Digital TV In Australia

Supposedly in 2008 we will lose the normal analogue 'free to air'
TV channels. They are then going to leave us with full digital TV
and that's about it.

One thought does arise from this and this may sound, and probably
even IS far fetched but could the use of Digital signals lead to direct
manipulation of content?

ie: editing of news items on the fly if they are of a sensitive nature....

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Digital broadcast .. nothing else .. you do realise that for the large part
the signal you recieve by analogue TV is mostly delivered digitally anyway
..

Re: Digital TV In Australia

If that means we have to pay I won't care what's on. It'l be just like the
50's sitting round the radio and maybe we will be paying a lot less for the
advertising component of things we buy.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Digital TV is still "Free-to-Air"
Doesn't cost a cent apart from the initial set-top box which can be had
for well under $100.
Digital has lots of advantages over analog, and it is available now.
Yes, there are some shortcomings too, but they are relatively minor.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV In Australia

"David L. Jones"

**  I still cannot find any true  "digital antennas" on sale in Sydney.

 That is, one that covers channels 6 - 12 VHF and  28 - 69 UHF  -   eg Hills
have them in their trade only catalogue.

 All the shops and antenna installers want to sell you a full VHF/UHF job.

 Big and UGLY !

........   Phil

Re: Digital TV In Australia

You want  aus.rough.trade     ---------------------->

Re: Digital TV In Australia

ROFL

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Are you trying to cause trouble?

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Moi?  Never.  I just thought your suggestion was hilarious.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:00:46 +1100, "Phil Allison"

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a digital antenna? Would I be correct
in assuming that the digital bands are outside of the normal analog
range of channels/antennas?

Re: Digital TV In Australia

"The Real Andy"
 "Phil Allison"

**  Must have wanked himself completely blind.

     LOL

........  Phil

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Digial TV can have channels outside what normal analog TV antenna are
designed for.
In Sydney the ABC on digital for instance is on CH12 instead of CH2.
Many older analog VHF antenna can have significant loss of gain on
CH12. "Digital" antenna are simply designed for these channels.
See www.dba.org.au for the channel allocation.

There are also "log periodic" digital antenna that claim to achieve
lower bit error rate on digital TV, at the expense of gain.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV In Australia

All antennas can receive digital broadcast because the initial carrier wave
is exactly the same.  The only difference between the digital antenna and
the regular is that the digital has a larger gain for those bad reception
areas.

Instead of snow for poor reception you get problems such as the sound
processor turning off, pixalation of the pictore or the picture will drop
off entirely.

My "bleeding obvious" guess that the reception that is furtherest away from
the transmitters will be susceptible hence why a digital antenna is the
better choice.  Also the choice of cables because they can also cause the
signal to drop.  There are grades for digital reception.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Why are the trade buying them if it's not to resell them to the retail
trade?

Re: Digital TV In Australia

"two bob"

  **  I see no sign they are.

.........  Phil

Re: Digital TV In Australia

That's because you are looking into the entrails of the wrong chook.

Re: Digital TV In Australia

They're probably going more to places like Mr.Antenna, etc, dedicated
antenna installers, rather than retail outlets .. I know when i got my new
antenna on, i got it from bunnings and it is a combination antenna ..
actually what I had to get as we have a combination of analogue and digital
sets throughout our house running from the one antenna now, but I did notice
there was a lack of dedicated digital antennas ..

Re: Digital TV In Australia

"Lord-Data"

 **  No sign of them on offer on those guys web sites.

The wacky thing is that most folk NEVER watch the ABC yet are forced to buy
antennas 3 times bigger than needed anyhow.

A "digital antenna" will work fine for all current analogue signals except
Ch 2.

..........  Phil

Re: Digital TV In Australia

Matchmaster have digital only models
http://www.matchmaster.com.au /
Presumably will sell to the public, based in Punchbowl.

Dave :)

Re: Digital TV In Australia

"David L. Jones"

**  Their DC15 looks like a nice one  -  reasonable gain and only 1.5 metres
long.

    Sold in packs of 5.

    Shame about that.

Site Timeline