 for SD, HD and ABC2.

Channel 7 uses analogue Ch 6 for SD and HD.

Channel 9 uses analogue Ch 8 for SD and HD.

Channel 10 uses analogue Ch 11 for SD and HD.

SBS uses analogue Ch 34 for SD, HD and SBS 2.

( Channel 31 is an analogue signal only )

Each old analogue channel can accommodate 2 x SD and 1 x HD signal simultaneously.

Rural Australia uses UHF for all channels.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

We have MAJOR issues picking up the analogue tv service in our area, so what chance has digital got in such a situation. I would imagine it would have a signal strength requirement like satellite services, where it has to have a minimum signal before it can display its picture etc. We have ABC with fuzz, Prime (7) in black and white, SBS depends on the weather, NBN (9) drops in and out as it pleases and Southern Star (10) is good some nights and non existent on other nights. We have a masthead booster and two antennas (one uhf and the other has both bands) so all according to the twits in this area installing them should be fine. Over the road from us can't get normal FTA tv because of the powerlines and both beside and behind us have the same as us. The olds a few hundred metres away need three antennas to get a 1/2 decent service and the signal is not good enough on ANY to get teletext which I used to use all the time when I spent some time in Sydney.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

Sounds like your trying to act as a koori. And if you are your failing real bad.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

Where are you located?

Reply to
dmm

koori iz fud frum india, no? Hou I act as a koori, pliz to axplin?

Reply to
Rhapsody

Some info may be of interest in this document.

Also have a look here, particularly the last couple of sentences.

In short, if your analogue reception is so poor or non-existent, then digital may not work for you. However if you haven't already, you should also look over the DBA website, particularly the link re when is digital coming to your area. You may get satisfactory reception from another site.

Reply to
noone

Is it? I thougt aerials were dependant on carrier frequency, not the content of the carrier. Must have slept through that lesson at tech.

Reply to
two bob

Loosing teletext is a small price to pay to be out of Sydney.

Reply to
two bob

I was told the other day by a supplier of antennas that digital will not work on ribbon cable!

Alan

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

They're probably going more to places like Mr.Antenna, etc, dedicated antenna installers, rather than retail outlets .. I know when i got my new antenna on, i got it from bunnings and it is a combination antenna .. actually what I had to get as we have a combination of analogue and digital sets throughout our house running from the one antenna now, but I did notice there was a lack of dedicated digital antennas ..

Reply to
Lord-Data

"Lord-Data"

** No sign of them on offer on those guys web sites.

The wacky thing is that most folk NEVER watch the ABC yet are forced to buy antennas 3 times bigger than needed anyhow.

A "digital antenna" will work fine for all current analogue signals except Ch 2.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

West of Forster.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

Thanks for that, looking at the info now. That K band system is expensive, the local Leading Edge Electronics has a C1 system, box and dish $400 or if we already have an Austar dish, the box for $250. Looks like it may be the option..although I'm getting sick of the BS on tv most of the time anyway.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

I also forgot to mention, our next closest transmission site from Middle Brother (north Taree) is Newcastle, some 200km away.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

I've decided I'd rather spend the money on cheap DVDs (10 movies for $8), by the time I spend the amount I would have spent on stuff to get digital, I'll have an impressive collection of shit that is better that the movies on free to air.

Reply to
Terry Collins

Tsunami Australia while reading the NewsGroups, found courage and express out opinion in news:A9tyf.217851$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

I got digital setup done at Smiths Lake up on 5 meter pole. You should be able to do similar, just use higher pole maybe?

Reply to
Parmin

Am located central to Forster, Gloucester and Taree between the hills behind Nabiac.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

Ontop of my last, I think our biggest issue is the fact that the antennas are not really designed for poor reception areas and every person down the street with the same antenna (both V and U) have the exact same issue. If we weren't renting I would buy a couple of 8footers like the old man has, but since he is in a gully, even they are finding it hard to keep reception.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

And probably not as repetitive. I laugh at Austar/Foxtel/Optus now, when it come out they made proud that it had no ads like FTA tv, now everytime we go to the inlaws in Penrith who have Optus cable, it has as many ads as our FTA but at a BS price.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia